corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Ahh, nice diversion. Neither is the GT3 that was tested in C&D yet it is still tested for all the test parameters.
It's not about whether the Mach 1 or the GT3 or even a Prius should be tested for 0-60 and ET.

It's about the tendency for so many people to rate any given car on those stats alone, especially where the car in question was specifically given a different mix of performance strengths. Not every car has to be a dragstrip car first with everything else about it a distant second.

Norm
Sponsored

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
What I don’t get is why everyone, who doesn’t own one, keeps talking about the Tremec and coolers. Yes, those are the big mechanical differences but a M1 is so much more than that.
Eh....subjectively, sure. If it has sentimental value to someone, that's one thing. But objectively, it's a PP2 with the throttle body, intake, trans, coolers, and spoiler from the 350 and that's it.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2019 Ram 1500
Eh....subjectively, sure. If it has sentimental value to someone, that's one thing. But objectively, it's a PP2 with the throttle body, intake, trans, coolers, and spoiler from the 350 and that's it.
And? Why is that bad? Do those things make it a worse car? If not why try to minimize them? As I posted in the ripoff thread, if Ford made all the M1 upgrades available as options on a GT but didn’t call it a different name, people wouldn’t constantly keep making excuses for why they wouldn’t buy one or try to rationalize why you shouldn’t order a GT with those options. After months of reading all these posts about why I’m stupid for wasting money on this underwhelming car I’m getting fed up. Parts bin car? What the F does everyone think modding their cars to make them handle like the M1 is? It’s adding friggin parts!!!

Charlemagne

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Tempest 2021 Mustang Mach 1 Velocity Blue M3440
Vehicle Showcase
You forgot a lot of things as well - GT500 diffusor with gorgeous exchaust tips, better splitter, underbody, suspension, steering. New engine tune, new various calibrations. New mask, wheels, wheel lips.

It's improved PP2. Call it PP3 if you want, fine by me :like:

Sponsored

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
And? Why is that bad? Do those things make it a worse car? If not why try to minimize them? As I posted in the ripoff thread, if Ford made all the M1 upgrades available as options on a GT but didn’t call it a different name, people wouldn’t constantly keep making excuses for why they wouldn’t buy one or try to rationalize why you shouldn’t order a GT with those options. After months of reading all these posts about why I’m stupid for wasting money on this underwhelming car I’m getting fed up. Parts bin car? What the F does everyone think modding their cars to make them handle like the M1 is? It’s adding friggin parts!!!
Woah there, dude. Take a breather. We'll get through this together :cwl:

I never said the Mach 1 was bad. Someone else said that it's "so much more" than a PP2 with a Tremec and coolers, but I personally disagree with that. I think it is exactly a PP2 with a Tremec and coolers but that's still great. Those are worthwhile upgrades. I would love to have coolers on my car; then it wouldn't overheat so quickly on track.
Do I think the Mach 1 is overpriced, yeah, but it's still a solid car. I know I've bought my fair share of overpriced things in life.

Mikepol2

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Woah there, dude. Take a breather. We'll get through this together :cwl:

I never said the Mach 1 was bad. Someone else said that it's "so much more" than a PP2 with a Tremec and coolers, but I personally disagree with that. I think it is exactly a PP2 with a Tremec and coolers but that's still great. Those are worthwhile upgrades. I would love to have coolers on my car; then it wouldn't overheat so quickly on track.
Do I think the Mach 1 is overpriced, yeah, but it's still a solid car. I know I've bought my fair share of overpriced things in life.
Sorry. Ordered the most expensive car of my life in March and pretty much daily since then have read over and over about it being a bad value. Have been pretty calm about it but today just couldn’t take it anymore, gotta have thicker skin. Actually should probably just get off 6G and forget about it.

Atlas1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Audi S6, 2021 Mach 1 'M1985'
Sorry. Ordered the most expensive car of my life in March and pretty much daily since then have read over and over about it being a bad value. Have been pretty calm about it but today just couldn’t take it anymore, gotta have thicker skin. Actually should probably just get off 6G and forget about it.
It’s a process you have to work through :cwl: All Mach owners do.
step 1 is defending the mach
Step 2 is getting angry........that’s where you’re at
Step 3 is realizing you’re not going to change some people’s mind
Step 4 is ignoring these threads and just enjoying the car
I’m somewhere between step 3 and 4 :cwl:

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
You bought a car you wanted....more power to you sir! Go enjoy the hell out of it!

I don't know why I keep coming back to this forum (yes I do, it's very entertaining). It's full of misinformation, immaturity, hard parker bros, and an infinite number of "will these wheels fit" threads.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
The point of this thread guys was that Car and Driver testing this car with worn tires is unfair to this car. I at least expected it to match the PP Level 2 car in acceleration and handling numbers. Due to the worn tires it did neither.

I came to the decision I got such a smoking deal on my current whip I am going to hold on to it. To go $20k further into debt and worse lending parameters just isn't worth the Tremec and coolers which is my main motivation into this car.

If I didn't have a new Mustang right now I would be jumping all over this car. I actually feel it is worth it if you are in the market for a V8 Mustang.

IMG_20210424_125648233_HDR.jpg

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I know they mentioned that the tires were worn but the MPH at the end of the 1/4 mile wasn't any better, the 2019 manual has the shitty ratios of the MT82D4. Why would they test this car with such worn rubber?
I guess what you'd need to do would be to do a sanity check against other Mach 1 HP road tests - sounds like C/D wasn't the first crew to get their hands on this car.

Also, I think the handling package wheels and tires weigh a ton. Some lighter wheels would help a lot in this case from the amount of rotational mass this car has to haul around.
Less help than you're thinking . . .

Norm

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
If I didn't have a new Mustang right now I would be jumping all over this car. I actually feel it is worth it if you are in the market for a V8 Mustang.
Fact. The M1 is the pinnacle of the 5.0 S550s. Everyone that gets one is going to love it.

However, to me, it's not worth the ~$30K delta (less if you consider the wacky car values at the moment) over my long-paid-off, low-mile, nicely modded '15 PP. That's sort of my beef with Ford not pushing the envelope further with it, to make me feel like I had to have it because it was so much different. I'd never track my '15 or the M1, so there's that also.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Evan ran better times in an auto 2018 GT than what he ran with the Mach, although vet close.
So maybe, just maybe, the Mach 1 with the HP option really isn't the hot tip for those whose Mustang enthusiasm begins and ends with straight-line acceleration times.

Just like the 26 years of Fox/SN95/New Edge Mustangs weren't the go-to ponycar answer for the corner-carvers among us for all those years.

Norm

OP
OP
Dave2013M3

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
I guess what you'd need to do would be to do a sanity check against other Mach 1 HP road tests - sounds like C/D wasn't the first crew to get their hands on this car.

Less help than you're thinking . . .

Norm
I realize this but it does help.
Sponsored