Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Cool photo locale, I've been to that shop in New Orleans. And the bar across the street, beware the Hurricane. :rockon:
Sponsored

Nfs1000f

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 & 2019 Ford Fusion SEL Hybrid
It is the safe to say that Car & Driver beat this snot out of this car. I would venture to add that few 350’s have been driven as hard as this one. It used oil, within Ford’s guidelines, but most importantly the engine didn’t self-destruct. I say this proves the 5.2 FPC generally is not a ticking time bomb.

scoarm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda S2000,2016 GT350 Tech (gone), 2017 GT350
Is it me or the the rear springs are sagging like crazy.
My guess is that it is wide-angle lens distortion.You see the same effect on the vertical building lines.

Bladex10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra
Thats probably the most positive/best review i've seen for the GT350 in a while

Sponsored

OP
OP
Mspeedster

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
Thats probably the most positive/best review i've seen for the GT350 in a while
I don't think I ever seen a less than positive review from a professional media outlet. I feel the C&D long term wrap up was quite balanced, highlighting the pros & cons. I believe for most GT350 owners, the pros greatly outweigh the cons.

chedder

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2017 Raptor SC, 2016 custom crew cab
I take exception to their comments about having to fill up every 300 miles. My bladder needs a break by that time anyway. Awesome car.

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
I have the magazine (it's cheap to get it by mail).

1) I am not sure what they meant about the damage from a tank-slapping ride into the loose gravel? I try to stay on the pavement as this is clearly driver error.

2) They say the spectacular handling is attributable to its aggressive wheel alignment. So, it is running a lot of negative camber and little toe-in in stock form? Yet, they replace only rear tires at 20K miles and wait until 23K miles for the front tires? This seems like good tire usage to me?

3) I don't understand why one loose lug nut could possibly cause damage to an entire shifter assembly, a failure of a rear wheel bearing, and the half-shaft, They say that they swapped rear wheels to fix it, but that seems to be a hope and a prayer to me.

4) I also disagree that their $60K car will depreciate to $21K in five years? I suspect it will be closer to $30K+.

I scanned and cropped the article. Here is the last page with the summary:
Vodoo3.jpg

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
It was not a loose lug nut. It was the large nut on the spindle or axel arm that holds the wheel bearing bearing in. Least that’s what I think they mean.

OP
OP
Mspeedster

Mspeedster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Deep Impact Blue Track Pak
I have the magazine (it's cheap to get it by mail).

1) I am not sure what they meant about the damage from a tank-slapping ride into the loose gravel? I try to stay on the pavement as this is clearly driver error.

2) They say the spectacular handling is attributable to its aggressive wheel alignment. So, it is running a lot of negative camber and little toe-in in stock form? Yet, they replace only rear tires at 20K miles and wait until 23K miles for the front tires? This seems like good tire usage to me?

3) I don't understand why one loose lug nut could possibly cause damage to an entire shifter assembly, a failure of a rear wheel bearing, and the half-shaft, They say that they swapped rear wheels to fix it, but that seems to be a hope and a prayer to me.

4) I also disagree that their $60K car will depreciate to $21K in five years? I suspect it will be closer to $30K+.

I scanned and cropped the article. Here is the last page with the summary:
Vodoo3.jpg
3) It was two separate issues. The vibration from the shifter was one issue, solved by the replacement of the entire shifter assembly and bezel. (But there's also Auto Fanatic's youtube fix that is far easier to resolve this one.) The second issue was the clicking sound from the left rear wheel. Which the dealer thought was caused by a bad wheel bearing or axle nut that wasn't torqued correctly. But yet the sound remained, until the rear wheels were swapped. So I suspect that perhaps it was left rear wheel lugs that weren't torqued tight enough.

4) That kind of depreciation probably only applies to the C&D test car, which they beat the snot out of. LOL. :cwl:

Sponsored

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
It was not a loose lug nut. It was the large nut on the spindle or axle arm that holds the wheel bearing bearing in. Least that’s what I think they mean.
That does make sense, and I've never seen the assembly (anyone have a picture or service manual picture?). I'd say that those four nuts that join the half-shafts to the rear spindle should torqued properly? It would be behind the rear rotor so you must remove it first.

I'd think the vibration started long before they started looking for the cause? Do you think switching the rear wheels cured this issue?

They ran the 2017 GT350 car hard to get 40K miles on it in 16 months.

DCShelby

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lighting Blue and 2017 Ducati 1299S
My CTSVs were bad about clicking if some dirt or grunge got between the wheel and rotor hub and if you did not torque them to factory specs. If they simply took the wheel off, cleaned it’s hub surface and the surface of the rotor hub, then used the right torwue on the lug nuts, it probably would have quit clicking

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
I thought it was a great article and a testament to the FPC engine holding up to serious abuse.

CAL Captain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt Mustang

95CobraR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350 K1868
Vehicle Showcase
My car is still on order.

I am not scared about the almost one quart of oil consumed every 1200 miles. I am also not concerned about the higher than normal depreciation.

Here is the third page:
Vodoo2.jpg
Sponsored