Car and Driver - GT350 Long Term Test Wrap Up After 40k Miles

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
The 18 and 19MY's have had a change in I believe the piston rings to reduce oil consumption. I don't believe there have been any reported issues on the 18's that got the newer rings.
But you go on to say you don’t know where this was stated? Amazing how people just post unqualified information as gospel, constantly.
Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
But you go on to say you don’t know where this was stated? Amazing how people just post unqualified information as gospel, constantly.
Apparently you haven't been on the forums often. Look around, it's been leaked out quite a bit. Someone with HVBOM access and some time could probably find the piston ring part numbers and confirm it.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Apparently you haven't been on the forums often. Look around, it's been leaked out quite a bit. Someone with HVBOM access and some time could probably find the piston ring part numbers and confirm it.
I’m not saying that I know one way or another - I’m saying that I havn’t seen any information other than rumor and wild-ass-guesses. At this point, I rank this information the same as a post that starts with “my dealer told me” this or that. People absorb what they want to hear regardless of the source, IMO, is the issue.

Do you have some official bulletin, some part number evidence, some actual Ford employee commentary or a side by side teardown of two engine showing different components?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I’m not saying that I know one way or another - I’m saying that I havn’t seen any information other than rumor and wild-ass-guesses. At this point, I rank this information the same as a post that starts with “my dealer told me” this or that. People absorb what they want to hear regardless of the source, IMO, is the issue.

Do you have some official bulletin, some part number evidence, some actual Ford employee commentary or a side by side teardown of two engine showing different components?

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
wish someone could make that picture in 1920*1080...would look pretty sharp as a wallpaper.
Yes and no. I resized it to 1920 width and cropped the height to 1080. Don't know the name but the effect that causes the vertical elements in the background all tilt toward the middle obviously apply to the car as well and after most of that is cropped off to make it 1080 high, the car looks really distorted. So I had to undo that. Fortunately PSE has a crop tool just for that. But that left the car looking a little squashed, so I had to stretch it back to proper height and re-crop the extra height that caused. Here it is if anyone wants it. Would have been better if starting with a version with a resolution that didn't need to be re-sized larger to get the 1920 width.

Edit: looks like the forum software resized it to 1900x1069. Sometimes you can't win. Added link to download full size:

Download 1080x1920 here: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtgXsH2d4fd-kqVUbZ9Epilc_rcGCQ

GT-350.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
The 18 and 19MY's have had a change in I believe the piston rings to reduce oil consumption. I don't believe there have been any reported issues on the 18's that got the newer rings.
I would like to know the source of that information... That is such a typical unfounded rumor.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I would like to know the source of that information... That is such a typical unfounded rumor.
I read about the ring change elsewhere. I didn't save the source as there are a bunch of Mustang forums as well as factory press releases.

1)The Ford engineers got it right with the Ford GT in the 2016 24 Hours of Le Mans with a 1st, 2nd, and 4th.It was the 50th Anniversary of their first win in 1966 (1st, 2nd, 3rd).They have been very successful since then. Ryan Briscoe spun out in the last few laps at Sebring in 2019 to allow a Corvette to take his place on the podium. A Ford GT still finished 2nd.

2) It seems to me that Ford engineers can correct any possible issue on a street car during the production run.

The above Car and Driver article was a 2017 Mustang Shelby GT350. I think Ford adjusted the GT350 before management called for the GT500 with 726 Hp.

Just my guess.

Scoobs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 MG GT350 sold, 2019 MG GT350R KR569
Stanglife you've only posted 4984 posts since joining in 2014, compared to Cosmo who has 1643 posts since joining in 2014. Stanglife I think you need to be on the forums more often :crackup:
Sponsored