Sponsored

Can you tell the different between 87 and 93 octane?

Torched10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 gt premium convertible. 2017 caddy xts vsport twin turbo.2011 caddy ext
Agreed! Could go for some other topics also.. A simple search would answer there question but there situation is "different"
Wild really you spend maybe 50k for a high performance car,and then worry about h
Gas money.in my old gto days it got 8 mpg.and when people would ask what mpg I got I always said if you need to ask that question you can't afford the car.

now I get 20 mpg on my 460 hp car.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Wild really you spend maybe 50k for a high performance car,and then worry about h
Gas money.in my old gto days it got 8 mpg.and when people would ask what mpg I got I always said if you need to ask that question you can't afford the car.

Yeah, but Sunoco 260 was $0.39.9 :)

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
So I was reading the manual and see the V8 can run on 87 or 93 octane. Can you easily tell the difference between the two?
For me, YES! I can even tell the difference between Bob's Gas 91 and real 91 octane, from Chevron or Shell.

At least I think I can.

Sponsored

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I never noticed a difference in power with different fuel octane. I tend to run 87, especially when the ambient temperatures are below 70 F. I've never heard a ping from the car or noticed a change in power. I'm sure there is a slight change in power output, but not enough that I notice it.

When I take the car to a track day I tend to go with high octane just because I know the car will be running hotter. But for a normal day driving on the street obeying the speed limits trying not to get arrested for doing something dumb - I don't see a reason to run high octane.

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
Pffft...just wait till you try plutonium. You've never gotten to 88mph that fast in your life.
You just need some ole banana peels to get to 88mph....

IronG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2

I'm with you Bob. If you want economy, get an EcoBoost or even better a Prius. Both will save you money.

Linkster1666

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Link
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Orange Fury PP1 A10 401A 3:55
Vehicle Showcase
Reminds me of when I took my car in to the shop, the rental lady was there selling me on how fuel efficient the rental was, then she saw the GT. I said, "that's nice".

Sponsored

Soulja4187

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT Premium & 2022 Audi A5 S-Line
Did everyone forget that these cars have a knock sensors? So with 87 you will lose some power as the timing is pulled back. I run 87 most fo the time as I drive about 400 miles a week and most of my driving is cruising, now on weekend when I want to have some fun I put in 93. Do i know notice any difference? Idk I'm not a dyno!

Dfeeds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
1997 Mustang (5.0 HO swap), 2019 Mustang GT PP1
The extra 1-2mpg you might gain in fuel economy does not compare to the +50 cents or more a gallon in cost to fill it up. The difference in hp is less than 10%. So your choice.
https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a28565486/honda-cr-v-vs-bmw-m5-ford-f-150-dodge-charger/
An article about 4 different vehicles and 4 different engines that have a markedly lower compression ratio than our dearest coyote. You can't use this article as a blanket statement. The need for higher octane varies from engine platform to engine platform. Octane is resistant to knock. That need increases as the compression and heat within the chamber increases. That's all it is. "Premium" is a misnomer but the engines that are designed to run higher octane gain plenty from it and should use it. Case in point on how much of a power bump the gen 3 gets from running e85 (100 octane) alone. Even 93 holds it back.

Higher octane is one of the best ways to make a small engine do more work with less. You either run big displacement to get a bigger oomph, run higher compression to get a better oomph, or use boost to get a forced oomph.

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Burns cleaner, less carbon deposits piston tops, valves, plugs.
Nature designed your body to run off water. Dose it get better performance form monster/ redbull/ coffee? sure it does but will drinking water mess you up and cause you to break down and feel like crap through the whole day ... NO!

Here let me fast track this thread

93 is better no 87 is just fine

There are studys that show 93 is a waste... they are lies

Ford designed the car too...they are idiots.

Are you a gas expert ? no but I can google and cut and paste to prove im right.

blah blah compression... blah blah timing blah blah top tier..oh hell here we go with top tier

its just marketing...I can feel the difference.

no really its a consortium of gas companies that just want you to buy their over priced gas... no really i can feel the difference.

General motors sucks fords best after saying ford engineers are idiots

well general motors owns the trademark for top tier... they do? yes? its marketing.. well i can feel the difference.

They can have my 93 when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

DID I miss anything? can we fast track this and not have the 400th thread on 87 vs 93

Screenshot_9.jpg
Pardon me, but Dfeeds is a hell of a lot closer at being the "gas expert" then whom I'm quoting.

On the the other hand "blah blah" seems to be the top tier of intellect, of the author.

Trying to justify, why too cheap to buy gas. But spends 10Xs the $$$ on a frigging cell phone, absolutely brilliant.

Same type person will walk up to me at a gas station. While filling the 34, that is obviously built without a care in the world about MPG.

And asks does it get good gas mileage ......... hell yes it does uses a whole tank. The look is priceless........ totally dumb founded.
Pretty sure his mommy always told him there is never a stupid question..... wrong hear em all day & every day, sometimes it's the question, in this case it's the answer.

Cheers.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Burns cleaner, less carbon deposits piston tops, valves, plugs.

Pardon me, but Dfeeds is a hell of a lot closer at being the "gas expert" then whom I'm quoting.

On the the other hand "blah blah" seems to be the top tier of intellect, of the author.

Trying to justify, why too cheap to buy gas. But spends 10Xs the $$$ on a frigging cell phone, absolutely brilliant.

Same type person will walk up to me at a gas station. While filling the 34, that is obviously built without a care in the world about MPG.

And asks does it get good gas mileage ......... hell yes it does uses a whole tank. The look is priceless........ totally dumb founded.
Pretty sure his mommy always told him there is never a stupid question..... wrong hear em all day & every day, sometimes it's the question, in this case it's the answer.

Cheers.
I disagree, there are no stupid questions.
There are, however, a LOT of inquisitive idiots...
Sponsored