Sponsored

Can't decide mustang or camaro

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
So for the first time in my life I am actually torn between car brands. I have been GM all the way forever, owned 8 F bodies and many other GM products over the years. This summer I am looking to pick up a new car as a daily, and I am getting rid of my toy/weekend car and daily driver and combining them in one car. That being said I am going back and forth between the Mustang and the Camaro. I know seems weird, mortal enemies blah blah. But I actually like the S550, and my current daily is a f150 and I love the coyote platform.

My plan is to buy the car, drive it stock for a year then supercharge it. The dilemma I am having is one mostly of cost. Not only cost of the car, but dollar per hp. I am seeing the camaro maxing out at about 550whp before expensive fuel upgrades need to be done. Another $1,200-$1,500 in fuel upgrades and you can hit around 600whp. 650whp I am hearing is the limit of the stock internals.

I am seeing mid to high 600’s from the mustang with nothing more than bigger injectors which all of the superchargers come with, and a boost-a-pump. They do need the oil pump gear and crank gear replaced to handle the power safely, and that cost is about $1,200 roughly the cost of the fuel upgrades on the camaro.

Whipple got my hopes up for the camaro with their 600whp and 630wtq numbers, but they reduced this to 585whp after testing and if it is anything like the edelbrock kit they claim 580 but real world is 550 or a little less same as the magnuson.

So realistically the mustang is about $4-5k less to buy the car itself. Cost roughly the same to supercharge and upgrade to handle the power. And the mustang makes more whp.

The car is going to be an auto, 2ss or gt premium, and will be a 2016 if I can still find one early this summer or a 2017 if I can’t. So no 10 speed auto for me in the mustang. The drivetrain on both cars have been proven to handle lots of power with just driveshaft and axle upgrades.

My wife currently has a 2016 camaro 2ss 6spd, so I am very familiar with that. But I still need to get more familiar with the mustang, being I bought 2 new cars from my ford dealer in 2 years they may let me do an extended test drive or something.

So that all being stated, I have a few questions left.
-Is the A8 in the camaro going to be that much better than the 6 speed in the mustang? Or is the 6 speed better for a supercharger?
-Will the increased torque from the camaro and added weight of the mustang help to outweigh the hp difference?
-Which do you feel would make the better daily driver? ( I am a pretty big guy, almost 300lbs and 6’2”)

I know this is a mustang page, so I expect some biased answers, hell as I said I am biased towards gm myself. But I am going to be posting this on a camaro page as well to see what they say. And saying do what your heart tells you to do won’t really help me any.

Sorry so long winded, thank you for reading.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Budoy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lancer
You already have a Camaro in the family. And if you wont like the mustang, trade with the wife!:p

OP
OP
cchvyd28

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Lol, she won't give up her car. Only time I get to drive it is when she is in bed lol.

5.oh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford white 5.0
I drove both before I bought the mustang and just liked the mustang better. I thought they both drove nice but didn't like the interior or lack of visibility in the camaro. I felt the interior materials were just a bit better than the camaro. The infotainment screen looked like an after thought and the sceeen angle is pretty terrible. The camaro has a pathetic trunk. For a dd that would be annoying. For visibility you can actually see out of the mustang.

For power stock for stock clearly the camaro wins due to its power to weight. Looking around at supercharger kits out of the box the mustang has a few more choices and upgrades and also makes more power. The exception I saw was pro chargers. Their kits made similar hp in both cars. The. Turbo kits the sky is the limit with either.

I think you just pick the car you like the most and go with it. You'll be able to make great power with either

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
If you're actually going to go FI, mustang is the better platform for sure. But if you're just going to stick around N/A and you're already a GM guy, just go camaro.
The coyote's respond stupid well to boost and they'll take it all day.
OPG/CG isnt a MUST HAVE for 10-12lbs, but its recommended.
I've been running around with 700+whp all year just fine on my daily driven 15 GT

Sponsored

N123456

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Gt Premium
I'm sure you have weighed this but..which one do you fit in better? I tried out both when looking for my car and ended up choosing the mustang because it fit way better for me (6'7" 220). Now it wasn't the only consideration for me obviously, but it was a concern since I DD this car. Just something to mention/think about.

Jules1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I'd wait for the 18'mustang. I have not seen the 16'camaros in person, maybe they look much better when u see them, but damn their tail lights and their rear bumper. Ugly.
GM must do the facelift asap. And its gonna be a great car.

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Go with the Mustang, Camaro is big, ugly, expensive and has horrible sight lines out the windows, seems like a no brainer to me, lol.

TC :ford:

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
Both cars can be made fast mustang has the edge in the supercharging department, but it boils down to which car do you see yourself comfortable in for 10 years or more.

AmericanLegend

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP
I too like both the 6g Camaro and 6g Mustang.

Since you're wanting to daily the car and are planning on supercharging the car...you're going to enjoy two Mustang strengths over the Camaro. I'd vote for the Mustang.

The Mustang is much easier to see out of, has a bigger rear seat and trunk. I personally think the Premium version of the Mustang has the nicer interior.

The 5.0 loves boost. Since you're supercharging...you'll make more power easier with the engine that can move air more efficiently. The 5.0 is a proven winner in this respect.

Whipple 5.0L Coyote: 825hp (+390hp)....~ 700 RWHP.

Whipple LT1: 585 RWHP.

The 2018 will have DI/Port injection combo. I wonder how the superchargers will tune with this combo?
Port injection only might be easier to tune in this regard?

Sponsored

legendary mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 mustang gt
So for the first time in my life I am actually torn between car brands. I have been GM all the way forever, owned 8 F bodies and many other GM products over the years. This summer I am looking to pick up a new car as a daily, and I am getting rid of my toy/weekend car and daily driver and combining them in one car. That being said I am going back and forth between the Mustang and the Camaro. I know seems weird, mortal enemies blah blah. But I actually like the S550, and my current daily is a f150 and I love the coyote platform.

My plan is to buy the car, drive it stock for a year then supercharge it. The dilemma I am having is one mostly of cost. Not only cost of the car, but dollar per hp. I am seeing the camaro maxing out at about 550whp before expensive fuel upgrades need to be done. Another $1,200-$1,500 in fuel upgrades and you can hit around 600whp. 650whp I am hearing is the limit of the stock internals.

I am seeing mid to high 600’s from the mustang with nothing more than bigger injectors which all of the superchargers come with, and a boost-a-pump. They do need the oil pump gear and crank gear replaced to handle the power safely, and that cost is about $1,200 roughly the cost of the fuel upgrades on the camaro.

Whipple got my hopes up for the camaro with their 600whp and 630wtq numbers, but they reduced this to 585whp after testing and if it is anything like the edelbrock kit they claim 580 but real world is 550 or a little less same as the magnuson.

So realistically the mustang is about $4-5k less to buy the car itself. Cost roughly the same to supercharge and upgrade to handle the power. And the mustang makes more whp.

The car is going to be an auto, 2ss or gt premium, and will be a 2016 if I can still find one early this summer or a 2017 if I can’t. So no 10 speed auto for me in the mustang. The drivetrain on both cars have been proven to handle lots of power with just driveshaft and axle upgrades.

My wife currently has a 2016 camaro 2ss 6spd, so I am very familiar with that. But I still need to get more familiar with the mustang, being I bought 2 new cars from my ford dealer in 2 years they may let me do an extended test drive or something.

So that all being stated, I have a few questions left.
-Is the A8 in the camaro going to be that much better than the 6 speed in the mustang? Or is the 6 speed better for a supercharger?
-Will the increased torque from the camaro and added weight of the mustang help to outweigh the hp difference?
-Which do you feel would make the better daily driver? ( I am a pretty big guy, almost 300lbs and 6’2”)

I know this is a mustang page, so I expect some biased answers, hell as I said I am biased towards gm myself. But I am going to be posting this on a camaro page as well to see what they say. And saying do what your heart tells you to do won’t really help me any.

Sorry so long winded, thank you for reading.
look at the video is gm becoming china motors.then you will see there is never a reason to buy from Garbage Motors.:lol:
:cheers::ford:

Coolmanfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt
So I looked at camaros and was less than impressed. The alpha platform they ride on is pretty incredible thanks to Cadillac but I felt that's all the camaro had going for it.

It's hard to get in and out of, you can't see a damn thing once you're inside and while the interior has some nice features it feels kind of tacky.

The engines are both great.

But then we get to looks, obviously subjective but hear me out. The other day I went to a cafe, got a cup of coffee and admired my car as if it was some piece of fine art. The lines, the sculpture. The s550 is beautiful, mean, muscle. It's a home run. When I look at the camaro I see none of that. Just a plain 2 door car with some funky ass head lights.

One of them has to get you more excited. Excitement is good.

Edit: there is also that whole 5k difference which is a lot of money and almost covers a whipple.

One last note, I'd take a scat pack challenger over a camaro. That's almost 500hp stock and plenty of room for tall guys

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
I would ask this exact same question on the Mustang and Camaro forum. That should clear everything up.

OP
OP
cchvyd28

cchvyd28

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
Thank you all for the responses. I was actually leaning towards the mustangs, it just hurts a little being a gm guy lol.