Sponsored

Car battery nearly drained after sitting for nearly 30 minutes?

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I have a 2016 Ecoboost Premium. Now that fall is upon us and the weather is cooling down I like to sit in my car on my lunch break with the windows down. I roll the windows down, turn the car off, and turn the infotainment screen off to save power. It doesn't sit in power accessory mode, it's completely off. After my car sits with everything off for about 30 minutes I get a popup on the infotainment screen that says "Turning car off to save power" or something similar to that. Then when I try to start the car it's really sluggish and slow to start. It still starts up but it doesn't seem normal to me that the battery would drain that quick. It is the premium trim so it has the bigger infotainment screen. Is this normal for these cars or is this a sign that my battery needs to be replaced soon?
Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I'd suspect a weak, failing battery. How old is it?

OP
OP

TaysonGS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
No idea. I bought the car in February and there are no records if it was replaced.

1 old racer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 Royal Crimson GT PP1 prem., and others
Vehicle Showcase
Trust me, it's the battery. If it is a ford battery and is within warranty period and you have a good relationship with your dealer they may give you a new one. But if not or you just dont want to deal with dealership crap then just replace it.

shadowblack_badger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think until you open the drivers door the car is still under power (after powering the car down). Personal experience with my car (2017 5.0), even with the car fully powered down, there is still auxiliary power on until the driver door is opened. Which theoretically could/may be draining the battery. Is the current battery the original battery? Also, are you charging a phone while taking your lunch break in the car? I’m only throwing ideas out there. Though it does sounds as if your current battery may need changing. What kind of volts are you showing at start and idle?

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I bought my 2018 GT in Jan of 2018, the battery in the car was dated 10/17/17. About 2 weeks ago the battery started to give me the same troubles you mentioned. After getting it tested, it was only holding a 55% charge. I replaced it with a Duracell 96R and all is good in the world. I guess any time after 3years or 36 months on the factory battery is bonus time. I would get yours replaced.

MikeyV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 GT Premium - Brembo - Race Red
Seems like these modern batteries work and work and work, and then one time all at once, they are stone dead and unchangeable/unjumpable.

And now that it's getting cold outside they really take a hit.

Here in CA, it was like 115 degrees a few weeks ago, and this morning it was 39, and just north of me, there's a frost advisory for temps in the 20s. That's in Napa Valley, which was just a raging inferno two weeks ago.

Crazy.

Anyhow, probably time for a new battery. The stocker in my '14 GT has lasted until now, but I'm gonna replace it this week I reckon.

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
Probably a weak battery. If you have a 2016, then it may be 4-5 years old. You should be able to run the radio for that half an hour, just sitting. You could get it load tested, but if very old it might be prudent to just get a new one. Mine failed with little warning. The taillights acted weird shortly before, and then one morning it was stone cold dead. Fortunately I was in the garage at home when it happened.
Sponsored