Sponsored

Can't get the cover for the key hole off of the door handle

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
So I recently did something stupid (though I'm going to put some of the blame on my detail guy) and left my lights on, fully draining my battery. Now I can't get in my car.

I tried putting the key in the hole under the cover and pulling backwards as the manual describes, but the thing won't ****ing budge. I was messing with it for like 15 minutes. I had my buddy with me, too. We're both [I thought, at least] fairly intelligent engineers, and we were completely stumped.

Is there any chance one of you could give me a better description about how to get that stupid cover off? Maybe with pictures and/or video? I know that's kind of a lot to ask, but this is a pretty stressful situation at this point. Any help appreciated.

If I can't figure this out, I really hope my dealer will send someone over to help me out. They made god knows how much off of my brand new $40K purchase, and I live like 10 mins away. So I wouldn't think it would be asking too much.
Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
2018 Challenger Scat Pack
OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
there's a vid in this thread. i followed as directed in the vid and i had no issues trying it for the first time the other day.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20168
Thanks. It looked like some light flashed as he did that, though... does that require car battery power?

Because if so, goddamnit Ford... That is not very good thinking. My 9-year-old-Lexus didn't even have that problem. You'd think they'd have figured it out by now. But hopefully I'm interpreting what happened there wrong.

Ridiculous how easy that looked, though. I don't know how we didn't just accidentally pop it off at some point.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
the whole idea is for you to be able to get in w/o battery power. it's just using a small amount of pressure from the key, im guessing to push a spring loaded locking nub, so you can get the plastic cover off.

just push up with the key, then slide towards the rear of the car and it should come right off.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
the whole idea is for you to be able to get in w/o battery power. it's just using a small amount of pressure from the key, im guessing to push a spring loaded locking nub, so you can get the plastic cover off.

just push up with the key, then slide towards the rear of the car and it should come right off.
If it's just supposed to be light pressure (which I thought at first), I hope we didn't break anything with our attempts... Ended up jamming it up there pretty hard in some attempts.

I get that's the idea (the dead battery), but I was thinking maybe they were just planning for when the key fob battery dies, but didn't consider the case where the car battery dies.

Probably a stupid notion, but I"m just frustrated right now, heh. I will try this again as soon as I get home.

Either way, appreciate the help.

Sponsored

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
yeah when i tried it for the first time the other day, all i did was apply light pressure (it didn't go in much at all) and the piece just slides back.

ive heard of other struggling with this as well, which is why i tried it out so i can be prepared if i really did need to unlock the car with the keyblade.

good luck on your next attempt, update us when you can.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
yeah when i tried it for the first time the other day, all i did was apply light pressure (it didn't go in much at all) and the piece just slides back.

ive heard of other struggling with this as well, which is why i tried it out so i can be prepared if i really did need to unlock the car with the keyblade.

good luck on your next attempt, update us when you can.
Got it off! It came off pretty much instantly the next time I went down there. I guess that video and your explanation really helps... I'm still confused why what I was doing before didn't work, though, heh. I guess I was just trying to hard.

Asharus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Angelo
Vehicle(s)
great job, i hope all is well now.

pwguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
I struggled with this for days. I just wanted to be sure I could do it if needed.

Today I realized if I pulled the door handle out it gave me access to the edge of the cover. Using this method it popped right off without even pushing up with a key in the bottom hole. I must have already had it unlocked.

I have seen it pop right off in videos and have seen other people bugger everything up trying to get it off. Strange.

daytripper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13GT500,'15 GT
exposing the hole

Getting the little cover off is a bitch. I quit trying on mine because I knew it would break if I put more pressure on it. I went to the dealer and they broke it. They ordered a new one and had to send it out to be painted 3 shades off with trash in the paint.I dont know where they sent it but I could have done better with a spray can.
I havent tried to take it off myself because once was enough fun for awhile.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
So I recently did something stupid (though I'm going to put some of the blame on my detail guy) and left my lights on, fully draining my battery. Now I can't get in my car.
I thought these cars had a "battery saver feature" that will turn everything off if something is left on like the headlights. :shrug:
Sponsored