Sponsored

Car and Driver 2020 GT500 First Test - 11.4 @ 132 quarter mile

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Let's stop acting like running the car at Texas Motorplex during a private track rental is somehow 'cheating'.
It's December. Wait until Spring time and see what a GT500 clicks off at places that actually have ridiculous DA and decent track prep - like ATCO.

Me personally I want to see the GT500 axle shafts up close and personal. If the weak link REALLY is the transmission - that means they did some serious beefing to the axles.

With that MPH and ET on street tires - I don't see a GT500 having much trouble running a few tenths faster with sticky tires on a decent track and air.
Sponsored

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
Nope

Released Awaiting Shipment
CFTP with Stripes = 2
CFTP no Stripes = 7

Received Awaiting Shipment
CFTP with Stripes = 1
CFTP no Stripes = 1

Shipped by Rail
CFTP no Stripes = 1
The one that has been shipped is probably car vin #1 which went for a million dollars it was a cftp. It went to owner of barret Jackson. I'm just throwing a guess here

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
Let's stop acting like running the car at Texas Motorplex during a private track rental is somehow 'cheating'.
It's December. Wait until Spring time and see what a GT500 clicks off at places that actually have ridiculous DA and decent track prep - like ATCO.

Me personally I want to see the GT500 axle shafts up close and personal. If the weak link REALLY is the transmission - that means they did some serious beefing to the axles.

With that MPH and ET on street tires - I don't see a GT500 having much trouble running a few tenths faster with sticky tires on a decent track and air.
From what I've read Ford performance put seriously beefy half shafts they will not be a weak point on this car

TexxasGT350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2018 Rator, 2020 GT500
The one that has been shipped is probably car vin #1 which went for a million dollars it was a cftp. It went to owner of barret Jackson. I'm just throwing a guess here
No, those posted are customer ordered cars. Not pre-production and not Craig Jackson's car.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Dont quote me on it
Heath: I imagine like you, I've been reading everything I can find. But, it was my understanding that Ford rented a heated warehouse for the delayed cars and it's a good thing because it's WAY below 40 in Flat Rock at the moment.

As for the startup in 2020, Earl tells me they go back right after 02JAN and I would guess that anything ready to be shipped will start leaving then. At least I hope that's the case and FP did tell my dealer that delivery would be mid-January.

Sponsored

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
so watch this link. This was during the Arizona test drives.on the highway with no prep nothing

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Those times were run in perfect weather conditions on a private track rental

10.30ET on stock tires is a lot to ask for summer weather (when most tracks.are open) and average track prep.I would think 11.30ET will be the norm for most 2020 ShelbyGt500 owners at their local tracks.
I mean, there were plenty of people running faster than 11.3s in Vegas. The DA was over 4k' that day and there was a headwind.

Are most tracks over 4k' for DA?

Just to be clear the weather conditions were mineshaft conditions with a private track rental.
Wasn't that a positive DA he ran in? What about those -1500' DAs in the NE, do we call those "extra" mineshaft?

When Evan ran the 10.61 the DA was 975, FWIW.

This is every bit a 10 second car in normal DAs.

Heathv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Heath
Vehicle(s)
1989 mustang gt
Heath: I imagine like you, I've been reading everything I can find. But, it was my understanding that Ford rented a heated warehouse for the delayed cars and it's a good thing because it's WAY below 40 in Flat Rock at the moment.

As for the startup in 2020, Earl tells me they go back right after 02JAN and I would guess that anything ready to be shipped will start leaving then. At least I hope that's the case and FP did tell my dealer that delivery would be mid-January.
I've read every shred of everything lol. That's awesome I cant wait to see more people get them and see what they can really do!

Droopy1592

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Damien
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Damn. 3.3 sec 0-60 front engine rear drive 4000lbs is moving

Sponsored

obspsd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keller
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Auto Ruby Red
I mean, there were plenty of people running faster than 11.3s in Vegas. The DA was over 4k' that day and there was a headwind.

Are most tracks over 4k' for DA?

Wasn't that a positive DA he ran in? What about those -1500' DAs in the NE, do we call those "extra" mineshaft?

When Evan ran the 10.61 the DA was 975, FWIW.

This is every bit a 10 second car in normal DAs.
Most tracks are way under 4,000 da.
I believe around -1000 da and better is considered mineshaft (very good weather)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
On a racetrack: Cup 2 >>>> PS4S
On a drag strip, PS4S > Cup 2

The 4S needs a lot less heat to generate its grip in comparison. The CFTP aero certainly added some drag.

I'd be shocked if this car doesn't run low 10s on a 17" DR (rear brakes replaced with base GT).

Aliaszero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT PP1
On a racetrack: Cup 2 >>>> PS4S
On a drag strip, PS4S > Cup 2

The 4S needs a lot less heat to generate its grip in comparison. The CFTP aero certainly added some drag.

I'd be shocked if this car doesn't run low 10s on a 17" DR (rear brakes replaced with base GT).
17 inch wheels may not fit over the enormous brakes on this thing. Im thinking 18 will be the smallest wheel to fit.

GattmanLA

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Shelby GT500 (SOLD)
Not quite a full write-up, but :

• We've just tested a 2020 Ford Mustang Shelby GT500 on a test track, and it shot to 60 mph in 3.6 seconds on its way to a 11.4-second quarter-mile at 132 mph.
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30173251/ford-mustang-shelby-gt500-acceleration-testing/

I love this car - in that color!
Complete novices and media who'd never dragged before were logging quicker times than this at the GT500 Track Tour at Las Vegas Speedway! Sure, the wing may slow the car down a little at the higher speeds over 100mph, but certainly shouldn't affect the 0-60, especially with the carbon wheels and overall lighter weight. In fact, the track pack version should be much quicker to 60 (than the base model) for many reasons.

93_SVT_3503

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeremy
Vehicle(s)
2013 King Ranch Expedition, 1967 Ford Bronco half-cab, 1993 Mustang Cobra, 1967 F250 Highboy
Who's the guy swinging the giant wiffle ball bat full of knowledge around that's been known here for months... :lipssealed::crazy:

fng.jpg
Sponsored