Car will not stay running

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
Replacing the MAF didn't work and switching it back the stock tune didn't work either. Now I begin the painful process of sending it back to Ford
Sponsored

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
May be your intake cam phasers?
That's looking like the only thing it could be, just wish there was an easy way to test it besides just buying new ones and swapping them. I'm gonna fully charge the battery as it was down to 11.7v. The info from the PIDs I could see on the ngauge I don't notice anything else wrong. Fuel pressure system is getting power and adequately pressurizing the rail too. Checked all fuses as well.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
That's looking like the only thing it could be, just wish there was an easy way to test it besides just buying new ones and swapping them. I'm gonna fully charge the battery as it was down to 11.7v. The info from the PIDs I could see on the ngauge I don't notice anything else wrong. Fuel pressure system is getting power and adequately pressurizing the rail too. Checked all fuses as well.
It’s a shitty job to replace those. My bill to warranty was 2k including rental. Do your oil pump gears while your in there. I wish I had...

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Sorry, OP, hope it works out.

I hadn't run my car in a couple of days, it had the starting issue a few hours ago, one try, chugged down, second try I kind of fluttered the gas pedal, kept it running, 10 seconds later, running perfect but WOW, I can smell gas, well, corn/E (which smells pretty great :D), really strong, it's running rich as hell, but once it starts it runs hard, fast, and today, it didn't even throw the rich bank 1 and 2 code.

My tuner sort of bailed on me, I mean, I'm cutting him a little break as this is a funky week with new years right in the middle, but if I can't get some kind of improved communication channel, I'll resolve this through PayPal.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going to have a friend look it over with me one last time before it gets flatbedded to ford tomorrow. Just going to snap the throttle open for a bit after it fires up and hold it to see if it stays running. Hopefully it goes and I can burn off the rest of the bad/old/mixed gas and probably bring it to a friends shop. Wish me luck!

3star2nr

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT PP
Have you tried to load the stock tune back in?
This is what you should do.... How are you going to rule out that the issue isn't with something that went wrong during the flash.

Also check the plugs make sure they aren't fouled out. E85 sometimes has hard start issues. I recommend adding some fuel to the tank you said it's showing 18 miles to empty so it probably doesn't have enough fuel in the tank.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This is what you should do.... How are you going to rule out that the issue isn't with something that went wrong during the flash.
I did this and stated so a couple posts back, still doesn't work

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep. It's 100% a fuel issue. I just need to finish burning off the last of the E85. After disconnecting the MAF it turns on, I let it get up to temperature. Run idle for another 5 min then reconnected the MAF. Let the idle stabilize then turned it off, then on while the MAF was connected and it starts up!

It will go into reverse and drive fine, but bringing the RPM above 2k the car will stumble and die, but it will start right back up.

After 15 minutes of this it's idling better and starts up without much trouble. It's still not driveable, I can tell it because there's still old E85 in the tank, it will probably take quite a bit more time but I decided to give it a rest for today and will try another cold start tomorrow and get the rest of the E85 burned off

I cleared the DTCs caused by removing the MAF, but I now have a wrench light and cannot select drive modes. I'm sure this is related to the fuel and running with the MAF off for a while.

So that's where I'm at now, I can honestly say I'm not going back to E85 after this. There's just too many variables and issues, not worth the 15-20hp over 93 for me.

Hopefully, I can get everything fully working, and I'll probably still take it to Ford to get it looked at.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Swapped back to flex on a whim. Start starts up, runs fine, wrench is gone and driveability is back, FINALLY! Going to fill it up with 93 today and back over to the 93 tune. Looks like everything is good for now, I’m going to drive the hell out of it today as I’ve missed driving it for 2 months!

Sponsored

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
FWIW, I ran out all my E, topped it off with good 93, it ran decently (started as expected), but it did do the stall thing I've described above a couple of times. Cleared the DTCs, flashed the 93 performance tune, and it's been running perfectly. No stalls, runs hard, no DTCs, so clearly in my case is was Flex related, tuner and I had a talk, a few other things came up, decided not to run a Flex tune, he made good and refunded that part of the my tune payment.

Zinc03svt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
stang
Swapped back to flex on a whim. Start starts up, runs fine, wrench is gone and driveability is back, FINALLY! Going to fill it up with 93 today and back over to the 93 tune. Looks like everything is good for now, I’m going to drive the hell out of it today as I’ve missed driving it for 2 months!
Not driving your car for two months and leaving it on E with E85 probably not best idea going forward there Chief. ;).

DavidHuff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 5.0
You need to make or buy a fuel rail tool so you can drain your fuel.
I bought my fuel rail adapter off EBAY and made my own tool.

OP
OP
Diocletian

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Not driving your car for two months and leaving it on E with E85 probably not best idea going forward there Chief. ;).
Well too be frank, it was because it wouldn’t start that it went that long. I usually drive it once a week. Should be better now that I got a battery tender and the E85 out of the tank this time though!

Shifting_Gears

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Glad to hear it’s no longer as $50k paperweight.
Sponsored