Sponsored

Car and Driver 2020 GT500 First Test - 11.4 @ 132 quarter mile

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
People get very caught up in ET numbers, but forget that the launch is a huge part of that. It’s a huge reason why PDK Porches measure as so much faster than their manual counterparts, even though everything else is the same. Obviously for drag racing, you care about that, and about track prep, air, etc. For the street, look at the trap speed to get an idea of how the car feels. The GT500 is consistently in the 133 range, which is damn fast.

I always find it interesting when a top fuel car blows the run, pulls the chute early, and finishes with a seven second pass at 80 MPH. Really shows how important those early sections are for a good time.

Would be nice if the magazines would release the full set of times, whether they are from a vbox, drag strip, or whatever.

-T

Sponsored

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
The trap speed tells the tale. Its fun to watch idiots fumble for a car and driver win. From those numbers. Well you may beat me at an actual drag strip. where adults race. But if I ever catch your ass, on dirty concrete. Ill destroy you to 60mph.:giggle:
I really don't see a reason for this post. I don't how it has any relevance to the thread of the C&D review where they are slower than some owners. What's with the challenge?

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I really don't see a reason for this post. I don't how it has any relevance to the thread of the C&D review where they are slower than some owners. What's with the challenge?
Its a shot a blaqwhole over on C6. Now cheer up little guy. It has nothing to do with you. Or anyone over here.

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
when you struggle to get traction with 500HP in this car, wouldn't you think 250 more would be worse? Not enough weight on the drive wheels...hell car and driver would have been better off throwing 500 lbs in the trunk. The cyber truck pulling a bass boat will beat this to 60. Shit, good money making video if someone puts that up.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
when you struggle to get traction with 500HP in this car, wouldn't you think 250 more would be worse? Not enough weight on the drive wheels...hell car and driver would have been better off throwing 500 lbs in the trunk. The cyber truck pulling a bass boat will beat this to 60. Shit, good money making video if someone puts that up.
I know. It doesn't seem right??
The magazine runs it at 11.4 @132, but others have gone quicker than the 11.4 ET. So, which is it? Serious question here.

roygriffin2020

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Red reincarnated
Its a shot a blaqwhole over on C6. Now cheer up little guy. It has nothing to do with you. Or anyone over here.
How do you know how short my temper is

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I know. It doesn't seem right??
The magazine runs it at 11.4 @132, but others have gone quicker than the 11.4 ET. So, which is it? Serious question here.
Its both. On a prepped track. In moderste DA. Its 10.6. On a unprepped concrete stretch. Its 11.4. So depending on if you're an adult racing at a drag strip. Or a kid trying to race everyone at a red light. Will determine which number should matter to you.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Its both. On a prepped track. In moderste DA. Its 10.6. On a unprepped concrete stretch. Its 11.4. So depending on if you're an adult racing at a drag strip. Or a kid trying to race everyone at a red light. Will determine which number should matter to you.
Wow, I didn't think a prepped track would make that much of a difference. That's a huge difference!
Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
The more power you have, the more the surface prep (and tires) matter since you become traction limited for a longer period.

A Nissan Versa won’t see much difference between a prepped surface and a normal street, because it make little power and is power limited in almost all scenarios.

A rear or mid engine car with lots of weight over the rear will also have an easier time putting power down. So cars like 911s, the C8 vette, etc should have less of a variation depending on surface since they can use their full power more often.

A high power, front engine car will be significantly affected by available grip levels, and will therefore see greater improvements with surface prep, drag radials, etc.

The GT500 running in the 10s with street tires is very impressive. Will be interesting to see what happens if people can launch at higher RPMs with stickier tires, and how the drivetrain hold up under that abuse.

-T
Sponsored