Sponsored

Can changing your own oil void warranty?

hailo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
My car will be due for an oil change. I would like to change my own oil. Can changing your own oil void warranty? I also have installed a corsa exhaust, will this void my warranty? I have done it in the past with all my other cars (non Ford), and the warranty was not affected.
Sponsored

TaraFirma

Wait.....Wut?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 GT, 17 GT350, 19 GT, 65 coupe, 13 F-150, 14 Porsche Panamera eHybrid
If you use an oil that is not up to FMC spec, and you have an engine failure, they will deny a warranty claim.
If your exhaust parts are all after the cats, you should be good. You'll run into issues if the dealer you take it to is not "mod friendly"

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
When I had my 2016 GT, I called 3 ford dealerships near me and asked if doing the exhaust would void any powertrain warranty. They said the only ones that would raise questions would be if I had headers (which would mean I also had a tune). Doing a catback exhaust does not void warranty. Doing your own oil changes will 100% not void your warranty. Nobody will treat your car as nicely as you do, most enthusiasts do their own oil changes.

Keep the receipt of the oil you buy, take pictures of you changing the oil if you really want to get crazy. Mark the mileage of when it was done and that's it.

vernonator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP - Race Red
NOTHING you do will "Void" your warranty. Now they may deny a claim if they feel whatever you did caused the problem and you can fight that. However no matter the outcome your warranty will still be in place and able to be used until it expires.

Roger Blose

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Roger
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 1988 Mustang GT, 2009 Lincoln MKZ
I have changed my oil three times on my 2018 GT in 6000 miles. The first two changes were pretty grim with lots of metallic crud in the catch pan. I use the Walmart purchased MC blend 5-20, a MC FL-500 filter, and take a photo of all of the materials lined up in front of my car on ramps. Next I take a big piece of cardboard and write the date and mileage on it and include this in the photo. Finally, I keep the sales receipts in a folder for future use if needed. Also, do yourself a big favor and purchase at the dealer two or more new plastic drain plugs/bolts. Keep one in the car and one in your tool box. Cheap insurance!
Sponsored