Car Wash goes terribly wrong

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
Saw this on FB. That's crazy stupid. Lesson for all of us.
Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
Water freezing cold? Mix some hot water into your bucket. Wear a layer or two of disposable gloves. Rinse your car with the cold water, and wash it with your warm soapy water. There's ways to wash your car, he just didn't want to go through the trouble. I've never had to deal with well water, but if you're using it for your household needs, it'll do fine for washing cars. And if you're really worried about water spots and you cant dry it off fast enough, but a few gallons of distilled water and do your final rinse with that.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Funny, the slappy things aren’t mentioned as a reason not to take it through a commercial carwash in the Supplemental....

CLEANING THE EXTERIOR
Washing Your Vehicle
Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicle’s low ground clearance and tire width. Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor. Do not use a power washer or high pressure wand. See the Owner’s Manual for information on cleaning products and vehicle care.

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Find a GOOD body shop. They should be able to do your fender without blending.
I had a Corvette rear-ended and had PPF on the rear quarters. Didn't want them to peel the PPF so they just painted the
rear fascia without blending. Came out perfect.
With today's tech, blending shouldn't be necessary.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt, 2020 GT350R, 2020 Explorer ST
Funny, the slappy things aren’t mentioned as a reason not to take it through a commercial carwash in the Supplemental....

CLEANING THE EXTERIOR
Washing Your Vehicle
Do not drive your vehicle through an automated, commercial car wash due to the vehicle’s low ground clearance and tire width. Wash your vehicle by hand, or by using a touchless commercial wash with no mechanical tracks on the floor. Do not use a power washer or high pressure wand. See the Owner’s Manual for information on cleaning products and vehicle care.

Personally, I am “allergic” to automation. In all seriousness even the so-called brushless automated car washes are a danger as I have heard mishaps of the washer throwing an outlet nozzle due to the water pressure being too strong or the nozzle becoming loose from wear. I personally hand wash the car with the mindset of enjoying getting outside on a nice early morning and soaking it up. Most of us 1st world citizens are crammed into a “cubicle” of sorts and getting some “Mother Nature” is a healthy thing, IMHO.

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Water freezing cold? Mix some hot water into your bucket. Wear a layer or two of disposable gloves. Rinse your car with the cold water, and wash it with your warm soapy water. There's ways to wash your car, he just didn't want to go through the trouble. I've never had to deal with well water, but if you're using it for your household needs, it'll do fine for washing cars. And if you're really worried about water spots and you cant dry it off fast enough, but a few gallons of distilled water and do your final rinse with that.
He would have to do a rinseless or waterless style wash most likely depending on where he is. I'd say from October/November through at least April you can't use a hose, they are clogged up with ice.

You need to be pretty careful if it's too cold also, if you spray a car in low temps, it will just freeze to the surface. Trying to agitate that with a mitt could potentially break the ice free and scratch the car.

The best option is really waterless and doing it in a garage if you can or waiting for a day with enough sun to warm the surface of the car above freezing.

OP
OP
lenFeb

lenFeb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Len
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 #K0110
I had a Corvette rear-ended and had PPF on the rear quarters. Didn't want them to peel the PPF so they just painted the
Hey Frank, this is not my though. I saw this on FB. Decide to post here.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
That is making me cringe... like a cuticle ripped about 2mm too far

Sponsored

FDHog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2020 Ford Raptor
Len, I figured it wasn't yours, but thought maybe the owner was here.

Big Ernie McCracken

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Charger Scat Pack, 2013 Silverado
We don’t typically ever blend other panels when painting a bumper unless it is a horrible color. Most every other panel will get blended when repaired. Unless it is straight black then you can typically panel paint those, but black still will have some brown mixed in and that can cause a problem.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase

raydog1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT A10
Glad I learned that lesson many years ago on an 8-year-old Mazda Protege. Some of us have to learn the hard way.

I have the product & equipment to wash in 30-degree weather if need be. And yes, I have.
Sponsored