Sponsored

Car shutdown completely after a run and would not crank unless jumped?

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Alfa Romeo Quadraflio, 2018 TT GT Prem, 22 GT
So I rented out a track on Saturday to work on my suspension setup and to get the car dialed in and consistent.

The mods list is very extensive but I will name the big ones:

2018 GT Premium stock Gen 3 engine

Twin turbo Hellion sleeper kit, 62 mm ball bearing
1050x injectors on return fuel system with dual fuel pumps.
Tuned by Lund
Viking Crusader adjustable shocks all the way around
BMR Drag springs & chassis lockout
trans brake and 2 step
1500 hp rated axles
Single piece drive shaft
Transmission built out by Power by the Hour.
E-boost 2 controller
N-Gauge

The weather was perfect on Saturday and I was just trying to get a baseline run with my rear suspension set to 12/12 as a starting point. Only running on waste gate. So no massive amounts of boost.

Launched at around 2900 RPMs and had a decent run with minimal wheel hop that I let out of quickly followed by getting back into it to finish out the run. Trapped at 110 MPH on wastegate (1/8 mile).

As soon as I let out of it the car back fired and sounded like the war in Ukraine. If it was supposed to sound like that it was bad ass sounding and honestly sounded like a Lambo or something. But it had never done that before.

Then I pulled into pit lane and it just cut off. No check engine lights. No wrench, nothing. Hit the start button to see what it would do and it just acted like it had a dead battery while reading 11v. Brought another car and some cables up and hooked it up and it did crank but I shut it off as there was a distinct ticking noise now coming from the front of the engine. Did not want to damage it so I did not turn it back on.

Pulled the dipstick and no metal shavings in the oil. Oil looks and smells fine. When the car was cranked up for the 5 seconds or so it had no smoke coming from the exhaust etc.

Kind of dumb founded on where to start. With no codes and stuff I guess I will just have to pull it apart and see what is going on under the hood.

Btw does anyone know how to check the oil pressure on a 2018 with the digital cluster installed and a N-Gauge? I cannot find a gauge for it any where.

Thanks.
Sponsored

rabid_josh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT
dont know, but hope its an easy one. doesnt sound good

BombZombie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay Adam
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby Super Snake
A few years back, I had a 2015 WRX that on a cold January morning backfired like a machine-gun on decel, and the exhaust turned into a flamethrower. It also died as soon as I pulled it over on the shoulder. Towed it back home, and it started up again in a few hours. Smoke would then start pouring out the exhaust after a few seconds.

Later found out...my turbo blew, my catalytic converters no longer existed, and I had oil throughout my intercooler.

I hope none of that is the same as your situation.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
A few years back, I had a 2015 WRX that on a cold January morning backfired like a machine-gun on decel, and the exhaust turned into a flamethrower. It also died as soon as I pulled it over on the shoulder. Towed it back home, and it started up again in a few hours. Smoke would then start pouring out the exhaust after a few seconds.

Later found out...my turbo blew, my catalytic converters no longer existed, and I had oil throughout my intercooler.

I hope none of that is the same as your situation.
No flames and I am running 3 inch exhaust no cats/muffler. Turbos are fine and no oil in the intercooler. So luckily it does not sound like that lol

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
11v ? Maybe the alternator got smoked. That would also account for that supercar sound haha.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
11v ? Maybe the alternator got smoked. That would also account for that supercar sound haha.
It would also explain why it died haha. If I get that lucky I will be lucky as hell.

wazslow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS
Any further updates? Did the car actually run when you jump started it? You may want to post in the forced induction section as well. A lot more people will likely see it.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)

Vert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whipped 19 GT Premium
Did you check the volts at the battery once you got it started to rule out the alt?

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
Not yet. Did not get home until late.

OP
OP

Kennysum1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
So got a little more info. Started it up and took 2 separate 1 min data logs. Going ti send them to Lund and hopefully get some information back on that.

Mechanical tear down of the top side of the engine will start this week.
Sponsored