Carbon trap and MAF readings

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
I've read some people say that removing this thing affects the MAF readings which would imply it would need a tune. I'm aware that Mustangs in other countries do not have it, but those cars also have different headers (unless I'm mistaken) which means they're also probably running a different stock tune.

I did the sound tube removal which would, in hindsight, probably have a similar impact, if there is one, but it didn't cross my mind back then.

So does anyone have any input? Every time someone has brought it up, it's been completely glossed over. I can't see it really impacting anything unless the readings were taken during an open loop or before the ecu had a chance to adapt.

I am keeping the stock filter at the moment, and I'm not expecting much of anything for the carbon filter's removal (it's definitely not the restrictive POS found in BMWs and the like), but the itch to do something is kicking in. It's definitely not like the days of the pushrod 5.0 where a day of messing with the timing and spark plug gap could be a fun little time killer.
Sponsored

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
I ran an 11.9@119mph bone stock with no tune in mediocre air after removing the carbon trap. If it slowed my car down at all, then I must have the fastest stock gen 3 in the world

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I ran an 11.9@119mph bone stock with no tune in mediocre air after removing the carbon trap. If it slowed my car down at all, then I must have the fastest stock gen 3 in the world
Some autos get 11.8 so maybe you lost a tenth :giggle:

I think the issue was more that in made power delivery a little inconsistent instead of a smooth gain as engine speed increases. I'm just curious if anyone has checked, or if those that have had this observation can chime in about it.

dn1984

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10 Premium
Some autos get 11.8 so maybe you lost a tenth :giggle:

I think the issue was more that in made power delivery a little inconsistent instead of a smooth gain as engine speed increases. I'm just curious if anyone has checked, or if those that have had this observation can chime in about it.
Power delivery seems fine to me

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Glad you posted this, I pulled the trap from my '16, dropped in an aFE dry filter and had a Mishimoto intake tube (for sale :D), and the sound tube removed (no hookup on the sound tube), and was running a tune.

New car, '19, pulled the sound tube again, but just capped off the stock intake tube, moved over the aFE filter. While I was going that, I forgot to check if the MY18+ still had the little carbon trap, knowing it does, I'll definitely remove it. I'm currently tuned by AED, currently on a 93 tune, but moving to a Flex Tune, so I'm assuming with my logs, it will be accounted for (if it even needs to be ...)

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Glad you posted this, I pulled the trap from my '16, dropped in an aFE dry filter and had a Mishimoto intake tube (for sale :D), and the sound tube removed (no hookup on the sound tube), and was running a tune.

New car, '19, pulled the sound tube again, but just capped off the stock intake tube, moved over the aFE filter. While I was going that, I forgot to check if the MY18+ still had the little carbon trap, knowing it does, I'll definitely remove it. I'm currently tuned by AED, currently on a 93 tune, but moving to a Flex Tune, so I'm assuming with my logs, it will be accounted for (if it even needs to be ...)
I'm hoping it doesn't but I've had it happen where doing something as small as removing that metal screen (don't know if newer cars have it but the thing that smoothed air for the MAF) threw things way out of wack. Granted, though, if the tune accounts for the sound tube then that would have a similar impact.

If there are fluctuations shown in your log, I'd definitely like to know!

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's an emissions thing, not a MAF function stability part.

OP
OP
Dfeeds

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
It's an emissions thing, not a MAF function stability part.
I'm aware but some people have said it's made their MAF readings appear wonky. Otherwise
Removing carbon trap will not affect maf readings...
I'm not asking because I had a random thought on some lonely night that I couldn't sleep. I'm asking because I've read people claim this; on our car and others. So, considering I don't presently have a way to check myself and how it's not a drop in filter, I figured I'd ask.

Saying it doesn't is an acceptable answer and the one I prefer, but then why have some said otherwise?

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I'm aware but some people have said it's made their MAF readings appear wonky. Otherwise

I'm not asking because I had a random thought on some lonely night that I couldn't sleep. I'm asking because I've read people claim this; on our car and others. So, considering I don't presently have a way to check myself and how it's not a drop in filter, I figured I'd ask.

Saying it doesn't is an acceptable answer and the one I prefer, but then why have some said otherwise?
I logged stock box/filter versus removed trap and dry flow filter. Maf counts were 48-49 stock and went up to 51. That is data. I posted these results in a thread back first of year.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Placebo.

armykyle1 [HACKED ACCOUNT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP premium
I didn't really notice any difference on the stock tune before and after the removal of the carbon trap. Throttle response seemed slightly increased.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
It is before the MAF, therefore the MAF sensor will adjust for any flow differences.
Sponsored