Sponsored

Can somebody give me the run-down (this vs that) comparison on short throw shifters?

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
There seem to be about a half dozen or so to choose from for these cars across the various manufacturers.

I've watched Youtube reviews from owners that have them, but does anybody have a synopsis about how the various short shifters compare against one another?

Do any of them give a markedly-different throw distance? What are differentiating factors are there? The positivity of the shifter going into gear?
Sponsored

Last edited:

swoop1156

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Mach HP, 22 Raptor 37PP, 22 Cayenne Turbo SE
I've only ever owned MGW shifters in my Mustangs. I've driven others, and the MGW just has a feel about it that isn't ever replicated.

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
You want to spend $600 on shifter have at it. The biggest issue with the MT-82 Stock shifter is the mounting. You can spend $100 bucks and mount it to the trans, problem solved. If you want to spend the money on short throw handle after that another $150 or so.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I did Steeda short-stalk and the bushing. Bushing is 90% of the solution and should be a MUST DO on every car. The other car I did just the bushing. I prefer the longer throw and height of the stock shifter.

Sponsored

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Steeds Tri-Ax Race Shifter for me. Love it! It comes with soft springs for the factory feel with shorter throws or stiff springs for a race inspired feel with short throws.

OP
OP

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
You want to spend $600 on shifter have at it. The biggest issue with the MT-82 Stock shifter is the mounting. You can spend $100 bucks and mount it to the trans, problem solved. If you want to spend the money on short throw handle after that another $150 or so.
Sorry to be dense, but what exactly is the shifter mounted to if not the transmission? And what changes when you mount it to the transmission?

jayhoogs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jayson
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 HP
Sorry to be dense, but what exactly is the shifter mounted to if not the transmission? And what changes when you mount it to the transmission?
Pretty sure it’s mounted to the chassis, that’s why so many have issues with the transmission and getting locked out of gears. Under load, the engine and transmission shift and move around, leading to misalignment between the trans and the shifter, since the shifter is not moving with the trans. Mounting directly to the trans means they move together and stay aligned, which leads to better shifts and not getting locked out of gears, particularly under hard acceleration.

OP
OP

oguruma

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Ford F-250
Pretty sure it’s mounted to the chassis, that’s why so many have issues with the transmission and getting locked out of gears. Under load, the engine and transmission shift and move around, leading to misalignment between the trans and the shifter, since the shifter is not moving with the trans. Mounting directly to the trans means they move together and stay aligned, which leads to better shifts and not getting locked out of gears, particularly under hard acceleration.
Ahh, I see. Since it doesn't seem like it would have resulted in a higher cost to attach the shifter to the transmission in the first place, why didnt Ford just do it that way from the factory?

Sponsored

paulm1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
pau
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT mustang
Ahh, I see. Since it doesn't seem like it would have resulted in a higher cost to attach the shifter to the transmission in the first place, why didnt Ford just do it that way from the factory?
Not only is the shifter mounted to the body, the mounting bracket rubber bushing is softer than a kitchen sponge. I installed the full tilt boogie shifter bracket that mounts the shifter directly to the trans and got a cheap short throw stick, didn't spend more than $250. Awesome upgrade for not too much money. now if your worried about NVH, just let it be, drive it like it is.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
There seem to be about a half dozen or so to choose from for these cars across the various manufacturers.

I've watched Youtube reviews from owners that have them, but does anybody have a synopsis about how the various short shifters compare against one another?

Do any of them give a markedly-different throw distance? What are differentiating factors are there? The positivity of the shifter going into gear?
One of the bigger issues with the OEM shifter is the fact that it is body mounted. So when the transmission flexes under a load causes a lot of 1-2 or 2-3 shift lock outs. Swapping to a trans mounted setup gets rid of a lot of the lockout because the shifter flexes with the transmission. Not only that but the stock shifter is very sloppy (even in gear), has a mushy feel to most and has long gear throws.

So swapping to an aftermarket shifter wont just help with the lock out but you get a shorter/ crisper shifts.

I can help out with MGW, Barton or even Steeda.

If you go MGW you have a few different options from 2 shifters, 3 handles and then 3 shift knob options; can opt. to reuse the OEM knob depending on the handle you choose. Barton doesn't have as many options for customizing but they do have the option to keep the shifter body mounted if you want. Steeda is body mounted but you can go with their upgrade bushing that will help over the weak stock bushing.

Feel free to DM me or call with any questions!
Terry "Beefcake" Reeves
- 855-827-7223 -
www.beefcakeracing.com
#beefcakeracing #teambeefcake
Sponsored