Sponsored

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
I didn't say (or know) otherwise. What is disgusting is that it took 2 friggin' YEARS to admit the problem and deploy the fix.
When you actually own one, then come back and join us.

cactus_kid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
'21 GT (see sig)
Guess what jr. Bull shit walks and money talks .................. And your common as house flies 5.0 GT will depreciate much faster than a GT30R. May I suggest you look at the $$ numbers of those crossing the auction at Manheim ? I see them daily.

03reptile

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
What 03 Cobra disaster are you talking about? The 03-04 Cobras are pretty robust.
I think he was referring to the 1999 Mustang Cobra rather than the 2003. As you said, the 03/04/Mustang Cobras were pretty bullet proof! I put 65K miles on my 03 before selling it to get the new 2007 GT500! Sure missed the IRS!

Sponsored

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
like some have said most of the parts are going to “trickle over “ ....... except of course the FPC motor .

I am assuming they have to keep a supply or voodoo motors for warranty but there will come a time when it will be hard to get engine parts (except for those shares with the GT 500 of course ).

I am even more glad now I have a couple of “spare “ voodoo motors .
I was wondering about this issue as well. I know that in the realm of tuning and aftermarket parts, there is a huge market for Mustangs because they are so popular. Do you know what its like for the older classic GT350s and GT500s regarding engine rebuilds and parts? I heard from people that restore cars, that Mustangs are the best ones to do project builds on because parts are not hard to find. I don't know if that applies to the engine though.

I don't know about copyrights or patents but it would be nice if you could get a shop to build the engine for you. I know that recently there is a shop that made 200 or something of the original 65 GT350s to spec as there back in the day (with a few minor safety additions). I think there where the ones who made it back in '65, regardless it would still be nice if there was a shop that could rebuild the voodoo engine several years down the line.

Last edited:

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
So, a Predator short block with a Voodoo FPC couldn’t work for a block replacement?

RPDBlueMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Heritage Edition, Civic Type R
So, a Predator short block with a Voodoo FPC couldn’t work for a block replacement?
Ford sells the crate engine Aluminator, which is the the Predator without the whipple supercharger. I remember reading that Ford didn't want to use the Voodoo for the GT500 because something about the low torque of the flat plane engine. I don't know all the the details but basically its the Voodoo but its cross-plane instead of flat plane, 580hp and 7,800 redline, not bad. The Voodoo, and Aluminator must share the same parts so I guess you could theoretically just get an Aluminator and strip it, or maybe put in a flat plane crankshaft?? (Im sure its more complicated than that). I don't know anything about this stuff.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Ford had to bodge the Voodoo to deal with FPC vibration. CPC characteristics are different and so likely have the extra weight chopped off. Would the Predator/Aluminator block work as a replacement? It'll fit but vibration will likely shorten it's lifespan. If there are no more Voodoo-specific blocks or crate engines I think the only way forward is to put a CPC engine in it's place.

You can still buy 0-mile, factory new Vipers so I would expect Ford to keep the engine plant running a little while longer to stash a couple hundred engines for the future. 10 years from now I'm afraid the GT350 will be an albatross - you can only sell it in conjunction with (most of?) a 2nd motor.

Last edited:

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
And your common as house flies 5.0 GT will depreciate much faster than a GT30R.
who said anything about relative depreciation between the two? When the GT350/R finds it's natural depreciation schedule (7-9%/yr I reckon) the current price distortions will be gone. I figure 2023 or so the trend will be fully asserted, maybe sooner if the Mach1 is a home-run in delivery and price point.

In any event the 5.0 is not the superior car to the GT350. Something else is. And yet it costs the same as the 5.0, go figure.

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Typical...uninformed spreading misinformation...

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
I was wondering about this issue as well. I know that in the realm of tuning and aftermarket parts, there is a huge market for Mustangs because they are so popular. Do you know what its like for the older classic GT350s and GT500s regarding engine rebuilds and parts? I heard from people that restore cars, that Mustangs are the best ones to do project builds on because parts are not hard to find. I don't know if that applies to the engine though.

I don't know about copyrights or patents but it would be nice if you could get a shop to build the engine for you. I know that recently there is a shop that made 200 or something of the original 65 GT350s to spec as there back in the day (with a few minor safety additions). I think there where the ones who made it back in '65, regardless it would still be nice if there was a shop that could rebuild the voodoo engine several years down the line.
Ford sells the crate engine Aluminator, which is the the Predator without the whipple supercharger. I remember reading that Ford didn't want to use the Voodoo for the GT500 because something about the low torque of the flat plane engine. I don't know all the the details but basically its the Voodoo but its cross-plane instead of flat plane, 580hp and 7,800 redline, not bad. The Voodoo, and Aluminator must share the same parts so I guess you could theoretically just get an Aluminator and strip it, or maybe put in a flat plane crankshaft?? (Im sure its more complicated than that). I don't know anything about this stuff.
Ford had to bodge the Voodoo to deal with FPC vibration. CPC characteristics are different and so likely have the extra weight chopped off. Would the Predator/Aluminator block work as a replacement? It'll fit but vibration will likely shorten it's lifespan. If there are no more Voodoo-specific blocks or crate engines I think the only way forward is to put a CPC engine in it's place.

You can still buy 0-mile, factory new Vipers so I would expect Ford to keep the engine plant running a little while longer to stash a couple hundred engines for the future. 10 years from now I'm afraid the GT350 will be an albatross - you can only sell it in conjunction with (most of?) a 2nd motor.
The predator and the voodoo in the 19+ GT 350 share the same block . The final machining is different as the oil Squirters in the voodoo are in the mains and the predator uses the older style coyote oil squirters . The predator block is also clearanced for its larger rods .
The 5.2 Alluminator uses the same block as the predator but the pistons are higher compression (same as the voodoo ) and it uses the Manley H- rods (not predator rods ) which are specific for the voodoo pistons .

I have had 2 “spare “ voodoo long blocks built .
The first started as complete voodoo engine but I had the rods swapped for the Manley rods and I swapped the valve springs and head bolts for studs

The second was from scratch using the latest (Gen 2) voodoo block .You could get a good used voodoo crank for about $500-$800 on eBay a year .ago .

Last edited:

olaosunt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard,base,M6,KB-2.DIB,auto,Hellion TT,2016 GT 350/Gen 3 Whipple ,2018 Mustang GT/Gen 5 Whipple
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fo...MIrP-o9J2t7AIVc4BQBh2E6wcREAAYASAAEgLVXfD_BwE

They can still be found on eBay for $800
Lots of companies (JE/Diamond /Mahle ) sell after market voodoo/3.7 bore pistons .
Only Manley makes the rods with the tapered ends specific for the voodoo /Mahle pistons but you could use the standard rods with other 3.7 pistons .

So I am guessing the only part of the engine that may be hard to come by in future may be the FP crank .

Last edited:

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Ford had to bodge the Voodoo to deal with FPC vibration. CPC characteristics are different and so likely have the extra weight chopped off.
You have it backwards. The FPC is lighter, not heavier. CPCs are always heavier because the design requires larger counterweights.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Genuine-Fo...MIrP-o9J2t7AIVc4BQBh2E6wcREAAYASAAEgLVXfD_BwE

They can still be found on eBay for $800
Lots of companies (JE/Diamond /Mahle ) sell after market voodoo/3.7 bore pistons .
Only Manley makes the rods with the tapered ends specific for the voodoo /Mahle pistons but you could use the standard rods with other 3.7 pistons .

So I am guessing the only part of the engine that may be hard to come by in future may be the FP crank .
Costs a lot less to stock cranks than whole engines. I’m thinking Ford has this all figured out.
Sponsored