Car and Driver - GT350 Long Term Test Wrap Up After 40k Miles

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
High oil consumption is not the norm. You are missing out on a great car for the wrong reason. IMO oil consumption/engine failure has been overstated.
Quite a few of them around here and no issues. I told a car friend who purchased an R recently that for every blown up engine there are likely hundreds of 0 problem cars.
Sponsored

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
Quite a few of them around here and no issues. I told a car friend who purchased an R recently that for every blown up engine there are likely hundreds of 0 problem cars.
That’s a fact Jack!

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
From info I gathered, I have proven statistically that for every car with oil consumption issues there are another 100 coming out of the factory line with no issues.... Fortunately, mine is one of those 100.
For now, 12k miles and no oil consumption; none that I can see. Now, remember they rev the tits out of the engine and only changed oil around 7500 miles, when dash was already shouting at them. I am pretty sure if you do that on any car, it will require top-up. My Mini cooper needs about a quart every 3k miles, and that is what Mini /BMW say it's normal. My 335i also needs about that , give or take depending on how heavy I am on the throttle.
I've said it before, the internet is bad sometimes. Some things get out of proportion quick, and trolls like the non GT350 owner above only help spreading them.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
Now, remember they rev the tits out of the engine and only changed oil around 7500 miles.

Not true in my case. I changed the factory oil at around 1000 miles, and knowing that it might use oil.....I checked it almost each time i got gas and stops on long trips. It started to use oil at 4K, I always topped it off when I saw it go below the lower hash mark. At 6 it got worse, at 8K i requested a oil consumption test.....I had one one.....the service tech confirmed I was using oil and they did all of the tests.....then they filled me up and off I went, two weeks later they said they wanted to do another 500 miles test. Mind you I had then added more oil of my own. So they drained all out, filled it up.....and away I went. 500 miles later, confirmed to burn 4 quarts in 500 miles. Then I got papers for a new engine. So please do not say all of us were dumbasses and ran the oil dry and never checked it till 7500 miles......I have a new engine, if this one eats oil , I'll get another one, and another one.....I've got 4 years left on engine and power train....and I'll use it.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
What will happen to the resale market once these cars power train warranty expires is something to consider. No way in hell I would buy one of these things if the power train warranty was expired.

I hope there is some sort of answer to this oil mystery from Ford. I really want to buy one of these (to own forever).

Just not comfortable with taking the chance with the engine because of the lack of transparency from Ford regarding this issue.

Sponsored

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
What will happen to the resale market once these cars power train warranty expires is something to consider. No way in hell I would buy one of these things if the power train warranty was expired.

I hope there is some sort of answer to this oil mystery from Ford. I really want to buy one of these (to own forever).

Just not comfortable with taking the chance with the engine because of the lack of transparency from Ford regarding this issue.
The 18 and 19MY's have had a change in I believe the piston rings to reduce oil consumption. I don't believe there have been any reported issues on the 18's that got the newer rings.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
The 18 and 19MY's have had a change in I believe the piston rings to reduce oil consumption. I don't believe there have been any reported issues on the 18's that got the newer rings.
There is no information...that I'm aware of...that tells us when the change for the 18 MY was implemented. Was it implemented from the beginning start of production or midway thru prod sometime?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
There is no information...that I'm aware of...that tells us when the change for the 18 MY was implemented. Was it implemented from the beginning start of production or midway thru prod sometime?
Don't know.

I know that the GT350R is built a few months after the GT350 starts build, so perhaps around then? Although the GT350 and GT350R engines are different, you would still have the same pistons and rings going into both engines so they wouldn't want to deal with complexity. So they would likely swap over everything at the same time.

JR369

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 Iconic
Don't know.

I know that the GT350R is built a few months after the GT350 starts build, so perhaps around then? Although the GT350 and GT350R engines are different, you would still have the same pistons and rings going into both engines so they wouldn't want to deal with complexity. So they would likely swap over everything at the same time.
I have an engine sticker of HA 555 AA for JR369. While my buddy has a sticker of JA 555 AA for his JR5xx. Could it be that only JA motors got the piston ring update? Probably never know unless we get an Engineer to chime in. The right Engineer... Could be I just have 17 MY block to start off with and the internals have the update. Who knows...

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153

Almost all the oil consuming motors exhibit problems within the first 4-8K miles. I wouldn't worry about a motor at 50K that is not drinking oil.

Sponsored

Zooks527

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 KB GT, 401A, 6MT, PP1, S&S, MR, AE, B&O / 2005 Toyota Tacoma
Almost all the oil consuming motors exhibit problems within the first 4-8K miles. I wouldn't worry about a motor at 50K that is not drinking oil.
That's not the case in the C&D 40k miles article linked in the first post. Their car didn't take any additional oil in the first 12,000 miles or so, then took 8 quarts in the next 12,000 and another 10 quarts in the 12,000 miles after that.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
I'm guessing the aftermarkets guys will find a solution to the oil burning problem when the Voodoo warranty period is dead and gone, like they did for the the crappy 996 and 997.1 Porsche engines with the IMS issues. LN and others stepped up and were able to fix it. But it was costly in some cases.

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
wish someone could make that picture in 1920*1080...would look pretty sharp as a wallpaper.

Alain

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alain
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat / 2019 350R #413
I don’t think it’s accurate to make that assumption.
I wouldn’t want to take the chance, that’s my personal opinion. Other people obviously don’t care as much about life after power train warranty expires. If I get an R I will be keeping it forever so it matters to me.

I wouldn’t want to deal with this oil issue years from now. In my opinion (regardless of what others say) these severe and mysterious oil issues are not common part of ownership for a modern car.

Ford’s secrecy around this issue adds to the uncertainty.

Braski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Traded 2015 Blk GT Prem PP on 2019 Corvette GS 2LT M7
Vehicle Showcase
Was there ever a poll of GT 350 owners on here about oil consumption and engine failures? I did a search but could not find one. I would make one but I think a GT 350 owner who actually experienced it would get better participation. As a potential buyer of a used GT 350 I would love to see some numbers.
Sponsored