Sponsored

Car acted up today - Wrench Icon -- Help?

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 LB GT PP 401A, Roush 727
Hi all,
I have a Roush supercharged 17 GT. I had the OPG etc replaced with billet parts. I have 8800 miles. Temp today is 30 degrees and I HAD to take it out today. Wife is using my DD while her car is in the shop.

I do not believe this is SC related, but don't really know what happened either...

I was accelerating on to interstate, gently as I have summer tires on (again, I didn't want to take it out), fifth gear rolling on from 50-ish to 70, I will also mention the car was warmed up before I left the drive way and I had already driven about 10 mins... There was a stutter and here is what I experienced:

-dash message "Drive mode not selected" -- I think this is what it said it popped up and disappeared pretty fast
-orange wrench icon
-see owner manual dash message
-oil pressure went from 80 to 60
-AFR went from 13/14 up to high teens/20
-head cyl temp was at 207
-a couple miles from home, babied here, nothing is leaking from the car. It lives a nicely cared for life in a nice garage :)

I am hoping that the stutter, AFR, etc are symptom of limp mode, which is what appears to have happened. Just need to figure out why now.

I have an ODB2 scanner on the way, but in the mean time I am looking for some glimmer of hope that this is not a critical issue.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
How long had it been sitting? Maybe bad gas?

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
about 2.5 months at this point. I am ashamed to say that this year I did forget to add sta-bil to the tank.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I wonder if it wasn't some sort of electrical/grounding fault? It sounds like multiple systems got tweaked. Hopefully it isn't anything major. It really doesn't seem like an actual engine problem from what you have described.

Sponsored

Jobodizo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB GT
Vehicle Showcase
Wrench icon is most often related to throttle body. Many threads on this warning icon.
Second this. I had something similar happen with my Edelbrock kit because of a fault extension harness. I'd check to make sure that the connection is solid at the TB.

TripleB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Snack Pack- Whipple Stage 2
had something like this happen on my whippled gt... was hesitant, sluggish, not responding to throttle. Threw the wrench light. I pulled over, turned it off and once restarting it it worked just fine. hasn't happened since

watisthis

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Pro-charged
had something like this happen on my whippled gt... was hesitant, sluggish, not responding to throttle. Threw the wrench light. I pulled over, turned it off and once restarting it it worked just fine. hasn't happened since
The same thing just happened to me on the highway. Was driving went to pass someone so I gave 1/2 throttle, went into boost (procharged); and got the wrench/said no driver mode selected. Babied it home for the next mile or two with low 12afr/low vacuum thought maybe belt had slipped. Turned it off when I got home, checked engine bay no smells, leaks or anything I could see was wrong. Turned it back on put it back into sports and gave it about 4k rmp rev and it was good. Here's to hoping it never happens again!

Guard5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rapid Red GT500 CFTP
Mine went into limp mode often with the Roush tunes (1&2). Never anything more than shutting it off and on. Generally happened during normal driving, once during ā€œspirited drivingā€. Hasnā€™t happened since the VMP tune. Just sayin...

Ruiner46

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO GT PP
My whipple car throws the wrench light sometimes if I park for a short period and then start it back up. I can immediately turn it off and back on again and the light clears. I think it does some kind of throttle body calibration right at start up.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks guys. At the very least I don't feel suicidal anymore LOL

I got my ODB2 scanner today. I walked solemnly to the garage to plug it in and see what kind of damage was done. Pushed the start button to turn on accessories and hit scan. Nothing showed up... so I said to myself ā€œself, I really donā€™t want to start the car but apparently I must have to start it to see the error...ā€. Held my breath, foot on break hit the button and awaited a metal on a metal screeching banshee noise. It never came and neither did the wrench.

So I let the car warm up and went up the interstate, no wrench. I didnā€™t think I could be that lucky so I jumped on it pretty good and no wrench. Woot!!!! Go me!

I did see an error P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p061b

Not really sure what do about this, or if maybe itā€™s there due to the SC?

Thanks for all the feed back. I love this site!

nate-roth

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nate
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
"I did see an error P061B Internal Control Module Torque Calculation Performance"

This generally a tune issue and not hard part issue if there are no obvious wiring issues as previously mentioned. Many people have fought this issue to have it resolved later by changes in tuning, the torque/load calcs may be slightly off in certain airlflow areas and there is not enough allwoable wheel torque error in the tune to allow for the miscalculation so you get the PO61B error and wrench light. However it's dangerous to just up the wheel torque allowable error in the tune because this is one of the checks and balances the pcm uses to administer torque to the driveline. When you step on the throttle you are actually telling the pcm how much torque you are expecting the coyote to put out.

Consult your tune provider after checking your connections.

OP
OP
Omega

Omega

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool thanks for the advice, I will.

Brannan73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jacob
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium
Hi all,
I have a Roush supercharged 17 GT. I had the OPG etc replaced with billet parts. I have 8800 miles. Temp today is 30 degrees and I HAD to take it out today. Wife is using my DD while her car is in the shop.

I do not believe this is SC related, but don't really know what happened either...

I was accelerating on to interstate, gently as I have summer tires on (again, I didn't want to take it out), fifth gear rolling on from 50-ish to 70, I will also mention the car was warmed up before I left the drive way and I had already driven about 10 mins... There was a stutter and here is what I experienced:

-dash message "Drive mode not selected" -- I think this is what it said it popped up and disappeared pretty fast
-orange wrench icon
-see owner manual dash message
-oil pressure went from 80 to 60
-AFR went from 13/14 up to high teens/20
-head cyl temp was at 207
-a couple miles from home, babied here, nothing is leaking from the car. It lives a nicely cared for life in a nice garage :)

I am hoping that the stutter, AFR, etc are symptom of limp mode, which is what appears to have happened. Just need to figure out why now.

I have an ODB2 scanner on the way, but in the mean time I am looking for some glimmer of hope that this is not a critical issue.

Thanks!
I had the same exact same everything happen to me just now, of what you described. It felt like when I would let off the clutch after shifting it was king my drive shaft was binding. But after I shut the car off and back on it ran fine.. did you ever have anymore issues?

SSSICK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
21 GT500, 19 Z06, 20 Bolt EV, 10 Corolla LE
My bone-stock 2021 GT500 that I purchased brand new 2 years ago threw the wrench icon about a month ago while I was driving it. Started running like sh1t so I limped it to a parking lot, shut it off for about 10 minutes, fired it back up, and it hasnā€™t skipped a beat since. Definitely had me concerned at first but Iā€™m nearing 10k miles and thatā€™s the first and only time it has happened. Iā€™m chalking it up as being a bug/glitch in the matrix. We all get sick every now and then - seems like my šŸ caught something and thankfully was able to shake it off šŸ˜Ž
Sponsored