Sponsored

Car and Driver Muscle Car Showdown: 2020 GT500 vs ZL1 1LE vs Challenger Hellcat Redeye

Checkmate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Well this thread has gone to hell already.

I am all about public discourse but the S550 platform has it’s strengths and weaknesses.

The GT350/R is the sweet spot but still has room for improvement compared to the Camaro + Alpha platform with respect to the chassis.

Let’s be thankful we have the choice between all of these amazing machines. They are all epic!
Sponsored

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I'm assuming you weren't referring to the weight.
A dumpster is pretty light too when empty.....I just never want to drive one.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Might be hard to confirm because no one really buys them but I doubt they roll out of the dealer with the degree of camber that the car in the video had.....meanwhile just bald tires and missing aero on the GT500....
Well.. You are on a Mustang GT500 subforum in the general section. Not a Camaro forum. Forget the badge or the Ford vs Chevy loyalty crap because I have no loyalty to any one car company.

But for me, the ergonomics of the Gen6 Camaro are a complete turnoff. It really came down to sitting back to back in a ZLE and ZL1 and numerous test drives vs a GT350, and as I have as a I like the handling of the Camaro, I just could not get past sitting in the car and daily driving it. Coming from a C7 (which many people complain about the visibility, etc) I as surprised to find the Camaro have even worse sight lines.

I know.. People say you learn to live with it “and it ain’t so bad” but the fact is I love daily driving my GT350. I have kids in the backseat occasionally and it’s worked out great. I had to haul some pretty big bags for my sons school sporting activity and they fit in the trunk perfectly with three kids in the car and all their gear.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
You call us keyboard warriors and then want to hire someone to drive your car for you? Jesus dude.

How about you show up here at Laguna. https://www.motorsportreg.com/event...7LQIqBPGewTtONVdM-siGGrUOa8emwg6jejBHNuJH4zSw

Drive the car yourself. You've got plenty of time to prepare, I'll be waiting for you. BTW mine is a regular ZL1.
So again, your more like blaq than I. I offer a challenge, a reasonable challenge an no one accepts..

Holy shit dude............................:crazy:. You are into this for way more than most of us are. I have very little spare time so I go to the track when I can for fun. Both on the track and off the track with non fanboys/just car people doing the same thing I am. Good luck trying to start your version of Jersey boys Street Outlaws. Also, as said when we went through this before, if I had the time to trailer my car out there this summer and back I'd love to regardless of the outcome. But, not if you are this nuts in real life though.

You asked what Blaq like claim was outrageous? For starters the Rand P is paid by competitors to sandbag Fords. I asked you for a link/any kind of proof except for yours and other :crazy: people's opinions here.

So in summary, Blaq is a paid Ford hater and you are a paid Ford cheerleader. There is balance on the dark side of the fanboy force. :crackup:
So finding an unbiased driver for a review is mow a negative thing lol. Thisnis why noone takes yiu serious.
Sbip.yiur car to the east coast. Cost about 1500. Ill get the track, 15k, insurance, 5k amd find an equal 500 amd unbiased driver(s).

Whats the issue?
I know what it is. Keyboarders cower when taken to task.

Please explain what right you have to call out Randy for not driving the GT500 to a win every time, and yet you can call Camaros crap. When has Randy called Mustangs names?
I’m sorry but this is plain hypocrisy.
What right do u have to question me? Thats hypocrisy:)

Yet the only proof we have of ANY of these comparisons show that the GM is always modded or they bring in a different car to run a different test? Why? And even Randy said the GT500 was UNDENIABLY THE FASTER TRACK car on good tires(MORE THAN 10mph faster on the straights).....you people are like trying to watch CNN when Nick at Night makes more sense....

They ignore that.. He knows its faster.. yet for some reason, he wont let it post the #..

Most of the comments are about visibility.... that’s how you know GM nailed it on the chassis.
Apparently the 2nd highest, and often heard complaint, is the suspension..so theres that

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Apparently the 2nd highest, and often heard complaint, is the suspension..so theres that
ZLE’s are only driven on roads made of glass, didn’t you get the memo?

It is funny though because nearly every review says “you won’t want to drive this car on the street”, or “this car is undriveable on bad roads”.

Look if you have the means to buy a $60-70K+ dedicated track car, good for you. But for the vast majority of people they will drive these cars everywhere. Street, track, etc. I can’t stand buying a car and then parking it in my garage and using it a few days a month or for only a few months out of the year.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
ZLE’s are only driven on roads made of glass, didn’t you get the memo?

It is funny though because nearly every review says “you won’t want to drive this car on the street”, or “this car is undriveable on bad roads”.

Look if you have the means to buy a $60-70K+ dedicated track car, good for you. But for the vast majority of people they will drive these cars everywhere. Street, track, etc. I can’t stand buying a car and then parking it in my garage and using it a few days a month or for only a few months out of the year.
they are rough, and we all know the 500 wins the comfort category, but even then you know many of these guys are not DD’ing the 500 either. it will be a fair weather car/track toy for many. first world problems here!

i enjoy driving mine on my commute, but I’ve been on roads that would absolutely drive me insane if i had to be on them often. i usually recommend someone considering a ZLE to try to test drive on the actual road of their commute(easier said than done). the 350 was a better DD for sure, so was my 16 GT. but the ZLE is more fun than either of them.

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
So again, your more like blaq than I. I offer a challenge, a reasonable challenge an no one accepts..

So finding an unbiased driver for a review is mow a negative thing lol. Thisnis why noone takes yiu serious.
Sbip.yiur car to the east coast. Cost about 1500. Ill get the track, 15k, insurance, 5k amd find an equal 500 amd unbiased driver(s).

Whats the issue?
I know what it is. Keyboarders cower when taken to task.

What right do u have to question me? Thats hypocrisy:)

They ignore that.. He knows its faster.. yet for some reason, he wont let it post the #..

You have every right to question me, when did I say otherwise? I don’t even know what you are talking about.

Here’s the deal, you can’t call other cars you don’t like names and then pretend to be Mr level head, Mr fair, Mr look I’m reasonable.

Calling a car crap is not something Randy would do, at least not a mustang, you really have no high ground on this at all.

SCCA Racer #75

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 on order, 2019 GT3RS, 2002 C5 Z06
Voodoo is just a fanboi... and until he gets the results he wants... it's an 'unfair test'... :shock:

Boy when Randy Pobst beat up on the C8 in the Mustang... then he wasn't biased? :blush:

I've said it a hundred times... Randy drives 100% to the best of his ability (insert 200% of any of your abilities) no matter the make or model.

Hopefully the GT500 will beat the ZLE at 'some track'... so that VOODOO and the rest of his Fanboi crowd can say the test was FAIR! :crying:

The problem with your challenge VOODOO... is when your 'faster Ford driver'.. goes even 'faster in the ZLE' :cwl:

Randy is the most upstanding dude you could ever meet... And he can wheel with the best of them... And he admitted the Ford didn't come prepped 'perfectly' at WIllow Springs... and when he 'says' he believes the GT500 would have been faster on new tires... then we believe him? :curse:

Right now.. .it is ZLE 3 - GT500 - 0, I have yet to see a quicker lap time... a better braking time... more g-forces than the ZLE.... heck... the ZLE wins the top speed number too! :giggle:

I guess you got one helluva a drag car! Unless you run across Demon? :wink:

Dave

Sponsored

Classic Lover

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Dodge Challenger T/A 392 6 speed manual.
Voodoo is just a fanboi... and until he gets the results he wants... it's an 'unfair test'... :shock:

Boy when Randy Pobst beat up on the C8 in the Mustang... then he wasn't biased? :blush:

I've said it a hundred times... Randy drives 100% to the best of his ability (insert 200% of any of your abilities) no matter the make or model.

Hopefully the GT500 will beat the ZLE at 'some track'... so that VOODOO and the rest of his Fanboi crowd can say the test was FAIR! :crying:

The problem with your challenge VOODOO... is when your 'faster Ford driver'.. goes even 'faster in the ZLE' :cwl:

Randy is the most upstanding dude you could ever meet... And he can wheel with the best of them... And he admitted the Ford didn't come prepped 'perfectly' at WIllow Springs... and when he 'says' he believes the GT500 would have been faster on new tires... then we believe him? :curse:

Right now.. .it is ZLE 3 - GT500 - 0, I have yet to see a quicker lap time... a better braking time... more g-forces than the ZLE.... heck... the ZLE wins the top speed number too! :giggle:

I guess you got one helluva a drag car! Unless you run across Demon? :wink:

Dave
You win some you lose some, gt500 will take some wins it just takes time.

Zl1 1lE is a great track car and it’s just plain hard to beat on a road course.

I love how Randy is the guy who said the gt500 would have been faster on fresh tires.

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
More tests to come. Looking forward to seeing the C&D laptimes. Those clever bastards are milking this for all it's worth. I'm betting/hoping the tires will be new and stock, both cars are in track alignment, and Ford pays Randy this time. :) (can't take this stuff too seriously fellas)

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I love how Randy is the guy who said the gt500 would have been faster on fresh tires.
Yeah he right about that.....I'll just drop this in for your viewing pleasure....enjoy a free lunch courtesy of Gaplebee's…….

Oh and here's one that shows the GT500 out braking the Tank but again it's in stock form with good tires.....AND it gets better because Camaro Carlos admits he got a bad launch in the GT500(I'll bet he did) and it still ran an identical time despite being on a pint sized track where he admitted again the GT500 would be faster on a longer track(hard for that phenomenal DCT to shine when it can't get out of 1st gear)…..but yeah carry on with the ass hurt emotional tribute to Sandy....errrr I mean Randy.

Last edited:

ZRacerLE

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2 & ZLE A10
Yeah he right about that.....I'll just drop this in for your viewing pleasure....enjoy a free lunch courtesy of Gaplebee's…….

Oh and here's one that shows the GT500 out braking the Tank but again it's in stock form with good tires.....AND it gets better because Camaro Carlos admits he got a bad launch in the GT500(I'll bet he did) and it still ran an identical time despite being on a pint sized track where he admitted again the GT500 would be faster on a longer track(hard for that phenomenal DCT to shine when it can't get out of 1st gear)…..but yeah carry on with the ass hurt emotional tribute to Sandy....errrr I mean Randy.
One of these reviews needs to do the 0-100-0 test. I don't think the GT500 can be touched in this category, but it'd be cool to see where the other cars land.

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
Haven't driven either the ZL1 or GT500 (on order) but I didn't buy this car for track domination. I've driven a new Z/28 (17 or 18), the hard core Camaro and it was a purpose built weapon. I've also had several as rental cars and enjoyed that submarine feeling.

My reason for the Mustang is that it is a multipurpose weapon - one i can take to any type of track and still take trips with the Mrs.'s without unhappy stares. Ordered mine with the tech and handling pack to take it to more GT touring type of car as well. I drove the GT350 and coming from an 03 Cobra (with mods) I knew I had to have another forced induction motor.

As my friend says, there is a butt for every seat - find yours! Just know what you're looking for. And enjoy whatever you buy.

One thing we all need to ponder is this: Are we at the Zenith of the gas powered engine and is this the end of an era with the advance of electric powered vehicles?
Sponsored