Sponsored

Car been sitting for months in storage? Prime that oil system before firing it up!

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Don't work for Ford, so not sure how the line works. But I garente that motor gets a lube.
It also gets run (unloaded) on a dynomometer setup to allow the line workers to run it through all the gears, as well as being driven to the rail head and on / off all the transport vehicles along the way.
Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Wut ? Lol. Ford doesn't put every single car and/or engine on a dynamometer. Most are started up, loaded up, and the random taking it for a test drive at the dealership basically 'breaks it in'. When I picked up my car, it had less than 2 miles and no test drivers cause I ordered it. I was the random that 'broke it in' haha.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wut ? Lol. Ford doesn't put every single car and/or engine on a dynamometer. Most are started up, loaded up, and the random taking it for a test drive at the dealership basically 'breaks it in'. When I picked up my car, it had less than 2 miles and no test drivers cause I ordered it. I was the random that 'broke it in' haha.
Per both the National Geographic program on the Flat Rock facility and also the Ford factory workers on the Blue Oval forum, every Mustang is run through all the gears on an unloaded dynomometer at the end of the production line.

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66667-rolling-road-at-flat-rock-plant/

Please feel free to "Wut?" and "Lol" them to your heart's content.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Last edited:

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wut? Lol. Not ever car goes on a DYNO.
Did you even bother to read the link that's in your quote?

Quoting a Ford worker:
"The QC checks at the Flat Rock Plant really aren't any different than any other Ford plant. Power output is checked on a Dyno (there's 3 or 4 of them inside the plant) and the so called "rolling road" is to check the interior for squeaks and rattles and make sure the suspension is working properly."​
"They do a WOT test to make sure the power curve is what it's supposed to be, but yes the main purpose is to test for functionality of the powertrain and braking system. "​
"That's not a once and a while thing, that's every car as long as it's not snowing. There's contingency in place for inclement weather I'm just not sure of what that is."​
But, yeah, I'm sure some rando on the internet has a better understanding of the plant than the guy who works for Ford.

Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Did you even bother to read the link that's in your quote?

Quoting a Ford worker:
"The QC checks at the Flat Rock Plant really aren't any different than any other Ford plant. Power output is checked on a Dyno (there's 3 or 4 of them inside the plant) and the so called "rolling road" is to check the interior for squeaks and rattles and make sure the suspension is working properly."​
"They do a WOT test to make sure the power curve is what it's supposed to be, but yes the main purpose is to test for functionality of the powertrain and braking system. "​
"That's not a once and a while thing, that's every car as long as it's not snowing. There's contingency in place for inclement weather I'm just not sure of what that is."​
But, yeah, I'm sure some rando on the internet has a better understanding of the plant than the guy who works for Ford.
Have you ever heard of sample sizing? If you think every single automobile goes on a Dyno, you are clearly misunderstood....

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Per both the National Geographic program on the Flat Rock facility and also the Ford factory workers on the Blue Oval forum, every Mustang is run through all the gears on an unloaded dynomometer at the end of the production line.

https://blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?/topic/66667-rolling-road-at-flat-rock-plant/

Please feel free to "Wut?" and "Lol" them to your heart's content.
Even if I were to believe 3 or 4 people posting on a Ford chat room it still doesn't prove that each engine is "primed" with oil before its driven. In fact it sounds like each car is started and driven off the assembly line, which i do believe because I've seen it at a GM plant, stone cold and run through a dyno including a WOT burst. And all on a car with what, less than 3 miiles on it?
And folks are worried about babying their new car and priming the engine after it sits a little while? Doesn't much sound like Ford is that worried about it...

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Have you ever heard of sample sizing? If you think every single automobile goes on a Dyno, you are clearly misunderstood....
Fine. Feel free to explain to me what part of a Ford employee's statement "That's not a once and a while thing, that's every car as long as it's not snowing" that I have misunderstood.

Note that you do need to read the linked thread above to understand what you are referring to - an unloaded dyno, not a tiedown / full power run.

But, again, feel free to tell me what part of this thread
I am misunderstanding or misinterpreting.

HeelToeHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT PP, 05 focus st
Doesn't much sound like Ford is that worried about it...
Not that I'm saying it makes a huge difference, but the argument that "ford isn't worried" holds little water. Ford only has an interest in the reliability for the first 60,000mi; after that it could send a rod and it's not their problem. Other people (especially those signing up for financing for 90 months lol) may want to see more than that on the odometer.

Sponsored

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Just like you told me "some randoms' voicing there OPINION. That rolling road
Fine. Feel free to explain to me what part of a Ford employee's statement "That's not a once and a while thing, that's every car as long as it's not snowing" that I have misunderstood.

Note that you do need to read the linked thread above to understand what you are referring to - an unloaded dyno, not a tiedown / full power run.

I am misunderstanding or misinterpreting.
As you told me.. "There some randoms opinion".

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Not that I'm saying it makes a huge difference, but the argument that "ford isn't worried" holds little water. Ford only has an interest in the reliability for the first 60,000mi; after that it could send a rod and it's not their problem. Other people (especially those signing up for financing for 90 months lol) may want to see more than that on the odometer.
You're probably right, Ford probably doesn't care a whit after the warranty expires. Honestly though, I don't believe that people generally have much to worry about concerning engine longevity as long as the maintenance schedule is followed. My 2012 Edge is a third vehicle for us. It sits for months at a time. I do nothing except for whatever maintenance is recommended. It has 184,000 miles, runs perfectly and burns no oil. The vehicle before it was a Honda Ridgeline that lasted 256,000 miles before I sold it,, before that a Grand Cherokee that i sold with 287,000 miles and it's still running today. None of them ever had the oil primed before they were driven, my experience says it's not necessary

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
And some of uses laughed at me and saying I threw away less than 150 bucks for changing the trans fluid at 30k, diff fluid at 30k, spark plugs at 30k, and engine oil at 20% life, always.

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just like you told me "some randoms' voicing there OPINION. That rolling road

As you told me.. "There some randoms opinion".
As noted before, given the choice of listening to you babbling incoherently or the Ford employee in the other thread, I'll pick him. YMMV.

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
I have to disagree. Ford definitely cares if their vehicles last over 60,000 miles. With how competitive the vehicle market is as of this time, you simply don't get away with the convenient mechanical totals just outside of warranty. You lose customers for it. The only exception is luxury brands where people are leasing or trading out of it before the warranty ends because they can afford to. And even then, you really only tend to see that from German brands.

Wear items are one thing, but powertrain design is something OEM's put a lot of effort into as far as reliability these days. I have heard that cars are designed to last 150,000 miles or 15 years at this point as long as the scheduled maintenance list is followed.
Sponsored