Car just got smashed at the shop, need help please

OP
OP

5Maxxforce0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
If I choose to sell, I would legally be required to tell them of the accident right?
Sponsored

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
If I choose to sell, I would legally be required to tell them of the accident right?
If it goes through an insurance claim, it'll be on the CarFax whether you want it there or not. That's where diminished value comes into play - now it's got an accident associated with it.

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
In the world of used cars I don’t think you have to tell them anything. When’s the last time you heard of a used car salesman getting in trouble for lying about a car he was trying to sell. Just saying as long as it’s declared in your bill of sale “as-is”, there are no rules just like for car salesmen.
My last truck was in an accident that ended up costing $14000 to fix. The other guys insurance paid for it as he was guilty of running a stop sign. When I sold the truck a couple of years later I was surprised it never made it to carfax, so sometimes you get lucky.

Last edited:

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
If it goes through an insurance claim, it'll be on the CarFax whether you want it there or not. That's where diminished value comes into play - now it's got an accident associated with it.
Actually a lot insurance claims do not show up on carfax. Unless there is a police report or the owner or body shop report it, it generally will not show up on carfax. Now an insurance history report is a much more comprehensive look of a vehicles history as it shows all reported losses from all providers

goldengooner

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Larry
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2016 California Special Convertible
You need to make a claim through your insurer. They will make sure it's gets dome right. Otherwise you are at the mercy of the body shop. Anyway I do not see it as the body shops problem, the tow truck is the one that hit you......
Cause its the bodyshops fault, the car was under their protection, on their premises

Sponsored

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Apparently in Ontario it's not that easy/common?
I might have to take them to small claims.

So the towing company wants to get it repaired at one of their shops for 1300 lol
With the claim they're probably going to go after the shops insurance because it was parked in a fire lane.
This might take some litigation to get done right.
Summer days are'a wastin'
Why are you still talking to these people? Have you spoken to your insurance regarding this yet? I hope you have. Maybe its just me but there is something that seems a bit off with all of this somehow when I read all of the back and forth stuff that's gone on. But maybe its just my perception of the info I've read so far..........but it just seems kind of cryptic...:bandit:

Not sure on the private sale side but when I traded my Camaro SS in for the GT they wanted me to sign it wasn't over $3000 which it was and I didn't realize it. They ran a Carproof on the car actually........Oops my bad. But it was barely over the 3k so it wasn't an issue in the end. You will have an expensive repair assuming you make them do it correctly.....

Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Assuming you have collision coverage with a waiver of deductible if you can identify the other party, it's litigation-free on your end. You go to your insurance company, you get it fixed somewhere else, and they do all the legwork.

Frankly, unless you have a longstanding relationship with one of these guys that you're trying to preserve, I'm not sure why you're still talking about it. File and be done.

Qcman17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cam
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10 Velocity Blue 301A
Frankly, unless you have a longstanding relationship with one of these guys that you're trying to preserve, I'm not sure why you're still talking about it. File and be done.
Bingo! That's basically what I was sayin'

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
Looks like your wheel got cosmetic damage so I'd make sure that gets replaced and take a close look at that tire as well. It might have some sidewall issues. Hope you get what you want one way or another.

davidmpetri

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 mustang gt
IMG_20190530_095319.jpg
My cars in a body shop and a driver for a big towing company just smashed my rear quarter panel and ripped off my bumper (he wasn't there to tow me).

Driver admits fault and agrees to repair the damage. He's looking at around $2200 cad.
It looks worse in person.
THEY WANT TO BONDO IT.
Should i...

Bring my car back home and make a police report?

Let the driver pay to have it repaired aka with shit tons of Bondo?... The shop I'm at now has way under qualified immigrant students getting paid cash. It's a joke to them, swear one thought it was funny... know what I have to do as I'm writing this.i think.

The car was at the shop for a new front bumper and I was getting the hood painted too.

I'm thinking my shop should paint the whole car for free? He was gonna charge me 2k for a complete paint job.

My shop is scared their insurance will be at fault so he's agreeing to fix it (he just got more business from his negligence)
I'm still trying to contact the driver to figure out exactly what happened and where the car was position by my shop.

How bad is the damage guys ?
IMG_20190530_095323_1559245145968.jpg
Going through same BS. They halfassed the fix leaveing my to pay 1,350 finish fix

Sponsored

bullitt2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Guard Green
Apparently in Ontario it's not that easy/common?
I might have to take them to small claims.

So the towing company wants to get it repaired at one of their shops for 1300 lol
With the claim they're probably going to go after the shops insurance because it was parked in a fire lane.
Summer days are'a wastin'
Diminished value claims are not as common in Canada. Only for larger amounts (that I am aware of). I would get a quote from a reputable body shop (unaffiliated with the shop your car was parked at) and then go from there. If it's a large amount of damage and they think your car has taken a significant hit on the value, then pursuing a diminished value claim might be worth it. If it's $3000 or under, I would personally just go through insurance, get it fixed, and have the car to enjoy during the summer. That's just me though!

OP
OP

5Maxxforce0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
All is swell over here, thanks for the replies everyone. Not going to sue it's all being handled like everyone said.

I'm losing sleep now cause the plates for my rig didn't come in yet and these are prime days to cruise. I'm itching to just drive anything at this point... Definitely going to miss my 18speed and going down the Coquihalla (Rockies)in an automatic might take some practice. There's nothing like floating the gears on a 15 litre Cummins.

But at least I can watch game 4 tonight

GoRaptorsGo

Wish I had my car the weather is popppppin in Toronto!

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
All is swell over here, thanks for the replies everyone. Not going to sue it's all being handled like everyone said.

I'm losing sleep now cause the plates for my rig didn't come in yet and these are prime days to cruise. I'm itching to just drive anything at this point... Definitely going to miss my 18speed and going down the Coquihalla (Rockies)in an automatic might take some practice. There's nothing like floating the gears on a 15 litre Cummins.

But at least I can watch game 4 tonight

GoRaptorsGo

Wish I had my car the weather is popppppin in Toronto!

Backing up in a Volvo auto is the best! Gear lever and side buttons are small but you get used to it.

GO RAPTORS GO!

OP
OP

5Maxxforce0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang gt
Backing up in a Volvo auto is the best! Gear lever and side buttons are small but you get used to it

GO RAPTORS GO!
They got rid of the gear lever beside the driver.
Dealer told me ppl we're using them to stand up and breaking them lol.
Now it's just buttons around the stereo.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
They got rid of the gear lever beside the driver.
Dealer told me ppl we're using them to stand up and breaking them lol.
Now it's just buttons around the stereo.

We still have them. Like in a passenger car! :cwl:
Sponsored