Sponsored

Can you really turn off Traction Control?

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Yours may turn off, mine doesn't.
Which is weird cause mines also a '17 and believe me, I can toss it around and do all kinds of dumb shit WITHOUT the nannies (other than ABS) kicking in on a stock tune.
Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
I think it depends on the ECU and or the OS.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
. . . put the car in Sport. If you leave it in track the throttle is slower, safer, but less throttle control.
Ummmm . . . no.

Yes, the throttle is slower. But what you get in return is finer throttle resolution, which means more control. That is far more important when you're playing up around the car's ultimate cornering limits. If you've gotten accustomed to driving in 'Sport', you will have to adjust yourself to the slower but more precise throttle behavior.

Rear grip is a vector sum thing between forward traction and lateral grip demands. Where adding only a little too much forward thrust because of too-aggressive throttle mapping can push a car whose rear tires are already near their max-lateral grip right over the edge into a full-blown spin. Better to rely on your own foot speed to feed power on corner exit than on any "it feels faster" electronic trickery.

Norm

Last edited:

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
Ummmm . . . no.

Yes, the throttle is slower. But what you get in return is finer throttle resolution, which is far more important when you're playing up around the car's ultimate cornering limits.

Rear grip is a vector sum thing between forward traction and lateral grip demands. Where adding only a little too much forward thrust because of too-aggressive throttle mapping can push a car whose rear tires are already near their max-lateral grip right over the edge into a full-blown spin. Better to rely on your own foot speed to feed power on corner exit than on any "it feels faster" electronic trickery.

Norm
Finer throttle resolution in track is not my experience. To each his own, I suppose.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Finer throttle resolution in track is not my experience. To each his own, I suppose.
Take in a wet session at HPDE and I think you'll begin to see where finer throttle resolution is a really good thing. But it's still a good thing when you're approaching 99% of your rear tires' lateral capability in the dry.

Save 'Sport' for the street challenges.

Norm

Sponsored

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Hum, I was wondering what exactly pulling the plug turns off. If ABS then that’s a non-starter. Braking is way easier with good ABS.
It does not turn ABS off. I've been driving with the plug pulled since April this year (I tired to plug it back in once and immediately get "Service Advancetrac" message Nightmaremoon mentioned earlier - not only it turns everything back on but it returns car to the normal mode which is significant issue in a Magride equipped car).

I can assure you that it most certainly does not turn ABS off, at least in my car.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Build date doesn't matter. What is your OS strategy and your ECU model number? I think Ford used 16 or so different units and each can have any of the OS's.

My ECU is one that was used cross platform with the F150.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I can assure you that it most certainly does not turn ABS off, at least in my car.
I'll give that a test later today.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase

Sponsored

ChitownStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1
Vehicle Showcase
Pull the plug. You will lose ABS but I think you know how to brake.

On my car the nannies still kick in even with advance track supposedly turned off by holding the button till it says advance track off. It really isn't, much less YES but not off.
Dan, I totally agree, Even when you turn it off there's still something there holding it back. Definitely faster though. Almost every time I drive on the street, its turn off the braking assist, Sport+ mode, and turn off Advance track.
On the other hand when I had the car at the Track in track mode I did not turn off advance track and the car felt great, no nanny's that I could notice.
I hate computers!! LOL

OP
OP
WCRookie99

WCRookie99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
G
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2010 Porsche Carrera S, 2022 LH5
Ok, anyone know if the GT-350 Owners found a work around. Maybe the plug is it, just have to test it on a M1 ECU.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Ok, pulling the plug does not stop ABS, I must be getting old and not braking hard enough on the track. In my defense I did have Hoosiers on the car last time at the track.

Yank the plug.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Ok, pulling the plug does not stop ABS, I must be getting old and not braking hard enough on the track. In my defense I did have Hoosiers on the car last time at the track.

Yank the plug.
To be fair I've had FoMoCo employee claim it does turn ABS off and heard "maybe you're not braking hard enough" ;-) (I was certain I was).

One thing I've noticed is that it stops broadcasting steering angle on the CAN bus channel I've had it mapped for RaceCapture - not sure what that means and how significant it is - it may be completely insignificant - it doesn't mean that it isn't broadcasted elsewhere.
I was not able to notice any difference driving car with the plug off other than not getting dreaded "service advancetrac" message.

I've also scanned some of the modules for DTCs with the plug out and seen none. I plan on doing that again, more thoroughly using Forscan. For now I believe that plug out does not do anything detrimental to the car (other than disabling traction control and Advancetrac - which I agree is very intrusive in Track mode if you try to drive with even little bit of a slip angle).

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
So I haven't have the chance to get my new MACH on track, but i had an even weirder issue then that wiht my old PP GT 2021

track mode, advance trac off. But after about 15 minutes, advance track would turn back on without warning. Id have to slow down, and redo the process. Im interested to see if the Mach performances the same.
Check your wheel hubs for play and generally inspect your suspension and sensors. If its turning back on and you aren’t driving over potholes or gravel (which tend to cause this symptom), then something may be loose.

Seem like the car is still paying attention and if it sees what it considers to be an error, it will reboot the stability system and show a dash message. Happens once and a while to me, yery rare tho.
Sponsored