Sponsored

Car and Driver 20 Greatest of All Time (spoiler)

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
was the FGT on that list?
Nice to own one of the greatest of all time. It's not the most exotic looking car, not the rarest (except base models). What is magical about the car is that it makes many senses happy all at once.
Think the new GT500 will make the cut in 3 or 4 years? I don't think so.
Nope, zero Ford GTs are on the list. I think that it's appropriate to leave off the newer model Ford GTs with the cheap American sledge hammer power trains and I'm not sure if Ford really sold very many of the original GT40. I couldn't really say how the GT40 measures up to an F40, for example. I think an argument could be made for a Ford GT over the 308 GTB that was on the list or the 360 Modeno, but those Ferraris are extremely iconic cars in my opinion. I would say that the original GT40 is iconic in racing, but not so much as a road car.
Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Nope, zero Ford GTs are on the list. I think that it's appropriate to leave off the newer model Ford GTs with the cheap American sledge hammer power trains and I'm not sure if Ford really sold very many of the original GT40. I couldn't really say how the GT40 measures up to an F40, for example. I think an argument could be made for a Ford GT over the 308 GTB that was on the list or the 360 Modeno, but those Ferraris are extremely iconic cars in my opinion. I would say that the original GT40 is iconic in racing, but not so much as a road car.
I believe you're right. 2005 GT wasn't that great of a driver I hear but, looks alone I'd probably put it on the list hahah, but yeah, that's not what the article was for.
I love the 350 ill be keeping my base R until I drop dead. it may keep depreciating, but I dont care. This is really the only car i'd ever need, going forward as it checks all the boxes, but the C8 z06 may open the wallet one last time.

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
I know some people don't like the EcoBoost V6 but the 2nd gen Ford GT is such a more advance car than the 05-06. If one were to be on this list, I would vote for the new one. The 308 is a pretty iconic car too. When you think 80s Ferrari you definitely think of that car. I would put the F355 before the 360 as well.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I know some people don't like the EcoBoost V6 but the 2nd gen Ford GT is such a more advance car than the 05-06. If one were to be on this list, I would vote for the new one. The 308 is a pretty iconic car too. When you think 80s Ferrari you definitely think of that car. I would put the F355 before the 360 as well.
I do think the latest Ford GT is a great car but I wouldn't put it in the GOAT list. At least not yet. If you were making a GOAT list in 10-15 years and the Ford GT holds up to the test of time, then I could maybe see that happening. The 2005 Ford GT I also think is really good, but it doesn't quite match up to some other mid-engine cars on the list in my opinion. Awesome, but just maybe 1/2 step down from the top. I personally would probably put the 2005 model above the new one in my ranking. Although there are some serious downsides to the 2005 GT, like the doors that make it impossible to park like a normal road car.

There are just so many amazing cars that have been built, for example the Ferrari 812 Superfast is a luxurious car with arguably one of the greatest F-yeah engines ever built, but it isn't on the list. I would pick a 812 WAAAAAY before any Ford GT for a list like this. Especially a TT V6 Ford GT. The V6 engine is really exceptional in a functional way, but the Ford GT isn't a Toyota Camry and having a function over form engine in a supercar isn't a mark in its favor.

Winning LeMans was a higher priority for Ford over making the road car the coolest/greatest Ford ever built. And they succeeded. Great race car and really good road car. Just my opinion on it.

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
It's not just a functional engine, it's a marketing campaign for the Ecoboost. They want everyone buying the F150 to feel big and manly about their v6 turbo. Also, they won their GT class, but not overall in 2016.
I agree with your first statements. Not sure what you mean about winning overall. Did you expect the GT to beat LMP cars?

OP
OP
Hack

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That has happened a few times, but not what I'm saying. Ford likes to play up the 2016 "win" in marketing, when they are just the best swimmer in the kiddie pool. I'd love to see a Ford win LMP1. I'd also like to see a v8 version of the new GT. Neither is going to happen.
Gotcha. I get it. LMP cars are faster. For some reason I couldn't care less about them.

The GT could have been a lot faster, but they have a bunch of rules to limit performance. It's goofy that the street version makes so much more power than the "race" version. If the sanctioning body allowed it, the race version probably would have made well over 1,000 hp. That is one of those things that I really hate about modern racing and why I don't watch much of it.
Sponsored