Sponsored

Camshafts before manifold or supercharger?

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Yup check out the 555r II. DR made for the street. Can hook big power but still drive in the rain and has decent tread life.
I need new ones and don't want to pay Toyo prices again but I've read reviews from buyers who liked the older version better. that's very unusual. I'm going to hold off for more reviews on the new ones before I make that leap.
Sponsored

Rothgray

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Also, if you're looking for the cam lope and rumble, aftermarket cams do not really do that on this platform. The TiVCT pretty much normalizes that overlap.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I need new ones and don't want to pay Toyo prices again but I've read reviews from buyers who liked the older version better. that's very unusual. I'm going to hold off for more reviews on the new ones before I make that leap.
Really? I was stoked with all the additional sizes. I had to drop down to a 305 when I went from the G2 to the original R, so was amped about being able to go back to a 315 in the Rii.

Jmtoast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2018 Roush GT
Vehicle Showcase
Really? I was stoked with all the additional sizes. I had to drop down to a 305 when I went from the G2 to the original R, so was amped about being able to go back to a 315 in the Rii.
Yeah but they're new and it was only a couple reviewers on various sites. Just means I will wait for more feedback. Probably end up buying them anyways. One thing I will miss about the Toyo's are how sic they look poking out. just look nasty....

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
Firestone Firehawk Indy500's in 325/30/19
I'm running the same tires. I hoon a bit on the street, year later they're holding up very well. Getting em to hook is a bit tricky. On concrete forget about it. On asphalt, haze em up, Then slowly let the clutch up, In between riding it & dumping it kinda thing.

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Scaring me with that statement and I'm probably opening up a can of worms but... side cash for what? What could happen?
Any time you modify an engine you take a risk. Modify the engine too far and the risk goes up. I have had 4 FI setups and never had a failed short block. That said I have not pushed the limit if the engine either. I have used discretion. So you can listen to what we used to call "sea lawyers" in the Navy, or you can listen to some experienced discretionary people with FI setups who have enjoyed them. There is always a risk. Looking for a bullet proof promise that nothing will fail? Good luck. If you want that I suggest a nice pair of walking shoes.

To be honest being you are so concerned about engine failure at the drop of one obviously overly opinionated dip-wad stay stock and watch the world of modified V8 mustangs clear back to 1964.5 drive around you. Learn to be content. Because otherwise you are going to worry yourself to death every time some pinhead 'sea lawyer' with an opinion based on something he/she has read starts getting a running case of the mouth shits.

What is a "sea lawyer" you ask? Someone who speaks as an experienced expert based on pure hearsay and gossip rather than personal experience.

Final question you will be asking next..."Does adding FI reduce the life of an engine?"

Yes. Anytime you force more out of something the life will be reduced based on its original design and lifespan. To what level? Hard to say. Plenty of SVT 03/04 Cobra owners who took their stock 390 factory HP cobras, boosted the hell out of them leaving the bottom end alone and making 700RWHP plus and putting over 100K on the odometer before they gave up the ghost. They may have lasted to 120K stock or goner to 200K before failing who knows. My 05 made 507 at the wheel on a stock bottom end 3V and was seen being beaten like a wet noodle by the next owner years after I got rid of it. Mine had 40K on it when I sold it. Stock bottom end. My recent 2014 is easily pushing 50K (had 30K on it when I sold it 2 years ago and tons of passes) and went 10.82@ 131 at the track. The new owner has put it on E-85, added cams (why I do not know). oil pump gears, and LT's on an otherwise stock bottom end that is not as robust as the S550 Coyotes. He wishes to see how durable the 11-14 Coyote block is to more aggressive setups. He has a built SB waiting on the sideline knowing it will eventually give though. He's also going to turn the boost up from the current 10.5# pulley I had it on as well.

Which are you...a worry wart, or someone who wants to be near the front? Good luck to you. That's all I have to say on the subject.
Sponsored