Sponsored

Can I use Mobil 1?

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Soooooo I guess that's a no to Mobil 1.......?
Ford isn't going to void your warranty (apparently) - but doesn't recommend that you do... but physically - yeah it can work.
Sponsored

MrCincinnati

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I taped off the lower grill and cooler openings last winter and had great results with better temps. Without blocking the coolers, my transmission oil temp would barely get to 100 degrees under any style of driving.
Yikes. More reason for me to avoid cold weather driving this car.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Guys, why do you complicate your lives in this fashion, and NOT run recommended oil... I don't see a reason. You have too much sleep time at night or something ...

If it breakish, Ford fixish.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I taped off the lower grill and cooler openings last winter and had great results with better temps. Without blocking the coolers, my transmission oil temp would barely get to 100 degrees under any style of driving.
What product did you use to do that? I can't imagine it gets very cold in Arkansas, but I agree the car is over-cooled when ambient temperatures are below ~50 F. I've considered blocking some openings, but I didn't want to mess up my grill.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Soooooo I guess that's a no to Mobil 1.......?
Like [MENTION=17943]MAV[/MENTION] and MrCincinnati said - you can do whatever you want. I spent enough on my GT350 that there's no way I'm going to switch to a non-recommended oil. I think the factory oil is fine and it doesn't seem extraordinarily expensive to me.

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
But I also don't believe the "recommendation" to use 5w-50 in a street car that was advertised as "the most track capable" car is purely design driven.
I get a facial tic whenever I see this :lol:

OP
OP
enzo101

enzo101

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Garrett
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 R
I think I'm just going to go Motorcraft. Anyone got it for a cheaper price than the dealer?

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

MAV

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350
What product did you use to do that? I can't imagine it gets very cold in Arkansas, but I agree the car is over-cooled when ambient temperatures are below ~50 F. I've considered blocking some openings, but I didn't want to mess up my grill.
Scotch 3M electrical tape. They make it in wider rolls, and I used that to seal the grill. I trimmed the edges with a sharp blade so it wouldn't look bad. Worked like a champ.

It doesn't get all that cold here, but it also doesn't get warm enough that I needed to take it off until spring. I'll do it again in a month or two.

snaproll

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
350R/88LX/FR500S
Ford isn't in the oil business so someone is supplying it. Could it be Mobil 1 in a red bottle? Castrol? Someone knows ... but Mobil 1 has got to be just fine in any event.

Sponsored

STCoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 07 Ram 3500, 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I run Mobil 1 with no concerns, I did a ton of research prior to running. I will put a small bit of info below, you can do you own research prior to running what you want. I based mine off of API rating.

Motorcraft® 5W-50 Full Synthetic Motor Oil

[FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular][FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular]
PRODUCT TYPICALS​
[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular][FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular]SAE Grade[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular][FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular]5W-50[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular][FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular]API Service[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular][FONT=Ford Antenna Regular,Ford Antenna Regular]SN[/FONT][/FONT]

Mobil 1 5W-50 meets or exceeds the requirements of:
API SN, SM, SL, SJACEA A3/B3, A3/B4

STCoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350, 07 Ram 3500, 02 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Sorry about the formatting, it doesn't want to play nice.

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I think some of this recommended oil shit is complete BS.
Why Motorcraft? Why?
Maybe it is because Motorcraft is an auto parts brand of American automotive corporation Ford Motor Company? hmmm I wonder. I don't think Ford would recommend something they don't make money off of.

Mobil 1 is fine! If Porsche recommends it, I'll use it. If Porsche recommends I put milk duds in my ass before drinking coffee, I'm doing it!

Important factors here: full synthetic, and same weight/viscosity.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Mobil 1 is fine! If Porsche recommends it, I'll use it. If Porsche recommends I put milk duds in my ass before drinking coffee, I'm doing it!
Where oh where do I begin with this...:lol:

FWIW, I'm using Motorcraft. I might switch to Amsoil eventually because I can get a deal and a half from a friend.

Destro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
Where oh where do I begin with this...:lol:

FWIW, I'm using Motorcraft. I might switch to Amsoil eventually because I can get a deal and a half from a friend.
lol

Being serious for just a second, my first oil change will be to Amsoil. Is your friend looking for more friends? I can bbq!
Sponsored