Carbon fiber mirror covers

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tim (@Goose17) recently did some cosmetic mods to his CFTP. One of which was a carbon fiber veneer. I thought it would look good with the modifications I had planned, so I decided to do the same, but in a different way.

I bought some replacement side view mirror covers from my parts department. They weren't expensive. I ordered the carbon fiber veneer covers from CJ Pony parts a while back. They went on back order, so it took a while to get.

I looked at the process and decided I didn't want them to look like they were attached with double sided tape. I don't want that cheesy look (despite putting on veneer covers, lol). So I decided to go with a strong spray on adhesive. This way, they will never come off and it only cost me a little more to preserve the OEM covers that came with my car. My Xpel guy cut me a few extra pieces of Xpel for each side, so that will be a future project.

I decided to install the replacement mirror covers and then adhere the veneer to the covers as opposed to attaching the carbon fiber veneer to the mirror covers before installing. My rationale was that the veneer needed to be fitted because the mold was set to take into account the slight height difference the double sided tape would create. So by hand, I fitted each veneer to the installed cover until they moved freely with no rubbing when extended or retracted.

The first step was to disassemble the rear view mirror. Set the mirror to facing up and inside. Use a screwdriver to pry the mirror from the motor. After that, the disassembly process is very intuitive. Installation was in the reverse order.

The adhesive is a messy product. I strongly recommend a good prep. Cover all areas surrounding the mirror with some kind of protection (paper, film, etc).

The end result is very good. You have to look real close to see that it is just a veneer. The adhesive holds it down that tight.

Anyway, enjoy.

cover removal.jpg

prep4.jpg

prep2.jpg

inside of veneer.jpg

prep.jpg

adhesive.jpg

adhesive application.jpg

done.jpg

done3.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Goose17

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Many Mustangs (collector)
The covers are cheap and go well with the wheels and wing. Nice work!

Sponsored

edmd007

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 GT350R, 20 GT500 Iconic CFTP
The covers are cheap and go well with the wheels and wing. Nice work!
I agree! I had 100% planned on taking the wheels off, but man the cf weave looks so good. I’m now calculating all the cf parts to add . Alas, this is fun.

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
This is just vinyl of sorts yeah?

Especially if they're really doing the CF Handling Pack, the full CFTP cars should come with real CF mirrors to further differentiate them.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
This is just vinyl of sorts yeah?

Especially if they're really doing the CF Handling Pack, the full CFTP cars should come with real CF mirrors to further differentiate them.
No, they are a real carbon fiber veneer. Not vinyl.

OP
OP
Tomster

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)