Sponsored

Carbon fibre & Ecoboost for the next Mustang GT?

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I probably shouldn't read too much into this......or should I?

I think Raj Nair may have just given a strong indication that it will........

(he specifically mentions the next Mustang GT at 2m 38secs)

"Those are just a couple of examples of technologies that will all be valuable in designing the next Ford Fusion or the next Mustang GT"

[ame]

I just think it's interesting and, potentially very significant, that he specifically mentioned the Mustang GT when they've just been discussing the GT's (race car) Ecoboost engine :ninja:

(oh, and I'd assume he's talking about the S650 Mustang GT for the '21MY)
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
People will lost theirs minds without a V8. Til they find out a turbo V6 makes just as much power and more torque. Ford will do just like BMW does and just play pretty noises thru the sound system to make it sound Mustangish.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
They will still offer the V8, it will be in limited numbers and at a very steep premium. Although Ford does have more than enough CAFE credits and a lineup full of cars and cuv's that bring down the corporate average where they can still get away with it. I think Dodge has more to worry about in regards to losing the Hemi in the LX cars than Ford or Chevy do.

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The v8 isn't going anywhere. This topic pops up like once a month. I personally have seen the f150 road map all the way to 2020 and it will still have the 5.0 power plant.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
The v8 isn't going anywhere. This topic pops up like once a month. I personally have seen the f150 road map all the way to 2020 and it will still have the 5.0 power plant.
To be fair trucks arent held to the same CAFE standards as the cars.

Sponsored

paullyd210

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
A ticking time bomb ;)
For the S650 I can see this. However, I personally don't see Ford abandoning the V8 just yet, I believe we will see both TTV6 and V8 engine options coincide with one another just like they are doing with the EB and V6 currently until eventually the V6 goes bye bye. :(

It would be cool to see them bring the SVO moniker back and leave a V8 in GT's. I can already picture it in my mind the letters SVO on a decklid panel, an easy was to differentiate the two engines.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I think for sure the S650 will mimic the F-150 path and also the Ford GT path. Lighter and with a 2.3 or 2.7 as the entry engine and the TTV6 for the main engine. The V8 will fall under a special model like Audi does with their S or RS series

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Hmmm interesting. Well I've heard it'll be an all-turbo lineup for the S650, V8 and V6 included, so maybe that's what they're referencing in those Ford GT comments. I think there'd be too much backlash if they ditched the V8 in a GT this soon. Like I've said in other threads, my guess is a brand new smaller V8 with turbos coming in MY2021. More efficient while still keeping most people happy.

OP
OP
Twin Turbo

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Indeed but, as I said in my original post, I assume he's talking about the S650 ('21MY) GT ;)

50hhh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The thing people have to keep in mind is the American companies are not as worried about cafe standards as people think. Ford has plenty of very high mpg cars in the fleet and lots of CAFE credits built up. The 5.0 is rated at 26mpg you don't think they could hit 30 with cylinder deactivation? The v8 is NOT doomed and ford will not let it die. The more realistic path I see ford taking is a smaller displacement DI v8 with a turbo. Ford has had several small v8s in the past and they WILL implement ecoboost to one of them at some point I think.

Sponsored

TurboMetal

Deadlift or Die.
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2017 F-150 5.0
The 2017 Lincoln MKZ is getting a 3.0 V6 making 400hp/400tq ... I can see this engine making it's way into the mustang lineup. Aye or nay?

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
The 2017 Lincoln MKZ is getting a 3.0 V6 making 400hp/400tq ... I can see this engine making it's way into the mustang lineup. Aye or nay?
I say Nay. If they're going TTV6, it'd be the 3.5 from the F150 IMO. More power and tq. potential and the engines already had a shit ton of testing.

STANGBOY

I Drive Slow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
As long as it makes the same power I don't mind that much cept for the sound of the V8's

pinero61

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Ruby Red Base GT PP
People will lost theirs minds without a V8. Til they find out a turbo V6 makes just as much power and more torque. Ford will do just like BMW does and just play pretty noises thru the sound system to make it sound Mustangish.
Or, they could design an inline 6, and make pretty noises come out the ass end too. :D
Sponsored