Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
I use blackstone
How much did those results cost? I want to do mine for my car which is at 13k miles. Yours says break in oil, have you sent more recent samples with newer oil?
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
How much did those results cost? I want to do mine for my car which is at 13k miles. Yours says break in oil, have you sent more recent samples with newer oil?
I did one after my last track weekend and I'm about to send another sample in in the next couple of days.

I bought the quantity pack. I think they are like 6 for $120? IIRC

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
What do you guys do with the BS Labs info? Do you dump the car on someone without telling them the info? Is there anything you can do other than sell? Why not save money by waiting until you are nearing the end of warranty before sending in an oil sample? Or if you aren't going to keep the car beyond warranty coverage why even care about it?

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
What do you guys do with the BS Labs info? Do you dump the car on someone without telling them the info? Is there anything you can do other than sell? Why not save money by waiting until you are nearing the end of warranty before sending in an oil sample? Or if you aren't going to keep the car beyond warranty coverage why even care about it?
for me, I do it for peace of mind. It just paints a picture of how the internal parts are wearing. Also the Motorcraft 5w50 especially is an oil that it the topic of many a debate as it pertains to additives, shearing, viscosity, etc. that is not the focus of this thread however.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Or like why get bloodwork once a year? It's a status of what your car is doing at each oil change interval. It's cheap

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000
Or like why get bloodwork once a year? It's a status of what your car is doing at each oil change interval. It's cheap
On my daily driver, I did an analysis at 200k miles to see how the internals were. Good news was internals were just fine, bad news was there was a small coolant leak, coolant in the oil. Small enough that I didnt notice it by looking at a 15 year old overflow bottle. Coolant was leaking into the crankcase. I would not have known this without the analysis. :cheers:

OP
OP
17RubyShelbyGT350

17RubyShelbyGT350

First Ford - First Shelby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350-Conven Pkg - 1st Perf Mods Done
I thought the long term tests were 40-50k miles?

Anyways, 5qts of oil in 3000 miles is a lot. I know the GT350 isnt a regular car and more often then not is driven by a car enthusiast, but I'm certain there are owners who never check the oil and are probably already over 5k miles since last oil change. That is pretty scary man.

Btw, Im waiting for my free black stone-labs oil kit to for my car. If you're interested in how the engine is doing with the oil you can get a free kit and fill out a form on what results you want to get.
The C&D long term tests are indeed 40k miles. They report in periodically, as I referenced their latest update in the April issue. This is the first time they mentioned the car's oil consumption. And yes, I agree that 5 quarts in 3000 miles is a lot. What we do not know of course, is how they are really driving this over the last 3000 miles, or what they did to it earlier..

Did my Blackstone test at 1100 miles and got an excellent report from them. Probably will drop the oil at 4000 miles and send them another sample.

I have never had another toy that had an engine which seems to stir up so much controversy re its durability. There seems to be little recognizable pattern data either with usage or mileage to help explain the seeming randomness of failures.

My C6 Z06 had some controversy over occasional reports of dropped valves - but nothing on the level of this car. Just my opinion.

Hell, my first car was an old '61 Austin Healy 3000 that had just about everything go wrong with it except its engine..:headbonk:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Last time I checked I don't have a warranty on my body where someone will replace it for free if it fails on me.

IMO your metaphor doesn't hold up.

MrBillton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302 LS, 2018 Charger Scat Pack
Last time I checked I don't have a warranty on my body where someone will replace it for free if it fails on me.

It sounds like you are wondering why someone would care about their engine internals when it's under a warranty anyways.

Does someone really need to articulate to you the reasons why one would not want to have additional wear on their motor (or replace it) even if it's under warranty?

Sponsored

btown93

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Knight Industries 2000

I'm really not understanding why it needs to turn into an argument.

oil analysis is nothing new. :shrug:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It sounds like you are wondering why someone would care about their engine internals when it's under a warranty anyways.

Does someone really need to articulate to you the reasons why one would not want to have additional wear on their motor (or replace it) even if it's under warranty?
I'm not sure how it relates to caring.

I thought "peace of mind" was a good explanation.

I still wonder what the people who get these analyses do if they don't like the results, though. Do you keep the car and feel annoyed? Do you change your driving habits? Sell the car? Do you tell the buyer?

tracktardicus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota 86
They identify the source of the premature wear, and hopefully replace the faulty or worn parts instead of having the engine grenade on them-that's what they do. I'd rather have some advanced warning from an oil analysis instead of at 150 mph down the front straight of my local race track.

I'm not sure how it relates to caring.

I thought "peace of mind" was a good explanation.

I still wonder what the people who get these analyses do if they don't like the results, though. Do you keep the car and feel annoyed? Do you change your driving habits? Sell the car? Do you tell the buyer?

HaleFire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Interesting that the first long-term review they wrote at ~12,000 mi did not report any additional make-up oil. Now they are reporting 5 qts in 3000 mi? That is a wild swing.

I specifically asked Blackstone what data they had on average make-up oil added to GT350s on my last sample. I was told 0-2 quarts is typical, though the average number of miles between changes was not provided. Just some data - take that for what it's worth, which is not much.

galaxy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
One of the bigger reason for a lab report from BS is how far you can go on oil change interval. Blanket 3 or 5,000 mike oil changes are just dumb and wasteful. And no, it is not cheap insurance. These guys will tell you exactly how much life is left in your oil and make change interval recommendations. I didn’t send the factory fill in, but I’ll probably do another oil change at 4,000 on the oil to establish a baseline and see what they say. People say they’ll never go 5, 10, or XX Mike’s on an oil change. But unless you’re getting the supporting facts from these guys, it’s all just banter. Heck, my last report from BS on my ‘02 F150 showed safely going 15,000 on the oil with cSt, TBN, and TAN well within limits.
Sponsored