Sponsored

Camouflaged Mustang Prototype Spied: Possible Refresh or Hybrid Model?

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
Can anyone make out the gas flap decals ?

Lithium + sub zero = Fast recharge issues (broad brush statement).

WD :like:
Sponsored

amk91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GTP PP and 2014 SVT Raptor SE
Our spy photographers just caught a new Ford Mustang GT prototype testing on the streets of Dearborn with covered fog lights and vinyl-wrap camouflage over the entire front clip up to the A-pillar including the front splitter, bumper and hood. The prototype is also wearing a mismatched white rear bumper.

Here's everything we know so far.

We've recently learned that the next-generation S650 Mustang has been delayed and likely pushed back to as far as the 2023 model year. This was first reported by Autoline Daily who relied on an Autoforecast Solutions report which placed the S650 SOP (start of production) at March 2022.

This delay calls into question the timing of the Mustang Hybrid, which was first announced back in January 2017 by then-CEO Mark Fields. At the time, Fields revealed that the plan was to debut the new engine in 2020. Recent developments, not least of which include the replacement of Fields with the current CEO, Jim Hackett, and the seeming new direction that Ford has taken since then, cast doubt on the timing of the Mustang Hybrid.

The most recent indication comes from an August 2018 statement made by Ford's EVP, Jim Farley, who said that the Mustang Hybrid was coming along nicely but still "a couple years away." Whether this means it will debut on the current S550 platform or the 7th generation S650 is unclear.

What we do know is that Ford has plans to reveal (this Spring) something new for Mustang with all signs pointing to a new higher-powered mid-tier 2.3-liter EcoBoost Mustang for the 2020 model year. With the S650 likely more than 3-years away until production, the Mustang could very well be due for another mid-cycle refresh before the next generation platform is introduced.

With its electrification plans fast-tracked under new leadership, and a recent teaser of the hybrid engine revealing an electrified V8-engine, this Mustang GT prototype might just show an upcoming 2020-21 Mustang refresh and/or Hybrid Mustang version.

Stay tuned!

2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-1.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-2.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-3.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-5.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-6.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-7.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-8.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-9.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-10.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-11.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-12.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-13.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-14.jpg

I'm loving how this all turned out to be somewhat correct considering that these photos were taken in February of 2019.

My finding the 2023 model year Easter egg proves that this report was correct, because S650 is nothing more than a revised car and not all-new as ex-CEO Mark Fields intended.

A lot of confusion because S650 was thought to still be all-new, versus watered-down into a tophat redo by Hackett.

Also figures that Ford probably didn't like the look of the facelift S550 and decided back in 2018 to correct it a bit more for 2021.

These photos are definitely not of a Mach 1.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I'm loving how this all turned out to be somewhat correct considering that these photos were taken in February of 2019.

My finding the 2023 model year Easter egg proves that this report was correct, because S650 is nothing more than a revised car and not all-new as ex-CEO Mark Fields intended.

A lot of confusion because S650 was thought to still be all-new, versus watered-down into a tophat redo by Hackett.

Also figures that Ford probably didn't like the look of the facelift S550 and decided back in 2018 to correct it a bit more for 2021.

These photos are definitely not of a Mach 1.
Are we sure it wasn't a Mach 1 though?

This one was spotted in February of this year. The assumption at the time was that it was either a '21MY fresh or a Mach 1 being tested. The Mach 1 theory being that the front turn signals were mounted higher up as the new coolers were roughly mounted up front.

However, I get your point. With S650 coming for the '23MY, and with it being a heavily modified S550 rather than all-new, any S650 mules could be hiding in plain sight as we'd just assume they are S550s.

If this isn't a Mach 1 prototype it has to be a very early S650..........and I only state that because of the Grabber Yellow '21MY Ecoboost I posted in the other thread. That has the same fascia as the '20MY, indicating no external (at least) refresh.
21MY Refresh 1.jpg
21MY Refresh 5.jpg

Sponsored

oneheadlite

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT PP1 2008 Saturn Sky Redline
Our spy photographers just caught a new Ford Mustang GT prototype testing on the streets of Dearborn with covered fog lights and vinyl-wrap camouflage over the entire front clip up to the A-pillar including the front splitter, bumper and hood. The prototype is also wearing a mismatched white rear bumper.

Here's everything we know so far.

We've recently learned that the next-generation S650 Mustang has been delayed and likely pushed back to as far as the 2023 model year. This was first reported by Autoline Daily who relied on an Autoforecast Solutions report which placed the S650 SOP (start of production) at March 2022.

This delay calls into question the timing of the Mustang Hybrid, which was first announced back in January 2017 by then-CEO Mark Fields. At the time, Fields revealed that the plan was to debut the new engine in 2020. Recent developments, not least of which include the replacement of Fields with the current CEO, Jim Hackett, and the seeming new direction that Ford has taken since then, cast doubt on the timing of the Mustang Hybrid.

The most recent indication comes from an August 2018 statement made by Ford's EVP, Jim Farley, who said that the Mustang Hybrid was coming along nicely but still "a couple years away." Whether this means it will debut on the current S550 platform or the 7th generation S650 is unclear.

What we do know is that Ford has plans to reveal (this Spring) something new for Mustang with all signs pointing to a new higher-powered mid-tier 2.3-liter EcoBoost Mustang for the 2020 model year. With the S650 likely more than 3-years away until production, the Mustang could very well be due for another mid-cycle refresh before the next generation platform is introduced.

With its electrification plans fast-tracked under new leadership, and a recent teaser of the hybrid engine revealing an electrified V8-engine, this Mustang GT prototype might just show an upcoming 2020-21 Mustang refresh and/or Hybrid Mustang version.

Stay tuned!

2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-1.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-2.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-3.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-5.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-6.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-7.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-8.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-9.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-10.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-11.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-12.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-13.jpg
2020-21-Mustang-Refresh-Hybrid-Prototype-14.jpg
MAN!!
It would be COOL to have that exhaust ...........
.....if they shoot flames out of 'em...........

UNtamed67

Silver Shadow
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A couple...
Vehicle Showcase
Just put the Hybrid Explorer Ecoboost 3L V6 in it with 66 CO² and plenty of EU people will be very happy !

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Just put the Hybrid Explorer Ecoboost 3L V6 in it with 66 CO² and plenty of EU people will be very happy !
No such thing.

Explorer uses the 3.3NA for hybrid. The Lincoln uses the 3l EcoBoost as a PHEV.
Sponsored