Sponsored

Car swaying side to side at high speeds

RR5.0PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Has anyone else experienced this? The other day I was on the highway and i decided to do a hard pull. I noticed that the rear end of the car started to feel like it was moving side to side...almost like it was floating. I think it only does it when it's over 90mph/100mph. I drive around 80mph most of the time without any problem. The car is lowered on springs. Stock 19inch performance package wheels. Tires are pretty much brand new. Wheels were balanced and aligned after being lowered.

2015 GT PP
Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If all you did to the suspension was install lowering springs.......that might be your problem.

The factory struts and shocks die quickly when pared with lowering springs, or so I've heard many times.

How many miles on your car? How many since it was lowered?

Deleted member 35786

Its only a few things that cause it. Suspension items, Alignment, wheel bearings if they are really bad and of course tires. Sounds like since its lowered that is causing it to feel that way due to the suspension setup and aerodynamics (being the air flow in, around and under the car).

OP
OP

RR5.0PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Yes sir, only thing I installed were springs. Everything else on the suspension is stock. So maybe I need some better struts/shocks? And the car has 30k miles and for the springs around 10k

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, probably time for new struts/shocks. Check all the other bushings and bolts on the rear subframe as well.

Sponsored

Bluelightning

Bluelightning
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lightning Blue 2017 GT350, 2019 F-150 4x4 Ecoboost (Daily)
Vehicle Showcase
The rear of these cars sucks unless you can drop in about a grand worth of Steeda parts like Diff bushings, IRS supports, IRS braces; stop the hop.
This as well. A nice Steeda stop the hop pack will help out a lot as well.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
90-100mph! :shock: You bad boy! But seriously, when you substantially change one part of the suspension you end up changing it all unless you just lowered it for looks. Found out about that over 3 decades ago and don’t intend to repeat the experience.

OP
OP

RR5.0PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
Oh yeah I hate the wheel hop on these coyotes lol. I'll check under the car this weekend and see if anything looks out of place.

I use to have some after market 20 inch wheels. I had them on for maybe 5k miles. Took them off because I could feel every bump on the road. I ended up getting abs, slip, airbag , traction lights on my dash. Even the steering wheel felt very heavy like if the power steering wasnt working.

Anyways took off the 20 inch, cleaned the wheel hub sensors, put the stock 19 inch and never had those lights come on again. Not sure if my wheel hubs could have gone bad, but I don't hear any noises while driving.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
What tires and air pressure? How many miles on the car (wheel hubs)? What alignment settings after your spring install? Toe can get wonky if you lower the car.

The only time I had scary side to side wandering I had a bad wheel hub.

Sponsored

Deleted member 35786

Oh yeah I hate the wheel hop on these coyotes lol. .
Never had any wheel hop on my 17' GT with an Auto. If I punch it from a dead stop with the TC turned off it just smokes the tires nice and smooth.. lol
With the TC on it just goes forward with a tiny bit of spin here and there..

Alex18737

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT 2015
Have similar problem, it was bacause the rear tires. Replace them & everything became great

OP
OP

RR5.0PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
What tires and air pressure? How many miles on the car (wheel hubs)? What alignment settings after your spring install? Toe can get wonky if you lower the car.

The only time I had scary side to side wandering I had a bad wheel hub.

Just regular nitto street tires, tire pressure was like 35 psi. The wheel hubs are still the factory oem wheel hubs, so 30k miles. Dont remember exactly what my alignment setting is. How would I know if my wheel hub is bad? Driving normal speed the car drives perfectly fine. Seems to only do it under quick acceleration and over 90mph.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
How low are we talking on these lowering springs? That could have thrown off the geometry big time regardless of an alignment.

OP
OP

RR5.0PP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 5.0
How low are we talking on these lowering springs? That could have thrown off the geometry big time regardless of an alignment.

Eibach sportline -- so like a 1.5" drop on front and 1.3" on the back
Sponsored