Sponsored

Car and Driver Compares the 1LE to the PP2

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
But it turned faster... hence the faster lap time...while on a smaller NON-FACTORY EQUIPPED tire
Fixed that for you. And the Mustang would be faster if you put race slicks on it. The C&D test is comparing the cars as they come from the factory. You are picking and choosing a test where they modified the Camaro in order to find a test where the Camaro came out ahead.
Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
I'm sure as they come from the factory, they are evenly matched for a hot lap.

Of course the PP2 will win the race back to the paddock... after it overheats on the 2nd lap. Better bring that lawn chair.

OP
OP
Arthonon

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They're both good performance cars, and again, I think it's clear that the 1LE is better suited for track use - generally better handling feel, better cooling, PDR, etc., but when they are close enough that we can argue that changing tires to match gives one an advantage, it will often be other things that determine which someone prefers. Get what you like and enjoy.

It'll never happen, but I think it would be interesting if Ford released a performance version that combined the GT350 chassis/suspension/cooling config with a Coyote motor (and maybe even keep the MT82), like maybe the Bullitt motor, and see how that performs.

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra

Same tire comp, just smaller on the Camaro. 1:12.77 Mustang vs 1:11.5 Camaro. OOF. That's the way it is.
Honestly, after watching earlier videos of these guys, I don’t put it past them to short shift. They both favor the Camaro period.

Let me know when an actual, objective comparison is done by competent drivers.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Honestly, after watching earlier videos of these guys, I don’t put it past them to short shift. They both favor the Camaro period.

Let me know when an actual, objective comparison is done by competent drivers.
The guy in the group who races on the weekend acknowledged the Camaro was faster but said he preferred the Mustang.

So because he prefers the Camaro, he's short shifting the Mustang, and is saying he prefers the Mustang, because he ACTUALLY prefers the Camaro?

Wew lad.

Sponsored

Laststandard

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Vehicle Showcase
Fixed that for you. And the Mustang would be faster if you put race slicks on it. The C&D test is comparing the cars as they come from the factory. You are picking and choosing a test where they modified the Camaro in order to find a test where the Camaro came out ahead.
It likely would have come out ahead or at least even on the factory tire. A few folks on the Cramro forum have run SC2's on their 1LE and reported no or very little change in lap times. The stock Goodyear is a very good tire.

It'll never happen, but I think it would be interesting if Ford released a performance version that combined the GT350 chassis/suspension/cooling config with a Coyote motor (and maybe even keep the MT82), like maybe the Bullitt motor, and see how that performs.
Swap the MT82 for a Tremec and that would get on my list for a 1LE replacement, if it stayed in the same 40-45k range as the 1SS 1LE.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
No comparison is good enough for Team “x” unless it’s the one that supports Team “x”, than nothing can fudge that comparison - any and all arguments against it are no longer valid; any and all arguments for it are the only ones valid.

:party:

DekiDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
No comparison is good enough for Team “x” unless it’s the one that supports Team “x”, than nothing can fudge that comparison - any and all arguments against it are no longer valid; any and all arguments for it are the only ones valid.

:party:
What's really funny is that's how the consensus is over here and over on C6G. What's even funnier, before I got my GT I didn't read a single review that picked the mustang, but after driving both cars, I ended up getting the GT. Even though i had a grand sport on order with the Chevy dealer.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It likely would have come out ahead or at least even on the factory tire. A few folks on the Cramro forum have run SC2's on their 1LE and reported no or very little change in lap times. The stock Goodyear is a very good tire.

Swap the MT82 for a Tremec and that would get on my list for a 1LE replacement, if it stayed in the same 40-45k range as the 1SS 1LE.
Since the topic of this thread is the Car and Driver comparison where the GT won in EVERY handling metric, will you admit that the Car and Driver tests show that the Mustang GT PP2 is a better handling car than the Camaro SS 1LE?

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
Since the topic of this thread is the Car and Driver comparison where the GT won in EVERY handling metric, will you admit that the Car and Driver tests show that the Mustang GT PP2 is a better handling car than the Camaro SS 1LE?
Sure, is the GT350 an inferior handling car to the GTPP2 since the GTPP2 numbers were superior to the GT350 in Car and Driver tests?

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Sure, is the GT350 an inferior handling car to the GTPP2 since the GTPP2 numbers were superior to the GT350 in Car and Driver tests?
The short answer is yes it's possible with the older GT350s. Not sure if they were tested together like these two cars were. Were they?

The early GT350 cars with the Pilot Super Sport tires aren't going to stick like the newer cars with the Cup 2s. The newer GT350s have other revisions in addition to the Cup 2s as well.

So if you are talking about the 2019 versions, I doubt that the PP2 will put up better numbers.

But, if you get back on topic - the other Camaro guys are saying that the factory Camaro tires are awesome, so it's not the tires that are doing it. Or is it?

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Except the article gives a better handling score to the Camaro

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
But, if you get back on topic - the other Camaro guys are saying that the factory Camaro tires are awesome, so it's not the tires that are doing it. Or is it?
The Supercar G3 are really good on both street and track. Best double duty tire I've tried. Price is reasonable too.

I'd give the nod to SC2 for track only though.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Except the article gives a better handling score to the Camaro
The Mustang did better in every handling test. By the numbers, the Mustang out handles the Camaro.

The Supercar G3 are really good on both street and track. Best double duty tire I've tried. Price is reasonable too.

I'd give the nod to SC2 for track only though.
So the "track battle" vid posted by Cosmo should really be ignored because they upgraded the Camaro's tires. In the real world, stock versus stock, the Mustang GT PP2 is going to out handle the Camaro SS 1LE.

Ford continues to improve the Mustang, but has Chevy done anything to improve the 1LE? That's probably the issue. The 1LE was pretty good when it came out a few years ago, but now it's dated.

SlaughterOfTheSoul

Actual Engineer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang gt pp1
I hate these threads; the camaro and mustang are both excessively awesome platforms. That mustang is laying down the handling and is a great platform for mods. If you want everything out of the box, the camaro is the way to go. This isn't hard nor worth arguing over.

However, this time last year all the shit talk was about how the alpha chassis is simply superior and no mods would make up the difference. The camaro guys are locked in a closet with their own farts.
Sponsored