Car is officially getting a Stage 2 Edelbrock 2650

mikengail

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium Convertible A10
I jumped on the Whipple website to check their numbers. They made virtually identical numbers to what you quoted for your vehicle when stock. Within a couple of Hp.
Can’t comment on the accuracy of the correction factor at higher elevations though sorry.
9psi seems to indicate some pretty thin air though.
Agree about the thin air effect on boost. A bigger factor than that, I think, is the better scavenging of my exhaust configuration. The combination of both is indeed significant. Interesting stuff...
Sponsored

OP
OP

crewdawg16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kona Blue Focus ST3, 2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT PP1
Will you be doing the work yourself? I'm interested about what needs to be done since the 18 and up have a composite oil pan and from the things I've read, the oil pan needs to be dropped for the OPG installation. How far it needs to drop, I don't know an no one has given me an answer to this question. Good luck.
I'm having a local shop do the work with remote dyno tuning by PBD. I've seen the OPGs installed without dropping the pan but you still need to get the bolts off the pickup tube to remove the pump from the front.

I've done a full exhaust install with longtubes on a mustang before, and I'm getting too old for that shit, especially on my back in a garage.

Last edited:
OP
OP

crewdawg16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Below are my results with the Stg 2 on 91 octane (no octane booster) with my A10. Car is completely stock otherwise. This is on the EB tune and it’s garbage. Going custom tune soon. Makes great power, but power delivery is terrible.
CED8391C-7E67-4BAE-90AF-C904FC04458F.jpeg
Thanks for the graph! Yeah I already own the nGauge so a custom tune is a forgone conclusion since I'm not worried about warranties and such.

OP
OP

crewdawg16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Congrats! Kind of curious, why the change of heart from the Whipple?
It has a lot more to do with the good "press" I've seen of the Edelbrock than the Whipple being a bad choice.

I was set on Whipple for a long time but I also like the idea of doing something a bit different than most and it's hard to argue with the Eaton 2650 rotor pack, just seeing great results across the board with these blowers.

Sponsored

OP
OP

crewdawg16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Quick suggestion, I'd highly reccomend going with bigger injectors right off the bat incase you want more power down the road. The injectors that come with the stage 2 kit are really not enough and they're a bitch to get to on this kit.

I'm about to get my fuel system done on my stage 2 2650 so I can run e85.

As for tires I've had success with the Firestone firehawk indy 500s. They dont get traction below 50 when it's cold but they hook ok when it's warm.

I'll be transitioning to some r888rs come summer time.
Thanks for the suggestion on the injectors, what fuel system are you going for to run E85? Fore return style or one of the drop-in setups? I have the indy 500s on my focus now and love them, live in the Phoenix area so low temps are not an issue at all :).

Stymee

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joel
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Thanks for the suggestion on the injectors, what fuel system are you going for to run E85? Fore return style or one of the drop-in setups? I have the indy 500s on my focus now and love them, live in the Phoenix area so low temps are not an issue at all :).

Return-less system is the only way to do E85 however the new GT500 pumps and hat with 1050x injectors look promising

I would speak to lethal as they’re working on this new option from what they’ve said in a post or 2

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
I'm having a local shop do the work with remote dyno tuning by PBD. I've seen the OPGs installed without dropping the pan but you still need to get the bolts off the pickup tube to remove the pump from the front.

I've done a full exhaust install with longtubes on a mustang before, and I'm getting too old for that shit, especially on my back in a garage.
The 2017 and prior have the bolts for the oil pump. 2018 on up have the composite (plastic) oil pan and the pickup tube slip fits into the pump inlet. I'm assuming that the configuration is such that the pan needs to be dropped to allow the pickup tube to slip out of the pump. I'm going to prepare for the worst case scenario of lowering the K member to do it.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
congrats

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I've had stage 1 thru stage 2 and each on 91 and 93 tunes, then catless headers and custom tune.....
I got to say their 93 tune stage 2 is actually pretty dang good for driving around and WOT, it learns a little positive LTFT with the headers and exhaust.......
Dakota at Lund has been very easy to work with I've personally since I lost 2 engines back to back settled in a Stage 2 -.5 setup.
I'm stage 2 with a 3.75 pulley to drop boost ( I'd buy a 10 over lower but they dont make it ), with custom tune using headers and a 170 stat.......I dont care what the car make but on the "sauce tune" its nuts with 305 nittos....till 3rd gear with 3.15s useless....roll 40 in 2nd manually got WOT and instant blown the tires off even with viking doubles ect....
Currently I'm on a 2nd gear leave tune which is SO much smoother to drive around and we are shifting real low when I do go WOT for another 1000 or so miles.....like 7100 because st 7500 it's just to much power even with the 3.75 pulley......
I did experience the issues most complain about with the EB tune BUT the stage 2 93 tune IS pretty damn good to drive around car is nimble at part throttle....starts well cant stall it hard on brakes...and good WOT I mean did yall see his 91 graph? I have been trying to tell people your getting 600ftlbs before 2500rpm I cant imagine this car wont launch near full torque on stock converter.....
Custom tune gets you lots of extras, can desensitize pedal, it was obvious he could provide me a sauce tune where it's just a 1/3 throttle smoke show everywhere on down to a 2nd gear leave smooth as butter one....it had flexibility BUT its 3mpg or more less on hwy trip of 2.5hrs....I like that the custom tune will add timing at WOT if the knock sensor say it's ok and I've tested this with boostane it definitely adds more with it.

I have the ngauge setup so the lights are a knock split, green and to the left its adding timing,orange/ red and to the right its KR in my line of sight so I don't have to hold a laptop and try to stay out of the ditches both.....
Once you get past putting the boost back to stage 1 levels I paid over 5k to have added, this load out with either the 93 EB tune using the 3.75 pulley and catless headers/OPG/S, gives you the instant in torque benefit of the 103mm tb and 113mm MAF housing, its still to much by far for p305 200 treadware tires and I can't imagine a daily needing more. I think it's a perfect compromise...all the better breathing of stage 2, the torque and completely lack of belt slip that comes with it and keeping the boost low enough to use properly with some timing....I'm not tuned for boostane I'm tuned as soft as he would I use it for a little added protection ...to keep and eye on KR....I lost 2 engines in back to back of 5 partial WOTs so far so good on this one and I cant imagine on my drag pack it's still got to be a mid to low 10 car if you hook it that you can't even hear the blower on.....

As others have said ( and for me personally it was hard to accept I bought the $4800 stage 2 upgrade and had to have it installed by ASE tech putting me well into 5ks then blowing 2 engine back to back making my car worthless literally with less than 4k miles at the time most spent breaking engines in, to drop back to stage 1 boost but its absolutely the best compromise ) this is all you ever need as a TRUE daily you track now and then...it drives like a much bigger engine is in there where it was anemic with the 3.15s and 28 inch tire before....and will get viscous when let loose on the street....any more than this than you arent asking for a fair power train warranty you want them to supplement your race program........

Imho dont get hung up on warranty I'm 3 engines into a car I've had available to me 3 months of the 12 I've paid for it which is worth nothing because of the insano carfax ( I tried to trade it in on a 401a during the 0/72 promotion and it was all a go till the car fax and OASIS info), just get what you know the car needs up front....it doesnt need that much boost it feels and like less boost with a bit more timing but it needs to breath and OPG/S already paid for themselves. The stage 2 blower trim is more than capable and even when maxing the MAF and then some there is still plenty of port duty left with a maximum of 40% used at 7500rpm ( turned down since then ), no doubt with MS109 or full boostane it could be tuned for 800 wheel on this fuel system its probably over 700s now...
I'm sitting here with a car worth nothing having been thru a year of hell and instead of dwelling on a warranty that if used you lose more in diminished value than the long block cost to replace so just set it up for success the first time. I mean in the end I had to drop back boost to live anyway...its not a knock on the blower at all its absolutely viscous the engines wont take it.....I'd go back and set it up like this and if it needed an engine then I'd do a built short block off the books, their warranty is badass and if YOU are diligent with your end of the bargain they will be with their but at the end of the day the car loses more value than it would cost to order a livernois forged short block so just get the damn good blower and do the things you know will help keep it alive and worry about warranty later...IF ever needed....I think they should sell it just as it is now Stage 2 3.75 pulley to lower boost adding about 2 degrees more than their stock tune which is better than most...
Or I'd stay stage 1 with a griptec pulley, headers and a custom tune........
I guess the wounds are still to fresh....love the blower and they did me right in the end, thenstage 2 93 tune specifically is pretty damn good but for ME to get the car to live I just had to make the concession of giving up stage 2 boost however keeping the efficiency ( which translates to torque and mid range power ) and belt grip of the stage 2 system and as long as this doesnt blow I'm perfectly happy......12.5k and a worthless car later....

BlueCollarDaily

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT 400a
I’d love to see the numbers on a custom tune, 93, LT’s and a free flowing exhaust...
620tq on 91 is pretty serious.
Lund made 728whp like that and on a 3.75 pulley vs the stock stage 2 3.50 haha
Sponsored