Sponsored

Can anyone explain why the manual gearbox is made in china?

Status
Not open for further replies.

aardvark

As a Ford shareholder, obviously the company's bottom line is of concern to me.

However, "Made in China" anything on a Mustang is just wrong. Let's face it, the magic words "Made in China" are pretty much synonymous with "Sorry. We went with the cheapest of the cheap on this." Not what you want to see on a Mustang.

I understand that the market for high-performance MTs in North America is limited, so maybe a domestic gearbox isn't economically viable. I don't know. But Made in China? Seriously, that's the best we can do? Companies like ZF and Getrag are making high-end MTs in Europe. Sure, it'd add a few hundred bucks to each unit and probably cost Ford several million dollars per year, but in my opinion, it's a drop in the bucket for a multibillion dollar operation like Ford when it comes to a halo product like the Mustang.
Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium/PP and 2006 F150 FX4
What about these?

Volkswagen owns: Audi, Bentley, Bugatti, Lamborghini, Porsche, and overseas-brands SEAT and Skoda.
I am aware of that.... actually Audi owns Lamborghini[emoji6] but still, I am aware of the car lineups within the volkswagon group.... can you imagine VW purchasing FIAT? I cringed when I read about it but it would also help some of the quality within Chrysler/Dodge... well, hopefully... but I am not a dodge kind of person

S550_Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium PP
Take the jobs from China, make more jobs here, more money goes into our economy, and employers can pay employees more money because their companies will make more money.

Having millions of unemployed people, because jobs aren't here, hurts our economy severally, because if people don't have money, they aren't going to spend money.

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Apple hardware is manufactured in China. Plenty of things are. It saves money and doesn't necessarily imply that you'll have a lesser quality product.

It's common for OEMs to distribute manufacturing on a global scale.
You will also find a ton of knockoff apple anything reverse engineered overseas... I saw tons of those overseas in tge haji shops

S550_Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
As a Ford shareholder, obviously the company's bottom line is of concern to me.

However, "Made in China" anything on a Mustang is just wrong. Let's face it, the magic words "Made in China" are pretty much synonymous with "Sorry. We went with the cheapest of the cheap on this." Not what you want to see on a Mustang.

I understand that the market for high-performance MTs in North America is limited, so maybe a domestic gearbox isn't economically viable. I don't know. But Made in China? Seriously, that's the best we can do? Companies like ZF and Getrag are making high-end MTs in Europe. Sure, it'd add a few hundred bucks to each unit and probably cost Ford several million dollars per year, but in my opinion, it's a drop in the bucket for a multibillion dollar operation like Ford when it comes to a halo product like the Mustang.
Cut 1% from every board member and executive and you will have plenty of money to cover the items being built here instead of China.

Sponsored

Seabee1973

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
Back in the day, the engines in the explorers/sport trac were made in Germany

S550_Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The United States lost approximately 2.7 million jobs to China from 2001 to 2011, according to an August 2012 report from the left-leaning Economic Policy Institute. Of those jobs, nearly 77 percent were in the manufacturing sector.

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
That's pure BS. The savings that go into building it in China goes straight to the pockets of the CEO's and other executives...

Former Ford CEO Alan Mulally, who retired Tuesday, received compensation of $23.2 million for 2013 with a salary of $2 million and an additional $5.9 million in cash bonus as well as $15.3 million in long-term stock options, performance equity awards and compensation for items such as security.

Bill Ford, executive chairman, reported total compensation of $12 million including a $2 million salary last year.
It is up to the Board of Directors to decide how much the CEO should be paid. The BOD is elected by the shareholders. If you are a shareholder, and you have a problem with how much the CEO is making, you are more then welcome to take it up at the BOD at the next shareholders meeting. Not a shareholder? None of your business and it is irrelevant to the conversation of where the transmission is made anyhow.

BTW, if you are bothered by the fact the transmission is made in China, the Mustang GT IIRC has only 55% North American content in it. It is a GLOBAL car. Tremec transmission in the past seems to be reserved for high end Mustang

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks

S550_Magnetic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It is up to the Board of Directors to decide how much the CEO should be paid. The BOD is elected by the shareholders. If you are a shareholder, and you have a problem with how much the CEO is making, you are more then welcome to take it up at the BOD at the next shareholders meeting. Not a shareholder? None of your business and it is irrelevant to the conversation of where the transmission is made anyhow.

BTW, if you are bothered by the fact the transmission is made in China, the Mustang GT IIRC has only 55% North American content in it. It is a GLOBAL car. Tremec transmission in the past seems to be reserved for high end Mustang
Doesn't matter to me, I was just making a point and it does relate to anything being made in China.

Sponsored

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
That's pure BS. The savings that go into building it in China goes straight to the pockets of the CEO's and other executives...

Former Ford CEO Alan Mulally, who retired Tuesday, received compensation of $23.2 million for 2013 with a salary of $2 million and an additional $5.9 million in cash bonus as well as $15.3 million in long-term stock options, performance equity awards and compensation for items such as security.

Bill Ford, executive chairman, reported total compensation of $12 million including a $2 million salary last year.
Yeh, and that's why they build things in China, so they can make more money. They are a business, they are out to make money, by selling a product. They don't do things for the consumer, they produce items to be consumed in exchange for money.

If people stopped buying the product, they would change it (like by making parts locally instead of in China) to make it more attractive to the consumer or go bust.

As loyal as a lot of people are to car makers and other large, faceless companies, they are not your buddies, they are just trying to get your money as cheaply as possible.

Rickycardo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT auto
Take the jobs from China, make more jobs here, more money goes into our economy, and employers can pay employees more money because their companies will make more money.
Sorry but that's not how it's done. Wages are paid based on the agreed value created, not economic conditions, costs of living or lifestyle choices. If you want more pay create more value.

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
Doesn't matter to me, I was just making a point and it does relate to anything being made in China.
The point is that the company wants to make whatever margins on any item they manufacture. They can't achieve those margins and offer a price people in the US are willing to pay if it is 100% domestic. This is why companies like Viking manufacture stuff for rich people only, they have to pander to a luxury market to even have a hope of their desired profits.

Your point that the CEO wants that money is really irrelevant to the fact that they are using China to achieve their desire for more money.

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
made in the USA isn't always a guarantee of quality... Look at the misaligned body panels that have been posted all over the place the last few days. Where were those made and assembled? Right here in the USA. I haven't heard any complaints about the China made transmission failing anyone though...

Black GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Mustang GT BBP 6R80
I cringed reading the window sticker, does this car use a tremec 6060 or something? Why cant we build these in the USA. So ridiculous and it makes me love all my toploader 4 speeds even more now.
FYI.....Tremec is made in Mexico.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.