Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
more accurate bores, closer-fitting pistons, better ring gaps, better crankcase pressure managment.
hasn't it been proven that mid/later 2108s did get revised ring and piston packs?
Sponsored

nmp1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Raptor 2020 GT350R 2022 GT500
hasn't it been proven that mid/later 2108s did get revised ring and piston packs?
Hasn’t the oil consumption been minimal to nothing in the GEN 2 engines? I have a 2020 and it hasn’t use a drop of oil yet.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I didn't say (or know) otherwise. What is disgusting is that it took 2 friggin' YEARS to admit the problem and deploy the fix.

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
I definitely miss mine RIP GT350 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Hasn’t the oil consumption been minimal to nothing in the GEN 2 engines? I have a 2020 and it hasn’t use a drop of oil yet.
Yes. Unfortunately, you will have the uniformed trying to inform those who live with a GT350 on the daily attempting to persuade them that even their Gen 2 is a POS.

there are plenty of Gen 1’s that don’t burn oil on the reg... but, the whole ride gets a bad rap because of fear propaganda.

Sponsored

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Yes. Unfortunately, you will have the uniformed trying to inform those who live with a GT350 on the daily attempting to persuade them that even their Gen 2 is a POS.

there are plenty of Gen 1’s that don’t burn oil on the reg... but, the whole ride gets a bad rap because of fear propaganda.
Been next to nothing for mid/later 18's as well. But what do I know...I only changed my own oil, inspect my filters, and have never had to top it off in between.

jpindustrie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford Mustang
the 2015-2020 GT350 and GT350R , what an enigma

on paper , as a marketing exercise it did not fall in the same 'business as usual' SVT/Ford Racing/Ford Performance ...

it was such a departure and definitely talk about right place right time: Ford already played the HP number game (and it was really to stomp out the Germans than any small block with a blower the other side of town could come up with)... the 2015 S197 signaled a change - why not take a different direction

I always laugh at the notion that maybe the engine designs were switched between the Shelby GT350 and the 2016 Ford GT.

Kudos to Ford for thinking outside the box , thats what consumers should be rewarding $$ wise

The Shelby GT350: while others are losing steam at 7k RPM...having to engage their fancy electronic shifter flappy paddles... thats where you really meet it , as the movie said: "thats where it waits for you..."

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Exactly. Neither of those numbers can be felt, so who cares?

I wish people, and manufacturers, would quit chasing trivial numbers and focus more on the driving experience. Hence why the GT350 is such a dream to drive: it's sensory overload in that car.

If clicking the button into Drive and just mashing the throttle were all we cared about, things any monkey could do, we'd all be driving Teslas. Yawn.
If you can't feel a 3 mph trap speed differential you need to get your butt dyno calibrated. That's equivalent to adding 40-45 hp or removing ~250+ lbs at these cars' weight (assuming all else equal). The difference here obviously is the A10 doesn't add power, it just makes acceleration more efficient with closer gear ratios (thus increasing average hp) and quicker shifts.

Any monkey can drive an automatic GT around curvy mountain foothill roads like I did on my way home from work yesterday? Interesting! I didn't realize driving was ONLY shifting gears with a manual. Forget that steering and braking stuff! btw I have had M6 cars for 17 out of the past 19 years since I bought my first M6 car in 2001.

You do realize the guy who is pushing for the A10/Voodoo combo is a GT-poser here right?

The A10 would be a handicap sticker on the 350.
I wasn't trying to impress anyone, which is part of the definition of poser. I was just stating the fact that the GT350R in this article would be even more of a beast in a straight line (and probably faster around a track) with the A10. I fully realize and even stated the driver engagement would be reduced. It was just a comment.

I'm a fan of ALL V8 Mustangs, whether it's a 5.0 A10 like mine, or a Voodoo powered GT350 or R.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The question is "how are you driving your car". Putt-putting around is one thing, track events are another. When it was built, what parts were used. There is clearly a warranty issue with some cars under some circumstances and most of us know people who have gotten entire engines, or just lived with very high oil consumption. Even the magazines found that.
Warranty costs are always an issue with Ford product lifecycle decisions. From what I know from my own dealer, this isn't as bad as the 2003 Cobra disaster (which I experienced to it's fullest extent; that engine was very clearly not developed or tested adequately), but it is happening. I've seen two GT350s lost that were doing track events, and a friend's lost from nothing more than putting around.
The other issue with the GT350 is it's price. It's matched up wrong against a Camaro ZL1 1LE, and against it's own brother GT500.
And IMHO, a question I asked at the press day for it, the GT350 has many many orphan parts which add to the high price. And over the last few years we now jhave even more, for example 3 different front fenders (base, GT350, GT500), several different rear brakes (base, GT, GT350 with integral parking drum brake, GT500 with parking brake caliper), 2 different front spindles and rear spindles, and even more. Improvements such as the spindles, for example, could be spread across the entire line to lower costs and save money.

Last edited:

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Shame we never got the GT350 in the UK. Probably one of my favourite cars. The styling, the noise, the high reving V8 and the involvement of a stick shift - they are the ingredients of a classic.

Sponsored

Mikthehun1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'
I don't think most GT350R buyers give much thought to 0.3 seconds and 3mph trap speed at the srip.
Ah, but there are those 350 owners who are kept up at night by that one moment: the time a GT beat them in a drag...when they locked eyes with the driver...the shame...the regret. If only they could have shifted faster. If only they could have stayed in the powerband. It just isn't fair. The gearing...the high revving CPC. It's meant for track work, not stoplight racing. If that smug GT ever showed up at a track day, then they'dshow them. But they never do. And the GT350 owner is haunted for the rest of their life.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
Shame we never got the GT350 in the UK.
And that was strange since it was shown there in a publicized video. And just recently we found that it wouldn't have passed Euro emissions.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
The difference here obviously is the A10 doesn't add power, it just makes acceleration more efficient with closer gear ratios (thus increasing average hp) and quicker shifts.

Any monkey can drive an automatic GT around curvy mountain foothill roads like I did on my way home from work yesterday? Interesting! I didn't realize driving was ONLY shifting gears with a manual. Forget that steering and braking stuff! btw I have had M6 cars for 17 out of the past 19 years since I bought my first M6 car in 2001.

I wasn't trying to impress anyone, which is part of the definition of poser. I was just stating the fact that the GT350R in this article would be even more of a beast in a straight line (and probably faster around a track) with the A10. I fully realize and even stated the driver engagement would be reduced. It was just a comment.

I'm a fan of ALL V8 Mustangs, whether it's a 5.0 A10 like mine, or a Voodoo powered GT350 or R.
The bold part is contradictory. I’m assuming you mean that the A10 doesn’t add power but helps to keep the engine in the optimal power band?...

No one declared that you were attempting to impress anyone. You drive a GT yet come in a GT350 forum and tell us how our cars could benefit from something when you have no firsthand knowledge of driving our cars... aka, poser (poseur). I don’t go over to the GT forum and tell them that their PP2 GTs would be faster with a voodoo...

If the A10 was so venerable and more appropriate for the GT350, then why’d they use the Tremec 7-speed DCT in the GT500? The A10 has its own problems, and there are multiple articles and forum threads on Mustang and F150 forums about the troubles with the A10.

Lastly, you lost me at “straight line”. I really could care less about the straight line drag potential of the GT350, and seeing that you drive a GT I can understand why that interests you, but it’s not for me. I think a lot of us are totally happy with a manual gearbox in the 350.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
An A10 in a GT350 would defeat the very purpose of the GT350

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
The question is "how are you driving your car". Putt-putting around is one thing, track events are another. When it was built, what parts were used. There is clearly a warranty issue with some cars under some circumstances and most of us know people who have gotten entire engines, or just lived with very high oil consumption. Even the magazines found that.
Warranty costs are always an issue with Ford product lifecycle decisions. From what I know from my own dealer, this isn't as bad as the 2003 Cobra disaster (which I experienced to it's fullest extent; that engine was very clearly not developed or tested adequately), but it is happening. I've seen two GT350s lost that were doing track events, and a friend's lost from nothing more than putting around.
The other issue with the GT350 is it's price. It's matched up wrong against a Camaro ZL1 1LE, and against it's own brother GT500.
And IMHO, a question I asked at the press day for it, the GT350 has many many orphan parts which add to the high price. And over the last few years we now jhave even more, for example 3 different front fenders (base, GT350, GT500), several different rear brakes (base, GT, GT350 with integral parking drum brake, GT500 with parking brake caliper), 2 different front spindles and rear spindles, and even more. Improvements such as the spindles, for example, could be spread across the entire line to lower costs and save money.

What 03 Cobra disaster are you talking about? The 03-04 Cobras are pretty robust.
Sponsored