Sponsored

Car will not stay running

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
I run E85 year round and this time of year car sits on a tender. With only starting it/driving it 1x per week I have no problems. Like others, I throw a bottle of Lucas injector cleaner in it every once in a while and it is good to go.

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Just had the same issue as the OP. Been on e85r. 50 miles to E. Swapped to FF. Car would start and sputter out. After about 8 starts I reloaded E85r tune and started right up.

SilverStallion

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alexis
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I would recommend throwing 4 oz of lucas top engine lube on every fill up. AED recommended that to me when i went E85 about 2 yeas ago. It puts some oil back into the fuel that seals needs since E is so dry

Jhonda

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt pp1
I had this same issue but it’s a easy fix. I posted a thread about it. Had the same symptoms. Just put 5 or more gallons of either 93 or e85 to run the flex tune. The issue is when you switch tunes and your trying to go to flex from e85 the car is still ready for the e85 fuel trims.
Jon from Lund quote he sent me is
“If you have e85 run it down to near empty put 93 in it and then Flash the Flex tune. That is the best way for it to Learn as the initial Flash of the Flex starts at Pump Gas Stoich for learning.

Conman1138

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Connor
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1 6MT - Ruby Red
I've run into this same situation. As others have stated, the Lund flex tune runs fuel trims for 91/93 oct after being flashed, so it struggles to get going with E85 in the tank.

The solution I've found for this is to get the car up to operating temp on the E85 tune BEFORE flashing the flex tune. Pump gas fuel trims on high-E fuel just will not work on a cold start, but I can always get it going on a warm start. It'll idle rough for a few seconds, then immediately starts learning ethanol content and is good to go from there.

My process is always:

1. Fill up at favorite station on the way home from work.
2. Take fuel sample and test it.
3. If it tests lower than 75%, switch to flex tune while car is still warm, and drive it to let it learn like usual.

Never have an issue doing that. But if I let it sit overnight and try to flash the flex tune the next morning, it won't start on a completely cold engine.
Sponsored