Canada dealer clearing out 2016 GT350 @ $2000 below msrp

Arctic_Ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H1465
You can switch the units between metric and standard through the Dash. You can absolutely get a Canadian vehicle serviced at any Ford dealership in North America. You might have trouble getting them imported into the US tho
Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
There are three primary things you need when importing a car into the US:

1. Pay Duty for cars manufactured outside of North America
2. Prove that the car meets EPA standards
3. Prove that the car meets DOT standards

the first is easy as the car is manufactured in North America so it falls under NAFTA, thus no Duties are due upon importing, you will only need to pay the registration/state taxes as you would with any vehicle purchase

For the second most cars that are manufactured for both markets have an EPA sticker on the car, i haven't looked on the GT350 but i'd be willing to bet its there. Since you have this you are good to go

The last is DOT compliance. in the past when i have imported a car for the DOT compliance i would get a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car meets or exceeds all DOT regulations (the car may already have this, but there is some differences between canada and the US in relation to bumpers, lights etc. Im not well versed in the differences hence its easier to just get the letter from the manufacturer).

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
There are three primary things you need when importing a car into the US:

1. Pay Duty for cars manufactured outside of North America
2. Prove that the car meets EPA standards
3. Prove that the car meets DOT standards

the first is easy as the car is manufactured in North America so it falls under NAFTA, thus no Duties are due upon importing, you will only need to pay the registration/state taxes as you would with any vehicle purchase

For the second most cars that are manufactured for both markets have an EPA sticker on the car, i haven't looked on the GT350 but i'd be willing to bet its there. Since you have this you are good to go

The last is DOT compliance. in the past when i have imported a car for the DOT compliance i would get a letter from the manufacturer stating that the car meets or exceeds all DOT regulations (the car may already have this, but there is some differences between canada and the US in relation to bumpers, lights etc. Im not well versed in the differences hence its easier to just get the letter from the manufacturer).
Plus add the $1,300 gas guzz tax (which brings you close to the U.S. MSRP price...)

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Most Canadian dealers will play ball. I posted a thread at the beginning of August with $4000 off the Gt350s.

One guy was interested but nobody else wanted one. In the end no one took one lol. SHM.

GTgamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millennium Buzard
The Speedometer is in Kph how does the actual printed letter on the speedo change? I understand that the electronic Odometer can be changed, but i was concerned with the Speedo..

Sponsored

Arctic_Ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H1465
Can't be done. You need to buy your car in the United States if you want it to say MPH

GTgamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millennium Buzard
I just tried to talk to the guys in Canada, and the scoop is they cant sell cars period to anyone in United States, So why in the heck are they advertising these cars here?

honeybadger

Just don't care
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
I just tried to talk to the guys in Canada, and the scoop is they cant sell cars period to anyone in United States, So why in the heck are they advertising these cars here?
International forum?

MCarsFan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Ok, I was busy today and didnt get a chance to respond.

I know a few folks who work in BMW Canada and I know for a fact that most car manufacturers (I'm sure Ford is no different) has higher pricing in Canada (similarly how they have higher pricing in pretty much any other country in the world) due to the market size and other market dynamics. Did you know that for example a BMW or a Porsche costs more in Germany than they do in US? US always has the cheapest pricing.

Anyways, point being, the manufacturer's cash back/hold back/invoice pricing/back pricing is very different in Canada and it's not all about US/CDN fx rate. What $2000 mean there isnt same here, and there is no simple math. When I purchased my M5 which was 120k MSRP for 100k, the same car was selling for 140-150k.

I have friends who live in Canada, for the price of an M3 there, you can buy a base M5 here. Thats just how it always has been. And the worst thing is, their base cars and option packages (at least for BMW) has far less options than US cars do. For example the base stereo in US which comes for free is a cost option in Canada on a car which already costs more. It's totally ridiculous.

I wouldnt be surprised that the GT350 has over 10% hold back. Much more room in the deal.

Sponsored

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

I know a few folks who work in BMW Canada and I know for a fact that most car manufacturers (I'm sure Ford is no different) has higher pricing in Canada (similarly how they have higher pricing in pretty much any other country in the world) due to the market size and other market dynamics. Did you know that for example a BMW or a Porsche costs more in Germany than they do in US? US always has the cheapest pricing.

Anyways, point being, the manufacturer's cash back/hold back/invoice pricing/back pricing is very different in Canada and it's not all about US/CDN fx rate. What $2000 mean there isnt same here, and there is no simple math. When I purchased my M5 which was 120k MSRP for 100k, the same car was selling for 140-150k.

I have friends who live in Canada, for the price of an M3 there, you can buy a base M5 here. Thats just how it always has been. And the worst thing is, their base cars and option packages (at least for BMW) has far less options than US cars do. For example the base stereo in US which comes for free is a cost option in Canada on a car which already costs more. It's totally ridiculous.

I wouldnt be surprised that the GT350 has over 10% hold back. Much more room in the deal.
I am Canadian but i have lived in the US for the past 7 years, i have bought new cars and used cars in both countries, one of my best friends is a sales manager at a large car dealership in Canada. I can promise you that the deals are better in the US than they are in Canada, the incentives offered both as cash discounts and financing are better in the US (this is a generalization I'm sure in certain instances you can find something better in canada but generally the US has better deals), i can also say that the dealership markup is no more in Canada than it is in the US. Dealerships in Canada are not making more money than in the US, now the manufacturer on the other hand might be a different story, i don't have any insight there. But things being more expensive in Canada is not exclusive to cars, its the same for clothes, homes, services, electronics, etc etc... assuming that because things cost more that the stores/dealerships must make more is an oversimplification of the economic model. Population overall and density is lower in Canada, the country is large, the distribution costs are much higher, cost of living, property costs, taxes are all much higher than average markets in the US. Things cost more because it costs more to operate a business inside of Canada.

The last point i would make about the deals on GT350's in Canada is that generally the Canadian market is an Import market (Japanese and German cars), The best selling car in Canada is the Honda civic vs in the US is the F150. There is not the same type of American pride that exists about Domestic vehicles. In fact i would say that the period of the late 80's to early 2000's when the big three were at their worst did a lot to erode brand value in Canada. For this reason most kids in Canada aren't growing up dreaming of mustangs but instead are dreaming of STI's, Civic SI's, Evo's, and 3 series', despite how amazing a car the GT350 is, I'm not surprised at all to hear that they are sitting on dealers lots in canada. A $70+K mustang is a tough sell up there.

Arctic_Ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H1465
You make it sound like all Canadians are a bunch of stupid kids. No wonder we get a BS stereotype, because guys like MCarsFan are going to believe the bullshit you post.

The F150 is the best selling vehicle in Canada too. Ram #2. Civic #3. You've been out of Canada too long. I've always loved Mustangs and have owned lots and have lots of friends who have them. There are more mustangs where I live than Civics. These ones are all sitting because they are all tech packs and the dealer wanted MSRP+ until now.
image.jpg

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You make it sound like all Canadians are a bunch of stupid kids. No wonder we get a BS stereotype, because guys like MCarsFan are going to believe the bullshit you post.

The F150 is the best selling vehicle in Canada too. Ram #2. Civic #3. You've been out of Canada too long. I've always loved Mustangs and have owned lots and have lots of friends who have them. There are more mustangs where I live than Civics. These ones are all sitting because they are all tech packs and the dealer wanted MSRP+ until now.
Sorry i was incorrect on the F150 but I'm not sure how i made Canadians sound like a bunch of stupid kids? I merely stated a difference in the vehicle preferences in Canada. I think you need to have another drink and calm down. Obviously there are people in Canada who love mustangs, no one is disputing that, the point is that they are not the majority.

Arctic_Ragtop

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350 H1465
I think the people driving civics and Subaru's are a bunch of stupid kids and don't want to be lumped in with them, as a Canadian, that's all. I will agree that just like mustang fans there are lots of import fans. My market is all Domestic, there isn't even an import dealer for more than 600 miles. Where I live is much different than the rest of Canada so I can't comment on the rest, maybe you're right.

GTgamo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Millennium Buzard

All i know is that i tried to contact you for help with pricing and sourcing and you posted a rant here.. If you want to put some substance behind what you preach why not help a fellow out? - I want a new 17 R they have them in Canada, want to help me? Ok.. How do i buy the bastard? I got cash and something extra to help if you need it..
Sponsored