Sponsored

Capless fuel fillers and 5 gallon fuel cans.

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Tempo, Ford Mustang,FFR,Crown vic.
  • Banned
Does anyone offer, make, produce, sell a replacement fuel can neck that fit these capless vehicles, I'm not a fan of the tiny funnel the oem's give you with a vehicle, and my old basic funnel doesn't go past the first door.
It be nice if there was a replacement neck for fuel cans 5 gallon ,etc that fit the cpless and wasn't the stupidly engineered "safety" neck all newer fuel cans come with, that you and your car wear more fuel than the older (claimed) "non safe" style.
Sponsored

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I have never seen a better funnel that fits the capless system that ford uses, but they may exist. You can buy a traditional spout for the modern plastic gas cans on amazon for about 15 bucks. Also to vent the can so it flows smoothly, run a wood screw into a high spot that doesn't get covered by your hand when you are using it, then you just pull the screw to vent and replace when done.

OP
OP
ICU812

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I have never seen a better funnel that fits the capless system that ford uses, but they may exist. You can buy a traditional spout for the modern plastic gas cans on amazon for about 15 bucks. Also to vent the can so it flows smoothly, run a wood screw into a high spot that doesn't get covered by your hand when you are using it, then you just pull the screw to vent and replace when done.
The ford funnel is tiny. I get allot of unleaded "race fuel" 108 octane and put it in 5 gallon fuel cans/jugs as the 30-35 gallon can is a r.p.i.t.a.
They are heavy and I'm not as young as I used to be. to lift and hold it while poring using that tiny funnel.

I Bleed Ford Blue

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2023 grabber blue metallic Mach 1
I know what you mean, it gets tiresome to stand there and wait for the can to drain as you have to go slow so you don't overflow that tiny funnel that ford gives you.

OP
OP
ICU812

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned
I know what you mean, it gets tiresome to stand there and wait for the can to drain as you have to go slow so you don't overflow that tiny funnel that ford gives you.
Even if someone made a funnel that has a larger cup, It will stay in garage, not car.

Sponsored

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Ford's capless filler neck is a solution to a problem nobody knew existed. If they invested in quality control the amount of money and effort that they're wasting on solving stupid imaginary issues nobody was aware of, this car would be much better.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much, because I happen not to fill up from fuel jugs. But if I were, I'd be looking into replacing the fancy filler neck with a normal one. I'm sure it can be done. The only problem I see is that there may not be enough space under the flap to allow a good old-fashioned locking cap to be installed.

Last edited:

raptor17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Manual 2017
Ford's capless filler neck is a solution to a problem nobody knew existed. If they invested in quality control the amount of money and effort that they're wasting on solving stupid imaginary issues nobody was aware of, this car would be much better.

Personally, it doesn't bother me that much, because I happen not to fill up from fuel jugs. But if I were, I'd be looking into replacing the fancy filler neck with a normal one. I'm sure it can be done. The only problem I see is that there may not be enough space under the flap to allow a good old-fashioned locking cap to be installed.
a simple click lock flap with a release from the cabin would be perfectly theft proof or using a fcking key for the car and a lockable cap under the flap which would also stop the whole car being stolen.

Weyland-Yutani

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT, '17 Volvo V60 Platinum, '04 E-150
Might require some experimenting, but I remember seeing some long-ish rigid spouts in Amazon's thriving "safety" spout replacement market.

I'm pretty sure I used these search terms: "gas can spout epa can eat a bag of d**ks" ....or something like that.

OP
OP
ICU812

ICU812

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
  • Banned

Ford didn't get the stereotype of . " a better idea" for nothing.
Techs know better

Sponsored

FruityJudy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
I stick the oem funnel in, then I stick my longer funnel with larger cup inside of it. Then I just take my spouts off my jugs and pour them into it. Pretty easy. I use it alot as I store E85 here at home (nearest station is 60 miles)

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
I've never used one but it seems like something like this could solve several of the problems that have been brought up.
Screenshot_20211126-083425_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I've never used one but it seems like something like this could solve several of the problems that have been brought up.
Screenshot_20211126-083425_Amazon Shopping.jpg
I have the Terapump (device seen on top of the red fuel jug) and use it for fueling lawn equipment (and draining). It works and works well. Just sink the gray siphon end into your fuel jug and the other end goes to whatever your fueling. Click the "on" and it auto pumps. If the black nozzle end going into X-tank source senses the fuel level it will also auto-shut off.

Now the black nozzle end that is to go to the receiving tank is not that long however, if you put the Ford funnel into your Mustang, then put the Terapump black nozzle into it - wa-la - pump away. No lifting any gas tanks or jugs, just leave them on the ground.

The unit is powered by 3AA batteries and it does pump pretty fast too.

The auto-sensing shut off in the nozzle is great too if you're filling lawn equipment OR draining lawn equipment fuel back to a gas tank for seasonal changes.

It can also pump fuel that is at the lowest level from a tank or equipment. I have used it to completely drain fuel generators etc. and can get it to suck nearly all the fuel out with just a film or residual fuel left in the tank.

If wanting to drain fuel from a vehicle, the grey siphon end will NOT feed through any modern day capless fuel neck, so it will not work to drain a modern day vehicle from the exterior fueling location. HOWEVER, most modern vehicles today have fuel access points under the rear seats. In an S550, pop the rear lower seat cushion out, uncap the S550 duel tank access hole(s) and wa-la - siphon away.

It's definitely worth the $$$$ to have around and beats lifting heavy fuel cans/jugs.

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vlad
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
Techs know better
This reminds me of a dialogue from The Name of the Rose between Guglielmo and Adso. I can't quote it exactly in English, because I've read it in Romanian, but in essence it goes like this: "I've never seen a philosophic concept, perfect as it may be, that actually works in real life, whereas a peasant's pruning knife, which no philosopher has ever described, works just fine".

So yeah, what seems to make sense to techs in their dreamy, idealistic world, doesn't always make sense to us, the poor buggers who have to live with their products and to use them in the real world. :)
Sponsored

Last edited: