Sponsored

Can't decide: New 2019 GT 301A or used 2017 GT Prem. PP1?

Zrussian13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Acura MDX
Normally I'd say go with the manual but that a10 is no joke plus if you can deal with the possible ticks and rattles the gen 3 coyote is bad ass. I love my 19. I'd buy it all over again in a heart beat.
Sponsored

J17GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
I was in the exact same situation as you and debated for 6 months (over the winter) on what to do. I ended up buying a 2017 Premium PP just a month ago. ZERO regrets. The extra bells and whistles are awesome and the car has plenty of power. Nothing better than banging gears on a nice day! Oh, us mid-life crisis guys don't want any stinking cloth seats! :wink:

sfs550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
doug
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
I've wanted a performance car for years. Absolutely love the Mustangs. I've been shopping for one as my second car for summer driving only. I have come down to 2 different Stangs based on my budget. Financing is my only option for ownership. I am comfortable with the payments, can't afford to buy it outright. Not willing to wait any longer because I will be too damn old to enjoy my dream car. Midlife crisis? Maybe?

Mustang 1 is a velocity blue 2019 GT, 10 sp auto, 301A package w/nav.
Mustang 2 is a oxford white 2017 GT Premium PP1, manual, 10,000Km, BLIS, +Eibach lowering springs.

The difference in price after all costs including the large difference in interest charges is only $1226 more for the brand new car.

If buy the 2019 I am loosing features such as the leather heated/cooled memory seats, all PP1 features, BLIS and a few of the other finer things the Premium offers.
I would be wanting to lower the 2019 and change the rims/tires right away (the stock wheels are butt ugly). That's bumping my 2019 cost up an additional $3K higher.
The 2017 requires no upgrades. I would leave it stock. I prefer the look of the front fascia on the 2017, but prefer the rear of the 2019.

I could go either way on the color. The blue is stunning, the white is classy with the black accents. Leather is nice but not a deal breaker. The manual is fun to drive but the 10 speed is so damn quick it's hard not to want it.
If used car interest rates were lower than what Ford is offering for new cars this wouldn't be such a hard decision.

Looking for opinions. Thanks!
Well, ask yourself, "What do I want to do with this car?" Track? Drag? Comfort Cruise? I can tell you that the
2017 PP1 suspension is pretty stiff, and the 3.73 gears keeps the motor at high RPM's casuing much tirst for fuel.
. The 2019 GT has more HP/TQ than the 2017 and with 3.55 gears it would be sweet.and the cloth seats will be more comfortable
in the winter and on long cruises. The 10sp auto is a great feature and is for real. For the difference in price it is negligible,
if it was me, I would go with the 2019 with auto. If the 10sp auto was available when I bought my 2017 GT PP1 , that's what I'd
do.
2019 with new warrenty and more power..Go for it!

ihc95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10 401A
Definitely buy the new car for the warranty and peace of mind that nobody abused it. Also, a 2019 auto is just in a different league than a 2017 manual in terms of performance.

MidwayJ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jay
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
I think it depends on how much you value the transmission choice. If both cars were manuals, I would choose the '17 because of the premium options. However, of your two choices I would pick the '19 because of the A10.

Sponsored

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
Well, ask yourself, "What do I want to do with this car?" Track? Drag? Comfort Cruise? I can tell you that the
2017 PP1 suspension is pretty stiff, and the 3.73 gears keeps the motor at high RPM's casuing much tirst for fuel.
. The 2019 GT has more HP/TQ than the 2017 and with 3.55 gears it would be sweet.and the cloth seats will be more comfortable
in the winter and on long cruises. The 10sp auto is a great feature and is for real. For the difference in price it is negligible,
if it was me, I would go with the 2019 with auto. If the 10sp auto was available when I bought my 2017 GT PP1 , that's what I'd
do.
2019 with new warrenty and more power..Go for it!
I don't have plans to ever track or drag the car. It will be for occasional spirited street driving and highway drives to the beach. Winter driving is not on the table. I hear you on the cloth seats. My buddy has a newer Fusion with the leather heated/cooled seats. I tried the cooling function and it was a strange sensation. Not sure I like it that much.

Definitely buy the new car for the warranty and peace of mind that nobody abused it. Also, a 2019 auto is just in a different league than a 2017 manual in terms of performance.
The 2017 still has factory warranty remaining. But of course a "virgin" car is always nice.

Just to make this even more difficult, the dealer just got another velocity blue 2019 on the lot. This one is a PP1 301A manual with active exhaust. I'm drooling and my bank account is screaming "Don't do it!"
It was easier buying cars in the past. We had three trim levels to choose from in most cases. Now cars can be ordered with all sorts of options. Hard to pick just one.

Arthonon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm probably biased but I'd go with the '19. I have an '18 Premium and I like it, but I know someone with the cloth seats in their '18 and I find them more comfortable. I also find the cooled seats a bit odd feeling, and they don't always work that well - seems to vary from car to car.

Combine that with the newer engine, the A10 (if you're into that, but ether way it makes the cost more competitive), new car/warranty, etc., and I think the '19 is the way to go.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
This is a no brainer.
The 2019 has more horsepower and better gas mileage... more better everything. And it is newer. It can then be "upgraded", or modified to YOUR liking if you think you need to change something from stock, instead of having already bought a 2017 car with "performance parts" already on it.

Also, hard miles.. comes to mind when buying used -vs- having a new car warranty and relationship with your dealer.

Kermitz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 300A M6
Vehicle Showcase
With that difference in price I'd go with the 2019.
Also the Gen 3 and A10 are amazing.
Most likely buying a 2020 base with an A10 and making my drag car.

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
This is a no brainer.
The 2019 has more horsepower and better gas mileage... more better everything. And it is newer. It can then be "upgraded", or modified to YOUR liking if you think you need to change something from stock, instead of having already bought a 2017 car with "performance parts" already on it.

Also, hard miles.. comes to mind when buying used -vs- having a new car warranty and relationship with your dealer.
The brain is a little slow to come around to the obvious sometimes. I agree with your logic.

With that difference in price I'd go with the 2019.
Also the Gen 3 and A10 are amazing.
Most likely buying a 2020 base with an A10 and making my drag car.
I'm taking a road trip to go 2019 shopping this weekend.
Thanks to everyone who added their input here. It was invaluable in helping me decide. :fistbump:

Sponsored

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Newer = Always better.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase

cosmic charlie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Streetfighter Q850 NEED FOR GREEN, 2016 Focus RS (frozen white), 2016 Focus RS (stealth grey), 2014 Ford F150 Crewcab, 2015 Porsche Boxter GTS, 2013 Mercedez Benz ML350, 2003 Mercedes Benz C32AMG, 1989 Honda CRX Si Turbo
Is it if I give you a fully restored 1964 ? or is a 1 yo scotch better than 18 yo ?
Well, I guess that depends how you define better. In the case of a fully restored 1964. It might be worth more money than a new one but the new one will totally outperform the 1964 in every way possible. (I consider that better). Based basically on technology.
In the case of the aged scotch. There my friend. I would have to agree!

OP
OP
StangTime

StangTime

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
19' GT PP1 Manual
So... this weekend I got to test drive the base GT w/ A10 and the PP1 w/ MT82 back to back. I started with the A10. The auto was quick, fun and handled well. Then went back for the PPI taking the same test drive route. The PP1 manual was way more fun to drive and much more of a true sports car IMO. I was not expecting the rev matching feature to work as well as it did. Those downshifts! :rockon: It was a no brainer at that point.

You only live once and you can't take with you when you go. Loosened up the budget a little and left the dealership with a smile and a new car! Picking it up this weekend. It's going to be a looong week.

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase