Sponsored

Car sitting too long due to COVID? Solutions for your dead battery!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS
Hey everyone, just finally getting to drive your car after it's been sitting for awhile only to discover your battery is dead? We wanted to provide a few options that might be helpful to avoid the dead battery scenario. Vehicle set up and parasitic draw can certainly shorten the duration of how long batteries can go before getting too low in addition to the age and quality of the battery itself. Some may have very limited draw and be lucky enough to let their cars sit longer than others but more so it seems more all too common to have many come back to a dead battery. So we have a few things that can help if this happens to you or even possibly eliminate the problem.

The Microstart Portable Jump-Starters will easily jump the car if you've got a dead battery, totally portable and light weight and easy to use and get you out of a jam if your battery is dead
https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/
The Battery Tracker is cool little tool you attach right to the battery and pair up via Bluethooth to your phone, it can send you real time voltage anytime you come within 30 ft of the device along with notifications to let you know if it's getting low so you know to put it on a charger
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lithium/
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lead-acid/
Lastly, our Automotive line of batteries all have a built in battery management system that protects your battery from getting over discharged (not too mention a ton of other benefits) so you can't drain it down too far to the point of damaging it but in addition our full group sizes have built in wireless jump starting so you are always left with enough energy to start the car and are never left stranded with a dead battery
https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/starter-batteries/automotive/
Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or anything we can help you out with!
mustang post.jpg
Sponsored

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
If this battery ever needed a recharge, what type of charger would you recommend?

OP
OP
Antigravity Batteries

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ok,.you sold me. Sick and tired of having one battery in the car and one charging.
I've swapped batteries 3 times in a year, only occasional weekend use of the car is killing it.

My fingers are crossed for your technology.

xs power and ac delco up for fire sale soon.

For me $800 is confidence if it holds.

and fyi, the xspowerD4700 is 42#.

now I don't have to lose my corona 20# , ha ha.

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Serious customer service.

Battery charger and sensor shipped within 1 hour of ordering.

Will post details as the beasties arrive.

Sponsored

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2015 GT, 2022 Shelby GT500
Hey everyone, just finally getting to drive your car after it's been sitting for awhile only to discover your battery is dead? We wanted to provide a few options that might be helpful to avoid the dead battery scenario. Vehicle set up and parasitic draw can certainly shorten the duration of how long batteries can go before getting too low in addition to the age and quality of the battery itself. Some may have very limited draw and be lucky enough to let their cars sit longer than others but more so it seems more all too common to have many come back to a dead battery. So we have a few things that can help if this happens to you or even possibly eliminate the problem.

The Microstart Portable Jump-Starters will easily jump the car if you've got a dead battery, totally portable and light weight and easy to use and get you out of a jam if your battery is dead
https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/micro-starts/
The Battery Tracker is cool little tool you attach right to the battery and pair up via Bluethooth to your phone, it can send you real time voltage anytime you come within 30 ft of the device along with notifications to let you know if it's getting low so you know to put it on a charger
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lithium/
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/chargers/bluetooth-tracker-lead-acid/
Lastly, our Automotive line of batteries all have a built in battery management system that protects your battery from getting over discharged (not too mention a ton of other benefits) so you can't drain it down too far to the point of damaging it but in addition our full group sizes have built in wireless jump starting so you are always left with enough energy to start the car and are never left stranded with a dead battery
https://antigravitybatteries.com/productline/starter-batteries/automotive/
Feel free to let us know if you have any questions or anything we can help you out with!
mustang post.jpg
Hi Scott, if I only use an Antigravity 12-24 for race days, and pull out the battery soon as I get home from a day of time attack (about 12 events a year), swap in a regular AGM battery 96R, will the Antigravity battery last much longer than using it as a daily? What would be the estimated life span? I can charge it with a lithium charger whenever the battery is pulled out.

OP
OP
Antigravity Batteries

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS
Hi Scott, if I only use an Antigravity 12-24 for race days, and pull out the battery soon as I get home from a day of time attack (about 12 events a year), swap in a regular AGM battery 96R, will the Antigravity battery last much longer than using it as a daily? What would be the estimated life span? I can charge it with a lithium charger whenever the battery is pulled out.
Let me explain a few things.

Running the battery alot like a YTX-12-24 won't hurt it really, the issue that really damages it the most is that this particular battery does NOT have the protections of our later Generation Batteries like the ATX20HD and ATX30HD that most the newer Users of our products now using. The YTX12-24 has the same battery and lifespan in general... BUT the determining factor is that is if it get over-discharged accidentally.... like by leaving the lights on, or not being driven alot and then let to over discharge then it will be damaged by that over-discharge..... and after that damage will not be able to hold a charge well or have near the power it did have. This is because every battery chemistry is damaged when the battery is deeply over-discharged and a smaller battery like the YTX12-24 would suffer from that..... while our newer version model have a full protection against that over-discharge, they just put themselves to sleep. So if you don't allow that over-discharge then the YTX12-24 will last more than several years without issue.... but without the protections the ODDs are at some point there may be a mistake and a over-discharge will occur, or perhaps a mechanic will put it on a lead acid charger at some point and also damage it.

Now with that stuff above being said, your use as described can work great, and give an actually very long if not longer life because you are removing the chance of an accidental over-discharge by taking it out of your car, and without a load on the battery it can hold a charge about a year.... though we suggest a top off every 4 months if you have it in storage. Not to just recharge it but to move the molecules around and exercise the battery a little if in storage. But in the use you discuss you should get an extremely long life if you do not over-charge or over discharge the battery.

Let us know if that answers your questions.

Regards,

scott-

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Let me explain a few things.

Running the battery alot like a YTX-12-24 won't hurt it really, the issue that really damages it the most is that this particular battery does NOT have the protections of our later Generation Batteries like the ATX20HD and ATX30HD that most the newer Users of our products now using. The YTX12-24 has the same battery and lifespan in general... BUT the determining factor is that is if it get over-discharged accidentally.... like by leaving the lights on, or not being driven alot and then let to over discharge then it will be damaged by that over-discharge..... and after that damage will not be able to hold a charge well or have near the power it did have. This is because every battery chemistry is damaged when the battery is deeply over-discharged and a smaller battery like the YTX12-24 would suffer from that..... while our newer version model have a full protection against that over-discharge, they just put themselves to sleep. So if you don't allow that over-discharge then the YTX12-24 will last more than several years without issue.... but without the protections the ODDs are at some point there may be a mistake and a over-discharge will occur, or perhaps a mechanic will put it on a lead acid charger at some point and also damage it.

Now with that stuff above being said, your use as described can work great, and give an actually very long if not longer life because you are removing the chance of an accidental over-discharge by taking it out of your car, and without a load on the battery it can hold a charge about a year.... though we suggest a top off every 4 months if you have it in storage. Not to just recharge it but to move the molecules around and exercise the battery a little if in storage. But in the use you discuss you should get an extremely long life if you do not over-charge or over discharge the battery.

Let us know if that answers your questions.

Regards,

scott-
Great! Thanks for the explanation, Scott. I'm getting the atx20HD then. How is this mounted properly on an s550? Such that it's still easy to swap between a normal size 96R and this atx20hd. And is Noco Genius 5 (universal voltage input) a good charger for this? I need a 220v input as I'm based in Asia.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
swap in a regular AGM battery 96R
Hey, where did you find an AGM 96R battery? I couldn't find any, and that's exactly what I'd like to replace the stocker with. My car only has 300 miles on the clock, but it sat at dealer for 8 months, and battery is toast. Don't want another wet-cell, but can't find an AGM. Thank you in advance for your help.

As far as Li-Ion batteries, they're a nightmare on my buddy's motorcycle. In winter, you're supposed to leave lights on for a minute or two to 'activate' the battery, but that just further discharges the battery, and bike doesn't start. Others reported having to try like 10 times until battery was finally warm enough to finally barely crank the engine. Reviews even for the most expensive Li-Ion motorcycle batteries (Shorai, etc), are awful in winter. Summer cranking no issues. It gets quite cold and hot here in TX. Is that the same thing with Antigravity batteries? A much more expensive battery that is unreliable in winter is an absolute deal-breaker for me. Just curious if those are better in that respect :D.

CTH621

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Hey, where did you find an AGM 96R battery? I couldn't find any, and that's exactly what I'd like to replace the stocker with. My car only has 300 miles on the clock, but it sat at dealer for 8 months, and battery is toast. Don't want another wet-cell, but can't find an AGM. Thank you in advance for your help.

As far as Li-Ion batteries, they're a nightmare on my buddy's motorcycle. In winter, you're supposed to leave lights on for a minute or two to 'activate' the battery, but that just further discharges the battery, and bike doesn't start. Others reported having to try like 10 times until battery was finally warm enough to finally barely crank the engine. Reviews even for the most expensive Li-Ion motorcycle batteries (Shorai, etc), are awful in winter. Summer cranking no issues. It gets quite cold and hot here in TX. Is that the same thing with Antigravity batteries? A much more expensive battery that is unreliable in winter is an absolute deal-breaker for me. Just curious if those are better in that respect :D.
I live in Philippines so it's always 80f to 100f all year round! No winter here! Varta din55 or din60 sizes have AGM batteries. I do time attack so I want some good weight reduction.

OP
OP
Antigravity Batteries

Antigravity Batteries

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche GT3 RS
Great! Thanks for the explanation, Scott. I'm getting the atx20HD then. How is this mounted properly on an s550? Such that it's still easy to swap between a normal size 96R and this atx20hd. And is Noco Genius 5 (universal voltage input) a good charger for this? I need a 220v input as I'm based in Asia.
With mounting you' may have to look at getting a little creative as it won't be just a drop in fit We have a bracket for the battery but you may want to look at fabricating a base to secure it to the stock location for easy install or you may need to put some additional holes in the bottom of the battery box but you should have some options. The Noco charger can work but in all honestly we tend to shy away from anything designed for multi-chemical use, if the wrong profile is selected for what ever reason it may not properly charge the battery or maintain it. CTEK makes a nice dedicated lithium charger but you may just want to make sure you get the right version for the 220v...I believe the UK version is fitted for that as well.
https://antigravitybatteries.com/products/accessories/battery/installation/atx20-tray-lc-fab/
https://www.ctek.com/
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.