Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
  • Banned
In this video, I show 3 different experiences I had changing tires on my 2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP carbon fiber wheels. I tried 3 different shops and had some nervous moments with these $6,000 wheels. The last shop turned out to be the best option, with the best machine. This video is to show HOW to change tires on carbon fiber wheels WITHOUT damage!

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
I am first in line to watch Tomster come in and piss all over a thread with negativity....he might even tell you that Pilots often think they can do everything and it is good that you know your limitations...

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I am first in line to watch Tomster come in and piss all over a thread with negativity....he might even tell you that Pilots often think they can do everything and it is good that you know your limitations...
Hmm. Sounds like you have a little bias? Maybe trolling?

I didnt watch the video, but I have found that if you find a dealer with a hunter touch less, then you are most of the way there.

It also helps if you give the tech an extra $20 to take his time.

I forget, do you own a GT500? A CFTP?

When you do, your opinion may cary some weight.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Was poking fun from that other thread - relax man.

And yes, own a GT500 cftp, and AMG GTR Pro that has the majority of 22,000km in the track.

Went through a gt350 and a gt350r- mangled two of the carbon rims driving it backwards down the mountain I live on in the snow…

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Was poking fun from that other thread - relax man.

And yes, own a GT500 cftp, and AMG GTR Pro that has the majority of 22,000km in the track.

Went through a gt350 and a gt350r- mangled two of the carbon rims driving it backwards down the mountain I live on in the snow…
Thank you for your kind words.

Sponsored

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
2017 Turbo GT, 2019 GT350 racecar, 2021 GT500
I think the carbon fibre brake thread with billy j going calling him out was my fav so far

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I think the carbon fibre break thread with billy j going calling him out was my fav so far
Great, another troll....

Yes, billy J had a lot of good info regarding the wheels and the brakes. I think i should revive those conversations. Anyway, lets leave it all out of this thread, shall we?

I'll tell you what, tomorrow ill resurrect the threads from billy J and reiterate his thoughts on aluminum wheels and carbon brakes tomorrow..

Sound good?

Meet you all there. Enough of this in this thread.

Last edited:

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
Tom, no ones trolling….relax….

2 of my buddies are hunter techs and i asked them who around here has the automatic tire changer and they said nissan dealers are required to get the latest and greatest machines due to the GTR, if they dknt get the stuff, they're not allowed to sell and service the gtr……something Ford should look into

goose, my race shop always puts aluminum tape on the weights to prevent them from moving.

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
goose, my race shop always puts aluminum tape on the weights to prevent them from moving.
Good info, thanks Tony! Can you explain this aluminum tape thing more…? Haven’t heard of it.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
Good info, thanks Tony! Can you explain this aluminum tape thing more…? Haven’t heard of it.
Me either, and I would like to know as well.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Good vid, Goose, thanks. I of course am also interested in the metal tape idea. I presume your guy balanced the wheel/tire combos. If so, did he leave the factory weights in place and spin it up to see or, did he remove them and start from scratch?

I know how hot it is in Dallas this time of year so seeing your guy sweat profusely wasn't surprising. But, I wonder how much of that was his anxiety over the CF wheels? :-)

On another subject sorta, I didn't know how you coated the rough plasma, (I only did the exposed portions of the wheels,) and then I thought...no serious need to buff and remove high spots on that surface, yes? Did you even do any buffing? Me thinks I'll be doing the entire barrel next time.

TIA

OP
OP
Goose17

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
I presume your guy balanced the wheel/tire combos. If so, did he leave the factory weights in place and spin it up to see or, did he remove them and start from scratch?
Weights removed, spun to check balance and new weights applied.
I know how hot it is in Dallas this time of year so seeing your guy sweat profusely wasn't surprising. But, I wonder how much of that was his anxiety over the CF wheels? :-)
:crackup:
On another subject sorta, I didn't know how you coated the rough plasma, (I only did the exposed portions of the wheels,) and then I thought...no serious need to buff and remove high spots on that surface, yes? Did you even do any buffing? Me thinks I'll be doing the entire barrel next time.
I had my PPF/ceramic shop do all the wheels. They use an airbrush and spray quartz on everything. The heat liner does not get buffed. When I got the wheel back from getting repaired, I used Adam’s wheel ceramic and a brush. I just brushed the whole white barrel again... no buffing. I have an airbrush that I used to spray ceramic on a different project, but the mist gets everywhere!

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
all my track rims have aluminum/hvac tape across them to keep the weights in pace. I works beautifully and all the racers do it. It helps reflect heat (dont quote me) and is a must. Below is them putting it on a spare set of race tires. I run my brakes hard and hot, if i dont do this, after one session, the weight glue will melt off.
AA540AD3-06F6-4230-BE3B-BCEC20C24964.jpeg

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
all my track rims have aluminum/hvac tape across them to keep the weights in pace. I works beautifully and all the racers do it. It helps reflect heat (dont quote me) and is a must. Below is them putting it on a spare set of race tires. I run my brakes hard and hot, if i dont do this, after one session, the weight glue will melt off.
AA540AD3-06F6-4230-BE3B-BCEC20C24964.jpeg
I should try that. I use AL HVAC tape as heat shielding on my home generator and the heat makes the glue let go. I use the 3M stuff. Is there a better brand that holds on better?

Tonymustang302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tony
Vehicle(s)
I should try that. I use AL HVAC tape as heat shielding on my home generator and the heat makes the glue let go. I use the 3M stuff. Is there a better brand that holds on better?
nope, off the shelf at home depot is what everyone uses. Its made for cold and hot temps because it needs to resist hvac duct work. I searched amazon and dont think they make high temp.
Sponsored