Sponsored

Carbon Build-up on Valves on 2.3 Ecoboost

llinthicum1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang
I know this is an old question, but can't find a final answer. Do newer 2.3 Ecoboost engines still have issue with carbon build-up? There had been reports that earlier ecoboost engines had this problem, but was thinking Ford had resolved?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've seen teardown of a '19 2.0 with the issue. And here's a borescope of the inside of my '18 2.3 that you can see inside the intake with obvious carbon build up. You'll also notice the coolant weeping from the headgasket which is another problem these engines suffer from more than is generally thought.
I really can't imagine that Ford has solved the issue and not been bragging about it. Especially since it affects every DI engine that I'm aware of.
PHO00007.JPG

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I don't think there's anything they can do about it, short of installing dual DI/PI injection or a catch can. And I'm pretty sure they'll do neither, because the carbon build-up doesn't affect them in the least.

jdsfly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost, A10
Vehicle Showcase
I know this is an old question, but can't find a final answer. Do newer 2.3 Ecoboost engines still have issue with carbon build-up? There had been reports that earlier ecoboost engines had this problem, but was thinking Ford had resolved?
You'll be hard pressed to find a 2.3 Ecoboost with any symptoms from carbon buildup on the valves. I've looked and looked. You'll find some with a little carbon, but very rarely is it enough to cause any symptoms. The early 3.5 Ecoboost had some problems with it, but not the 2.3, which is a later design. The most common symptoms, of an engine with this problem, are cold start, idle, and drivability issues. Ford used their tune and valve timing, to resolve the issue. Also, API SN+ and SP oils and Top Tier gas help prevent it.

Turboash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ash
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang
All direct injection motors will be prob to valve issues, reason is we don’t have port injection spraying fuel on the valves keeping them clean. Catch can will slow down this process a lot but that’s your only defense, STP makes a injection cleaning system that you can get at AUTOZONE and if you check your valves before with a scope and then after you do the proces, the valves are almost perfectly clean. So I do this every 5-6k miles along with my catch can.

Sponsored

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
This seems to be a condition, somehow?

All direct injection motors will be prob to valve issues, reason is we don’t have port injection spraying fuel on the valves keeping them clean. Catch can will slow down this process a lot but that’s your only defense, STP makes a injection cleaning system

And how does this happen exactly. Fuel, still not washing the stem?

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
So, they didn't solve the issue. They just masked it out. 🤓
Well it be illegal to replace the pvc with a old school breather.
It is said that a meth injection system tends to be one way to clean the intake track of this issue if used a bunch, many bmw owners use them and fill with windshield washer fluid.

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Well it be illegal to replace the pvc with a old school breather.
Sure. But it wouldn't be illegal to install a factory catch can, or to ditch the direct injection, or to use a combined direct/indirect injection, or to design valves and/or an inlet system that make carbon deposits less likely to form, or whatever - you name it.
I'm sure there are solutions. Sweeping the problem under the carpet isn't one of them.

Last edited:

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
Sure. But it wouldn't be illegal to install a factory catch can, or to ditch the direct injection, or to use a combined direct/indirect injection, or to design valves and/or an inlet system that make carbon deposits less likely to form, or whatever - you name it.
The 3.7 ecoboost had d/i and port to fix the issue.
or limit it. time will tell.
I have the catch cans on both our 2.3t vehicles.
We don't have enough miles on either vehicle yet to know how much of a difference it make.
truck 3 years old 14k miles, Car 2300 miles

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
You'll be hard pressed to find a 2.3 Ecoboost with any symptoms from carbon buildup on the valves. I've looked and looked. You'll find some with a little carbon, but very rarely is it enough to cause any symptoms. The early 3.5 Ecoboost had some problems with it, but not the 2.3, which is a later design. The most common symptoms, of an engine with this problem, are cold start, idle, and drivability issues. Ford used their tune and valve timing, to resolve the issue. Also, API SN+ and SP oils and Top Tier gas help prevent it.
Well, mine doesn't display any symptoms of carbon build up but if you look at the photo I posted above I definitely have more than a little. The engine is at 80k miles.
I can see where the oil might make a very slight difference since it's lubricating the stem but I'm unsure how the fuel matters since it never touches the back side of the valve.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
This can all be cleaned up with engine additives like STP or Liquimoly. Dump a bottle into your fuel tank after you fill your tank up and it'll help with the gunk cleanup. HOWEVER, change your oil after this stuff has been added to your engine. You'll notice a better performing engine after.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
This can all be cleaned up with engine additives like STP or Liquimoly. Dump a bottle into your fuel tank after you fill your tank up and it'll help with the gunk cleanup. HOWEVER, change your oil after this stuff has been added to your engine. You'll notice a better performing engine after.
How does any fuel additive clean the back of the valves on a DI engine? It never touches the back of the valves. That's why there's carbon build up in the first place. I've seen liquid cleaners that claim to clean the valves if injected into the intake manifold via a vacuum line but I haven't seen any results worth the cost of the chemical or the risk to the engine.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
How does any fuel additive clean the back of the valves on a DI engine? It never touches the back of the valves. That's why there's carbon build up in the first place. I've seen liquid cleaners that claim to clean the valves if injected into the intake manifold via a vacuum line but I haven't seen any results worth the cost of the chemical or the risk to the engine.
Would have to be through intake/TB on DI. Here's a good video to watch. I'm used to just using fuel additives on my older vehicles to clean them up.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Carbon build up on 4 cyl form lugging them is a multi decade issue. Just need to rev them often ...at least that worked for me always
Believe me, I'm not "lugging" my engine, ever...
Ecoboost engines, no matter the brand or name they call them, use direct injection which means that zero fuel flows past the valves into the cylinder. No fuel flowing over the valves means they don't get cleaned which causes carbon build up.
Sponsored