Sponsored

Can you download Waze on S550 premium audio system?

iSpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels
I have yet to even mess with an S550 radio and was just curious? I don't want to pay extra for voice activated gps if I could just use waze. Thanks guys
Sponsored

blitzburgh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 BMW M2C
I don't think you can. I just use Waze on my phone and phone in cup holder. I keep things simple. I'm sure someone will chime in with some carbon fiber phone holder and a blue tooth transmitter that will display it in the pony center cap of the steering wheel shortly.

OP
OP
iSpy

iSpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels
I don't think you can. I just use Waze on my phone and phone in cup holder. I keep things simple. I'm sure someone will chime in with some carbon fiber phone holder and a blue tooth transmitter that will display it in the pony center cap of the steering wheel shortly.
Hahahah so you can just listen to Waze through the Bluetooth?

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
Yes. Waze audio will play through the speakers via bluetooth or if you connect with USB. If you are also listening to music on your phone it will lower the music volume when giving driving directions.

OP
OP
iSpy

iSpy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Four wheels
Yes. Waze audio will play through the speakers via bluetooth or if you connect with USB. If you are also listening to music on your phone it will lower the music volume when giving driving directions.
That may be good enough. I'm not sure how good the GPS is on these cars. Anyone think it's worth the $800 option?

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Waze does not have a car-based app. That would make too much sense.

mjhousto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium DIB, 50 Years AP
That may be good enough. I'm not sure how good the GPS is on these cars. Anyone think it's worth the $800 option?
I would never shell out $800 for something I can otherwise get for free. Phone based GPS systems are easier to use than the SYNC GPS and they update automatically.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had Nav on my 2012 and chose to not get it on my 2016. I definitely don't miss it either.

Prior to the Android Auto update I had a mount for the phone and used Bluetooth audio. After the Android Auto Sync 3 update, Google Nav appears on the main display and is pretty well integrated. I'm not sure if Waze supports Android Auto yet, if it does it should appear on the car display in the Android Auto overlay like Google Nav does. Only the 2016s and newer have Sync 3, the 2015s have the older generation Sync and won't get the Android Auto update.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It's handy when you don't have cell signal. I love driving on rural highways in the middle of no where some sometimes I get lost and wanting to find my way back, uhh no cell signal.

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
I had Nav on my 2012 and chose to not get it on my 2016. I definitely don't miss it either.

Prior to the Android Auto update I had a mount for the phone and used Bluetooth audio. After the Android Auto Sync 3 update, Google Nav appears on the main display and is pretty well integrated. I'm not sure if Waze supports Android Auto yet, if it does it should appear on the car display in the Android Auto overlay like Google Nav does. Only the 2016s and newer have Sync 3, the 2015s have the older generation Sync and won't get the Android Auto update.
Waze and Android Auto are in beta test at the moment. See the following link http://www.androidcentral.com/waze-finally-coming-android-auto

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
[MENTION=21496]RNMAAS[/MENTION] you took what I was going to say haha.

In other words you should be able to get waze on your radio screen soon through the use of android auto. As of right now I believe only google maps works on there. I personally have been having mixed feelings using android auto. I think it definitely helps reduce distracted driving although sometimes it is irritating not being able to use anything outside the simplified versions of the normal apps that currently work with it. For example if you try to look up something generic like "food" using google maps on AA it will only give you like the top 15 results which in my experiences were all fast food. Then I am like well i want to see more options and just have to unplug my phone and look on it anyway. Also I haven't seen a way to replay old texts like you can with normal Sync which I also find annoying. I will say the interface is nicer than sync, even my girlfriend noticed right away and she doesn't normally care about anything to do with cars. I am sure with time the UI and UX will improve drastically since I believe they are up to google/app developers which will be doing much more frequent updating than ford ever will.

RNMAAS

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible CS
Agree completely. If you have 2016 Sync 3 and later, which includes the ability to update itself and a smart phone you are light years ahead of any updates that you get with a regular navigation system. The only advantage of a regular nav is as was previously stated if you are out of cell phone range (which is becoming less and less frequent).

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

It's handy when you don't have cell signal. I love driving on rural highways in the middle of no where some sometimes I get lost and wanting to find my way back, uhh no cell signal.
You don't need cell signal for GPS...

Google Maps has had offline maps that you can download for a few years now.

fast88fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT Premium PP
I have a 2016 with nav and I love it. it is easy to use and I like using the large screen in the car compared to my smaller cell phone screen. Plus I normally listen to sixus and it lowers the volume when giving directions. I have to admit if it wasn't already part of the car I was buying and it was a great deal...$36k for a Premium PP loaded I might not have paid extra for it but I am glad it was already part of the car.

fewt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a 2016 with nav and I love it. it is easy to use and I like using the large screen in the car compared to my smaller cell phone screen. Plus I normally listen to sixus and it lowers the volume when giving directions. I have to admit if it wasn't already part of the car I was buying and it was a great deal...$36k for a Premium PP loaded I might not have paid extra for it but I am glad it was already part of the car.
I don't know if it's true of this version of Nav but one of the reasons I personally avoided it in the '16 is that map updates were around $150 on top of the $750 or $800 for the Nav itself.
Sponsored