Sponsored

Can my GT do what John Wick's 69 did?

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
When John Wick took his 69 to the air field there was some impressive moves shown there. Other than going really fast in a straight line I haven't pushed my car at all. Zero burn outs, I don't take it fast around turns, and no hard braking if I can help it. But I'm curious, with what we see in the movie....can the S550 GT do that? Or did the film's 69 have some heavy mods done to it and/or some fancy camera work? I have Indy 500 Firehawks if that helps.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Lime1GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP
You probably don't even need water to do that with your car's stock specs.

SJulian10mm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangless
Most HPDE Schools will make you do some manuvers similar to these on a skid pad before they let you on the track. They want you to feel/experiance the limits of your car in terms of breaking and grip. In other words they make you force the car into understeer, oversteer and brake lockup/ABS. In my case with HOD it was on a figure 8 layout.

Sponsored

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
if you have to ask these kinds of questions, you're going to end up as another "I totaled my S550" statistic on this board as soon as you try.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
First things first; PLEASE get some driving instruction before even thinking about doing anything remotely similar to that.

But yes, our cars can do all of that fairly easily

66Bronc1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Very interesting question. I too wonder the limits of my car. I drive it very easy- as my weekend car and commuter on Fridays. No burn outs, no fast starts, just enjoy the sound of the V8 and crisp handling and being able to keep up or get ahead of traffic. I sometimes wish I got the track performance goodies and could take it to the track to really drive the car. But mine is base and I did not want to spend another 10-12K. I am very happy with mine as a driver car but good to know it can smoke the tires and with handling mods or better suspension and a good driver do some serious figure 8's!

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
.....Other than going really fast in a straight line I haven't pushed my car at all. Zero burn outs, I don't take it fast around turns, and no hard braking if I can help it........
You're really missing the enjoyment of your vehicle. With the 500s, it's got great handling, and the brakes are something to behold.

Dr. Norts

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Race Red Mustang GT
When John Wick took his 69 to the air field there was some impressive moves shown there. Other than going really fast in a straight line I haven't pushed my car at all. Zero burn outs, I don't take it fast around turns, and no hard braking if I can help it. But I'm curious, with what we see in the movie....can the S550 GT do that? Or did the film's 69 have some heavy mods done to it and/or some fancy camera work? I have Indy 500 Firehawks if that helps.

Thanks!
If you think that's impressive go watch Ken Blocks Pikes Peak Hoonicorn videos.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
When John Wick took his 69 to the air field there was some impressive moves shown there. Other than going really fast in a straight line I haven't pushed my car at all. Zero burn outs, I don't take it fast around turns, and no hard braking if I can help it. But I'm curious, with what we see in the movie....can the S550 GT do that?
Even a base S550 GT should be able to duplicate the paths of the turns he was making . . . at faster speeds, without all or maybe any of the sliding. And an S550 will outbrake it badly without getting anywhere near ABS intervention.

Or did the film's 69 have some heavy mods done to it and/or some fancy camera work?
It was mostly driver technique, techniques more related to the show-off sport of drifting than to the serious side of corner-carving (these being the smooth un-flashy skills that are good to have in your street-driving playbook). The only mechanical things I could see that wouldn't have been OE was a set of traction bars to help control that leaf-spring axle and what looked like headers.

Flame not intended, just very bluntly spoken . . . if you aren't comfortable taking corners more briskly than what you see in most other traffic and don't ever use the brakes any harder than necessary, you shouldn't be going really fast in a straight line either.

As already mentioned, get some instruction with respect to at least those items. At least do a little autocrossing, preferably including some instructed runs. Being more comfortable at high cornering and braking g's will take most of the panic away when you have to do them "for real".

On burnouts - once you've done one or two decent ones, there's nothing left to prove. It's been over 50 years since I did my last one of those. It's maybe been 50 hours since the last "fast corner" or "hard braking".

Norm

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150

Thanks!
Out of curiosity - why did you get a PP car then ?
I second Norm's advice - go take it autocrossing. It's a car, meant to be driven. I took my 8 days old car autocrossing putting 14 runs on it and guess what - it's fine. You will become infinitely better driver and it can at some point actually save your life.

PJR202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP Shadow Black
Out of curiosity - why did you get a PP car then ?
I second Norm's advice - go take it autocrossing. It's a car, meant to be driven. I took my 8 days old car autocrossing putting 14 runs on it and guess what - it's fine. You will become infinitely better driver and it can at some point actually save your life.
I've been wanting to try autocross for a long time. How hard is it on a set of tires?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I've been wanting to try autocross for a long time. How hard is it on a set of tires?
Depends how hard your drive, if you're starting you generally will not be able to put any significant wear on them, especially during one event - but in general if anything sees wear - it's tires.
Not sure where in KY are you, but CKR region has events in Lexington I believe, KY in Louisville and if you're in Northern part - come over to our Cincy SCCA events.