Sponsored

Can I mix tires front and rear?

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Can I use Michelin pilot super sport at front (265/35/20) with Michelin pilot 2 at rear (305/35/20)?
Sponsored

Hogie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
The simple answer is yes. However, you may have different handling characteristics. I have seen cars with no matching tires. Though they were usually cheaper than two Mustang car payments.

MSMStannyl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium - Triple Yellow
As was said above, yes, technically you can. As long as everything fits and there's no rubbing, you can do whatever you want. However, it could definitely cause some issues with the handling dynamics of the car since the tire properties are different front/rear.

Then again, our cars aren't 50/50 weight balanced, which is where I would assume it would be most noticeable. Still, I can't imagine anyone would RECOMMEND doing this although you should be ok. Just give it some time to feel how it affects the cars handling.

https://blog.tirerack.com/blog/colintirerackcom/is-it-ok-to-mix-tires

OP
OP
panic

panic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
The simple answer is yes. However, you may have different handling characteristics. I have seen cars with no matching tires. Though they were usually cheaper than two Mustang car payments.
I could find both front and rear Michelin Super Sport type but with the rear in the size 295/35/20, fact is I want to use size 305/35/20 with my new rims...

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
You can do so

Only thing is you want the Treadwear to be as close as you can, in this case yes.

Sponsored

Osvic@N4SM

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Gt
Can I use Michelin pilot super sport at front (265/35/20) with Michelin pilot 2 at rear (305/35/20)?
You could mix and match tires of course! It is just everything is different! Performance wise, handling, thread, price wise, EVERYTHING some tires may finish faster than others and it will look a bit odd. But simple answer is yes! If you need any help with wheels and tires email me at [email protected]

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
You _can_ mix tires front/rear, but you're going to get some dramatic handling quirks at the limit of cornering.

You probably don't want the sticker tires on the front and less-grippy tires on the back unless you're very adept at reacting to sudden oversteer.

While you can do it, it's almost never recommended. In general, is a bad idea if you drive aggressively.

08StangGT_CS

Fight The Urge to Boost
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Race Red No Options
How different is this than running a staggered setup? Don't you already have different degrees of grip just due to this?

Also don't a lot of people run drag radials in the back and regular tires in the front? (I did this in my last mustang).

Just trying to learn here as I think I'll have to mix to run the tire sizes I'm looking for.

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
im running all season federal tires front and firehawks rear and have to issues what so ever just depends what your doing with the car really

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
How different is this than running a staggered setup? Don't you already have different degrees of grip just due to this?

Also don't a lot of people run drag radials in the back and regular tires in the front? (I did this in my last mustang).

Just trying to learn here as I think I'll have to mix to run the tire sizes I'm looking for.
Just because it's done outside the track doesn't make it a good idea.
Sponsored