Sponsored

CAN bus mapping for Race Capture ?

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Anyone figured out CAN bus IDs for things like Brake Pressure and Steering Wheel Angle ?

S197 presets don't seem to work (I'll experiment some more but at least first shot wasn't successful). Google search brings nothing, search on the forum is mostly someone asking question and others not knowing what he's asking about...
Sponsored

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Gotta spend the time to sniff, then unpackage and do the math/scaling. It’s not hard, but very time consuming from all the trial and error required. I’ve done it on prior cars, but all desired inputs were already available for the S550 by the time I picked up an AIM (including brake pressure and steering angle) - unfortunately, the config is locked down, so nothing I can share. Best bet is to collaborate on the racecapture forum with others to divide & conquer.

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Responding to my own thread. Here are the mapping that do work for me (they're off GT350 thread on Race Capture forum). One discovery though is that if you drive with a Dyno plug pulled , there is no steering angle being broadcasted (at least not on that CAN channel). There are different theories whether Dyno plug has some side effects (like disabled ABS which isn't the case) - this is one of them - whether it is significant - I don't know but would think that some of car systems (potentially Magneride) could be using that data for something.

Anyway :

PXL_20210918_225155506.jpg

PXL_20210918_225217239.jpg

Jossyfilms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2018 orange fury gt350
Just picked up a race capture system and trying to figure out where to connect to the Canbus system. Where did you connect to?

OP
OP
kz

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
Just picked up a race capture system and trying to figure out where to connect to the Canbus system. Where did you connect to?
OBD port (just remember OBD is always powered and will discharge your battery if you leave RCP connected permanently).

Sponsored

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
I had to tap into the CAN+ and CAN- wires going into the Gateway Network Module. I have a 2020 and it wouldn't transmit the CAN data through the OBD2 port. I don't remember which wires I used but I can take a look at it in a few days when I'm back in town. I also pulled power from a switched power source in the console (I think I used the cig lighter) and ground there which prevents it from draining the battery all the time. This configuration has worked reliably for me. I'll follow up with pics.

Jossyfilms

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jose
Vehicle(s)
2018 orange fury gt350
I had to tap into the CAN+ and CAN- wires going into the Gateway Network Module. I have a 2020 and it wouldn't transmit the CAN data through the OBD2 port. I don't remember which wires I used but I can take a look at it in a few days when I'm back in town. I also pulled power from a switched power source in the console (I think I used the cig lighter) and ground there which prevents it from draining the battery all the time. This configuration has worked reliably for me. I'll follow up with pics.
Thanks I’d really appreciate that!

Gearz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350
Here is a picture that shows how I tapped the CAN wires on the Network Gateway Module. The blue and white wires are the CAN high and low data wires although I honestly can't remember which is high or low.
PXL_20230330_000046391.jpg

The yellow cable goes to my RCT MK3 and I connect power and ground upstream in the console. Here is the MK3 velcro'd to the base of the armrest storage. The GPS antenna is mounted under the center speaker grill in the middle of the dash.
PXL_20230204_160151523.jpg
Sponsored