Sponsored

Car won't start? I'm not a knowledgable car person :(

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Hey all,

First I will say that I did make the mistake of not properly setting the car up for the winter on a battery tender or whatever it's called. This is my first time leaving a car undriven for a few months up here in the CT winter.

So I went to start up the car the other day and to absolutely no one's surprise, the battery was dead. So I pulled the SUV around to jump it and when I hooked up the jumper cables, I got some power in the car immediately, radio on, etc.

But when I go to start the car, the lights dim and the dash started flashing and there was just a ticking noise. The check engine light is also showing but so are a bunch of other lights so I'm not sure if that's an issue or not.

I left the other car running trying to charge the battery up for about 20 minutes and even after all that, nothing. Just the same ticking but not an actual sound of the engine trying to chug to life.

Sorry I know very little about cars :/ anyone able to help a fellow out??

Thanks!
Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
Are you using a good set of cables? You also want to make sure the connection is tight when you clip them on to the terminal and that there is no corrosion covering the post. It sounds like you are not getting enough power to start the car and if you are using another running car with no issues, the cables might be the culprit.

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
Are you using a good set of cables? You also want to make sure the connection is tight when you clip them on to the terminal and that there is no corrosion covering the post. It sounds like you are not getting enough power to start the car and if you are using another running car with no issues, the cables might be the culprit.
I'm pretty sure they are decent cables, I jumped at least 5 other cars with them this winter, I can try something else though

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How do the terminals look? Do you know anyone with a battery charger that you can remove the battery and charge it for a bit?

OP
OP

Hatter Shappy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
How do the terminals look? Do you know anyone with a battery charger that you can remove the battery and charge it for a bit?
Terminals look great, very clean. I do't know anyone personally, I know O'Reilly's will do it for me but every time in my life I've ever taken a battery there to get charged, they've told me it's dead and I need a new one. Maybe their right, though, I just don't want to buy a new one if I don't need it.

Actually I have no problem buying a new one, I just don't want to buy a new one if the battery isn't even the issue.

Thanks for the reply!

Sponsored

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your car is an 18. It is covered under the warranty. Call the roadside assistance number and have it towed to a dealer. They should give you a new battery.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
That is almost certainly a poor cable connection or bad cables, probably the connection. Had it happen several times. Adjust the cable connection to the battery a few times and try again.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is almost certainly a poor cable connection or bad cables, probably the connection. Had it happen several times. Adjust the cable connection to the battery a few times and try again.
Maybe use a terminal cleaner.
Sponsored