Sponsored

Car and Driver Muscle Car Showdown: 2020 GT500 vs ZL1 1LE vs Challenger Hellcat Redeye

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
One of these reviews needs to do the 0-100-0 test. I don't think the GT500 can be touched in this category, but it'd be cool to see where the other cars land.
Motor Trend has already done that. They weren’t same day, but they were same location same driver. What they got was

• CFTP: 10.7s
  • C8 Stingray: 10.8s
  • GT500 base: 11.1s
Whether or not everyone agrees with the numbers and how they were attained (tire condition, windows open, turn signals on or not) it does show that GT500 and C8 are within spittin’ distance of each other on this metric.
Sponsored

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Haven't driven either the ZL1 or GT500 (on order) but I didn't buy this car for track domination. I've driven a new Z/28 (17 or 18), the hard core Camaro and it was a purpose built weapon. I've also had several as rental cars and enjoyed that submarine feeling.

My reason for the Mustang is that it is a multipurpose weapon - one i can take to any type of track and still take trips with the Mrs.'s without unhappy stares. Ordered mine with the tech and handling pack to take it to more GT touring type of car as well. I drove the GT350 and coming from an 03 Cobra (with mods) I knew I had to have another forced induction motor.

As my friend says, there is a butt for every seat - find yours! Just know what you're looking for. And enjoy whatever you buy.

One thing we all need to ponder is this: Are we at the Zenith of the gas powered engine and is this the end of an era with the advance of electric powered vehicles?
Great post and congrats on your GT500! It's for sure the triathlete of the three.

I'm afraid we are indeed close to the end of the Great American V8 Era. Not sure what I'm going to have to tell myself to accept the EVs, but I'm not there yet... going to have to get smoked consistently on the road course I think.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
One thing we all need to ponder is this: Are we at the Zenith of the gas powered engine and is this the end of an era with the advance of electric powered vehicles?
@OH3Cobra : IMHO, we are at or near the end. Batteries are getting cheaper by the week and electrics are getting better. The numbers are already close and in some cases, MUCH better than those from the best ICE-powered vehicle.

So my bet is, it's just a matter of time before the electric trend becomes dominant.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Motor Trend has already done that. They weren’t same day, but they were same location same driver. What they got was

• CFTP: 10.7s
  • C8 Stingray: 10.8s
  • GT500 base: 11.1s
Whether or not everyone agrees with the numbers and how they were attained (tire condition, windows open, turn signals on or not) it does show that GT500 and C8 are within spittin’ distance of each other on this metric.
So they got the same numbers as factory. Good. Wondering if the ZLE and RE get the factory numbers as well.

mJolnir

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Yeah he right about that.....I'll just drop this in for your viewing pleasure....enjoy a free lunch courtesy of Gaplebee's…….

Oh and here's one that shows the GT500 out braking the Tank but again it's in stock form with good tires.....AND it gets better because Camaro Carlos admits he got a bad launch in the GT500(I'll bet he did) and it still ran an identical time despite being on a pint sized track where he admitted again the GT500 would be faster on a longer track(hard for that phenomenal DCT to shine when it can't get out of 1st gear)…..but yeah carry on with the ass hurt emotional tribute to Sandy....errrr I mean Randy.
So are you just going keep finding excuses for the gt500 to loose at every track test to the zl1 1le? or are you finally going to accept that the camaro is a better track car?

Sponsored

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's the beauty of a command economy - you WILL produce what we tell you to because we said so. Plus a billion souls means you can accomplish a lot in the aggregate even if at the unit level they are way behind. When 'cost' has no meaning you can try all sorts of things. Plus USA et. al. have to deal with pesky things like emissions controls, labor relations, and economic returns. In CCP, you don't like it, here's a hollow-point at high velocity, or a prison cell for you to mull over your objections.
Haven't driven either the ZL1 or GT500 (on order) but I didn't buy this car for track domination. I've driven a new Z/28 (17 or 18), the hard core Camaro and it was a purpose built weapon. I've also had several as rental cars and enjoyed that submarine feeling.

My reason for the Mustang is that it is a multipurpose weapon - one i can take to any type of track and still take trips with the Mrs.'s without unhappy stares. Ordered mine with the tech and handling pack to take it to more GT touring type of car as well. I drove the GT350 and coming from an 03 Cobra (with mods) I knew I had to have another forced induction motor.

As my friend says, there is a butt for every seat - find yours! Just know what you're looking for. And enjoy whatever you buy.

Great post and congrats on your GT500! It's for sure the triathlete of the three.

I'm afraid we are indeed close to the end of the Great American V8 Era. Not sure what I'm going to have to tell myself to accept the EVs, but I'm not there yet... going to have to get smoked consistently on the road course I think.
@OH3Cobra : IMHO, we are at or near the end. Batteries are getting cheaper by the week and electrics are getting better. The numbers are already close and in some cases, MUCH better than those from the best ICE-powered vehicle.

So my bet is, it's just a matter of time before the electric trend becomes dominant.
ICE engines will change long before they go away. China is by far the region where EV adoption is growing faster. Even so, it will be almost 2030 before EVs are 10% of new vehicles sold. Into the 40s before it’s 25%. Europe is the next fastest region and North America is a distant 3rd. My company is the leading forecast source for the global automotive market. I forecast engines produced in North America and the vehicles they go into. We’re forecasting way beyond 2030 for US to achieve 10% penetration of EV for vehicles sold in the US. There will be significant growth in electrification during that time, with ICE engines being paired with electric motors powered by small to mid-sized battery packs. This will be true for improving “fuel” economy as well as improving performance.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
ICE engines will change long before they go away. China is by far the region where EV adoption is growing faster. Even so, it will be almost 2030 before EVs are 10% of new vehicles sold. Into the 40s before it’s 25%. Europe is the next fastest region and North America is a distant 3rd. My company is the leading forecast source for the global automotive market. I forecast engines produced in North America and the vehicles they go into. We’re forecasting way beyond 2030 for US to achieve 10% penetration of EV for vehicles sold in the US. There will be significant growth in electrification during that time, with ICE engines being paired with electric motors powered by small to mid-sized battery packs. This will be true for improving “fuel” economy as well as improving performance.
Thank you. Needed to hear this and I'll accept it as truth because I need to, haha!

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible

KB As long as your avatar's stay around...….

A factual informed post from someone in the industry - THANK YOU. Per your observations it will take time and for electrics they need infrastructure (charging stations etc) Time will truly tell, I'm glad we have a few more years.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
KB As long as your avatar's stay around...….

A factual informed post from someone in the industry - THANK YOU. Per your observations it will take time and for electrics they need infrastructure (charging stations etc) Time will truly tell, I'm glad we have a few more years.
To be honest, charging infrastructure is less of an issue than the general press makes it, just like the “explosion in EV sales” (still under 2% in US) is overstated. The people most concerned about charging infrastructure are people who’ve never driven an EV for more than a week. Most EV drivers wake up with a “full tank” every morning and rarely drive more than half of it on any given day. Public charging is primarily for trips that exceed the full range of the vehicle. Something most drivers only do single-digit number of times a year. And most of those have a more suitable ICE vehicle in the household.

Sponsored

Minn19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
19 ZL1 1LE, 19 F150, 19 SB S5
So finding an unbiased driver for a review is mow a negative thing lol. Thisnis why noone takes yiu serious.
Sbip.yiur car to the east coast. Cost about 1500. Ill get the track, 15k, insurance, 5k amd find an equal 500 amd unbiased driver(s).

Whats the issue?
I know what it is. Keyboarders cower when taken to task.
First off, holy ajdsjdbn ajsfjabjf and ajsnfjkndjknfj?

Second, you want me to ship my car to the East Coast for not an unsubstantial amount of money (never mind possible damage there and back) and then let someone else beat the shit out of my car (then replace the tires for 2k ish) or I'm a keyboard warrior? Is this what you are truly asking and you are wondering why nobody is taking you up on your "offer?"

Ok, I'm a keyboard warrior.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Agree with you but I believe ICE performance cars may be peaking. Either hybrid or full EV have big performance advantages with instantaneous torque to the ground, better fuel economy, and better reliability, better center of gravity, etc. They need to improve weight and battery efficiency, but it’s coming. I think the GT500 is the peak for overall ICE power in a Mustang. We could still see some sort of a V8 variant for the next gen Mustang, but for the higher performance version there will definitive have to be an EV component.

martinjlm

Retired from GM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Agree with you but I believe ICE performance cars may be peaking. Either hybrid or full EV have big performance advantages with instantaneous torque to the ground, better fuel economy, and better reliability, better center of gravity, etc. They need to improve weight and battery efficiency, but it’s coming. I think the GT500 is the peak for overall ICE power in a Mustang. We could still see some sort of a V8 variant for the next gen Mustang, but for the higher performance version there will definitive have to be an EV component.
I agree. That was what I meant about ICE combined with electric motors and small to mid-sized battery packs. Ford is going to make a Police Pursuit Mustang (and Explorer) with an ICE and hybrid powertrain. There will be an electric motor between the the engine and transmission that will allow for low speed driving with the ICE off, but it will also provide massive torque at launch and power assist during acceleration for a very broad section of the engine operating range. Hybrid? Yes. But not in a Prius sorta way.

You can see the copper windings of the electric motor just to the right of the torque converter in this cutaway view of the Explorer Hybrid. Imagine the same motor with a 5.0L to the right and a 10R80 to the left in a Mustang. Voila! Police Pursuit Hybrid Mustang! (And maybe Mach I?)

C3E4330B-A7A6-4CA6-A225-372F4D76B4EB.jpeg

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
So they got the same numbers as factory. Good. Wondering if the ZLE and RE get the factory numbers as well.
Zl1 1le time is I believe 11.1 it should be said that was done with a manual.

If I remember right the 60-0 stopping distance was 91 ft. Super car stuff. I could be wrong on that, feel free to find the times I just don’t feel like it.

Yeah I’m tired.
Sponsored