Car and Driver 2018 Mustang GT instrument test

Discussion in 'Mustang S550 General Forums' started by 02gtnh, Dec 26, 2017.

1. NoVaGT

NoVaGT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT Performance Pack
    0   0   0
    I get a laugh whenever I drive someone else's car, and it's clear they don't know how to properly set their side-view mirrors.

You don't want to see the sides of your car, you must see your blind-spot area.

BmacIL likes this.
  2. A7X

A7X Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
    0   0   0
    I LOVED the Camaro 2SS when I tested it. Dealbreakers were visibility and rear seat room.

I've used the Mustang rear seats many times. Can't do that in the Camaro. And the trunk space in the Camaro? Forget it

The Mustang GT IMO is a far more livable package with PLENTY of power and surprising highway fuel economy.

5ABI VT, SpeedLu and BmacIL like this.
  3. nastang87xx

nastang87xx Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 GT350 Track Pack
    0   0   0
    I would certainly hope a full tank. Because if not that's a scary place to be in.

4. BmacIL

BmacIL Enginerd

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
    Rating:
    100%
    3   0   0
    Exactly. Final check on the road/highway so that when you are passing you can see the car transition from your periphory to side mirror and then to rear view mirror seamlessly. Both sides. Very few people seem to know how to set mirrors.

5. MustangFan27

MustangFan27 Member

First Name:
    Fred
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT Black PP
    0   0   0
    My question is: How did Ford imagine this dream where the new Mustang GT is faster in a straight line than a 911, but slower than a Camaro? Who is really telling the truth here?

Don't get me wrong, I like C&D, but I will admit they are sometimes biased.

6. MSMStannyl

MSMStannyl Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
    0   0   0
    I posted this in another thread a while ago but it seems appropriate here... SAE Mirror method.jpg

7. ALUSA

ALUSA Well-Known Member

First Name:
    AL
    Vehicle(s):
    2015 Mustang GTPP, 2017 Cadillac CTS 2.0T AWD
    0   0   0
    Well they followed what GM did with camaro by releasing numbers but faster than a 911 100% of the time back to back might be a litle bit stretch. We also haven’t seen a comparison for a gtpp with 10 speed. Ford’s claim was a gtpp car with 10 speed auto, using drag mode, the car does 0-60 mph less than 4 seconds and faster than a 911. We need the magazines to test the claimed car.

8. 15GTBEN

15GTBEN Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Camaro 2SS M6
    0   0   0
    #48 15GTBEN, Dec 27, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2017
    Okay, I'll elaborate a bit more. Before changing lanes I always use my mirrors(which are adjusted out to cover blind spots) and look over my shoulder. Been driving performance cars since 92' and never had an accident. I used to drive commercial trucks as well which rely entirely on mirrors...
    I always hear mustang guys complaining about the visibility, just saying, for me it hasn't been an issue.

The back seats in the s550 are also horrible and not much better than the camaro's. The s197's back seats were actually quite usable.
    The camaro trunk is also quite spacious, it's the opening that's a bit small.

I actually have been averaging better fuel economy in the camaro than I did in any of my gt's. With same driving habits and commute I average 21-22 in the SS, the stangs averaged around 19 for me.

9. HeavyMetalMonk

HeavyMetalMonk Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Oxford White 2018 GT Premium PP/MR
    0   0   0
    Also magnaride.

10. Chameleon

Chameleon Well-Known Member
    Gold Sponsor

Vehicle(s):
    03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
    Rating:
    100%
    20   0   0
    Read more. It's not only Mustang owners. :doh: Car&Driver:

"Nevertheless, here’s what you must know: The Camaro has a narrow greenhouse, unknowable corners, near-zero rear visibility, and, yes, back seats that are less usable than a Mustang’s. These facts were not lost on our logbook scribes. “It’s hard to imagine that Chevy could have made it less practical if it tried,” reads one entry. The words “gun slit,” “periscope,” and “cave” appear so many times in our notes that we have forever banished them from the C/D lexicon."

SpeedLu likes this.
  11. 15GTBEN

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Camaro 2SS M6
    0   0   0
    Hey I'm not denying the camaro has worse visibility, but again it just hasn't been an issue for me personally. The “gun slit,” “periscope,” and “cave” are all real attributes that I'm okay with but can understand it isn't for everyone.
    My 9 and 5 year old's are the only one's that ride in my back seats and they cant tell a difference between the mustang or camaro back seat space. Adults could sit relatively comfortable in mt 2012 and 2014 gt's however :shrug:

Neither the stang or camaro are perfect and each have their positives and negatives.

12. Nomadic

Nomadic King of Europe

Vehicle(s):
    Current: '15 VW Golf TDI dsg, Previous: '15 GT PP Whippled.
    0   0   0
    I've also driven all 3. Mustang GT (not 2018), Scat pack and Camaro SS. ALL 3 are GREAT and have their pros/cons.
    The SS power seemed a little more potent than the PP Mustang I drove.

If comparing 2018s, the Camaro 1SS has to be probably the best deal IMO.
    All depends on personal preference really and how much you want to spend.
    I personally think the Camaro SS is a tougher looking car than the Mustang. But I think they all look good.
    I ended up with a '15 GT b/c the price was right especially with the mods it came with. But I'd be very happy with any of the 3.

15GTBEN likes this.
  13. 15GTBEN

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Camaro 2SS M6
    0   0   0
    Or find a certified 17' 2SS with magetic ride and 1100 miles for $34k like I did for the bang/buck factor. I wasn't willing to mod my base 15'GT so was a no-brainier for me.

I think you made the right choice with the 15' GT going the F/I route.:headbang:

14. Rock&Roll

Rock&Roll Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2016 Black GT Premium 6 Speed
    0   0   0

:headbonk: was out driving today and all i could think was this car is so hard to keep under the speed limit Imagine if it was .1 or .2 faster like OMG and Totally :lol:

SpeedLu, cgreen5150 and Czs550 like this.
  15. Nomadic

Nomadic King of Europe

Vehicle(s):
    Current: '15 VW Golf TDI dsg, Previous: '15 GT PP Whippled.
    0   0   0
    That's a sick deal on the 2SS. You would never get that price here in SoCal. It would be 2-3K more and would sell quickly.

I was waiting for heavier GM discounts on the 1SS but found my '15 already boosted, lowered, exhaust. No regrets.

15GTBEN likes this.
  16. Lorne34

Lorne34 Project Hidalgo

First Name:
    Lorne
    Vehicle(s):
    2017 GT Convertible California Special
    0   0   0
    I agree, I have BLIS on my premium and it is super convenient, but it's only a REINFORCEMENT for what I see when I look in my blind spot...Driver's ED 101
    :headbang::)

cgreen5150, 113 and 15GTBEN like this.
  17. traxiii

traxiii Mustang is my middle name

First Name:
    Bill
    Vehicle(s):
    2001 F150 Trophy Truck
    0   0   0
    I've been doing this since I heard about it on the radio. It makes blind spots smaller, but people freak out when they can't see their own car in the side mirror.

To adjust your mirrors correctly, tilt your head against the drivers side window, and adjust that side mirror so you can just see the side of your car. Then lean towards the passenger's seat and do the same, adjusting the right side mirror so you can just see the side of your car. Your mirrors are no adjusted correctly.

If you really need to see something right next to your car you can lean and see it, but when driving in your normal position you can see cars in your side mirrors until you see them in your side vision. Hence no real blind spot. It's kind of cool because you can follow cars from your rear view mirror to your side mirror and back again without loosing sight of them.

Madtel4 and 113 like this.
  18. 15GTBEN

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Camaro 2SS M6
    0   0   0
    Yup it works. I learned it all the way back in drivers-ed and have been doing it ever since. I adjust the mirrors like that in my wife's car and she hates it saying it feels scary..:crazy:

traxiii likes this.
  19. nrc

nrc Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 Mustang EB PP
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I don't like not seeing at least part of my car in the mirror as a point of reference. I adjust them as noted and then pull them back until I see at least of a bit of my car. I check it against objects at stoplights. By the time a car moves forward enough to not be in my mirror they're far enough that I can see them in my peripheral vision when I check the mirror.

20. activeGT

activeGT Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2018 GT Premium PP1 and a 2017 Super Duty F250 Lariat 4x4
    0   0   0
    Yeah, I like looking out my rear 'gun-slit' at the ugly nose on the Mustangs...:headbonk: