Sponsored

Camouflaged Mustang Prototype Spied: Possible Refresh or Hybrid Model?

Genxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT / Perf pack / DIB
Vehicle Showcase
A hybrid for performance reasons wouldn't be such a bad thing. The supercars are doing it. Thing is, I'm afraid it would make the Mustang more expensive than the everyman's car it has been.
Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
27157413_10212075777949508_2034472552_n.jpg

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Any interest in ever getting an S550? Seems odd you've been a moderator and such an active member of this forum for a car which you don't own.

I'm just genuinely curious. I don't mean to be offensive at all
No offence taken :)

I was a very early member of this forum....in fact, we didn't even know what the S550 looked like back then. I was/am a moderator on a number of Mustang forums/FB pages here in the UK and I jumped at the chance of being a Moderator here when Jarstang asked. Being in the UK it meant he had "eyes" on the forum during "offline" hours. I had, and still do, intend to get an S550, but my financial circumstances took a nosedive when my wife changed jobs.....and the S197 is a garage-queen who's going nowhere, so the S550 will be an addition to the fleet, when it eventually happens :)

Now, back to that prototype.....if that IS a Mach 1 (with a V8) that might just be the one to get me to sell the S197......maybe lol

awmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium PP
Looking closely at the passenger front inner fender liner, it appears there is ducting, or an opening. I wonder if the 2020 will come with brake cooling ducts that are more functional than previous attempts? Maybe the front lower corners of the bumper cover will now have the brake cooling inlets.

The mule isn’t a Performance Pack vehicle, because there’s no gauges in the upper dash.

Also to note:
All 2019’s with active exhaust are quad tips, non-active is just duals.

I don’t think the Mule represents any hybrid, it’s too early to have one out and about, plus if it were there would be a lot more camo and probably more revised from end.

From the pics, I’m more curious as to why there is a Bullitt Mule...
That's not necessarily true. Mules are slapped together with whatever is handy. I've seen pics of Mustang mules where there wiper stalk had a rear wiper control. Those gauges aren't relevant to the performance and tuning so there would be no reason the mule had to include them.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
No offence taken :)

I was a very early member of this forum....in fact, we didn't even know what the S550 looked like back then. I was/am a moderator on a number of Mustang forums/FB pages here in the UK and I jumped at the chance of being a Moderator here when Jarstang asked. Being in the UK it meant he had "eyes" on the forum during "offline" hours. I had, and still do, intend to get an S550, but my financial circumstances took a nosedive when my wife changed jobs.....and the S197 is a garage-queen who's going nowhere, so the S550 will be an addition to the fleet, when it eventually happens :)

Now, back to that prototype.....if that IS a Mach 1 (with a V8) that might just be the one to get me to sell the S197......maybe lol
I hear that. I've had an S550 and currently have a S197 still. In the future I hope to keep the S197 and get one of the future generations if the V8 is still around. I like the modern body style of the S550 but also like the old school looks of the S197.

@Topnotch that car looks good besides the lower grille. I feel like the lower grille should be more open or the upper grille be more closed. Love the wheels and the color too.

Sponsored

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If only! I banged that drum long and hard, but even I have to give up and realise Ford have forgotten what the Mach 1 was, or should be (see the electric SUV "Mach 1" for reference).

However..........as the Bullitt is a '19/'20MY deal, perhaps they could give us a Mach 1 for '21/'22MY, using the Bullitt's engine-spec etc. Dammit man, you've got me dreaming again!!!!
It sounds like Ford has plans for some kind of hybrid V8 Mustang and the Mach 1 name might be a good fit.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
May I remind everyone of our rule (#3) about inter-model bashing:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...of-conduct-please-read-before-posting.118153/

3. Inter Model Bashing — The forum will not tolerate any bashing of another member's choice of vehicle, options/equipment, modifications, stock vs. non stock etc. Respect for all models and model years (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, 2015-17, 2018+, etc) is expected of all members.

Thank you :like:
It's not a GT350 or a GT500 so it's a crappy car anyway, I don't see why the fuss.... :sunglasses:

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I am thinking this is more of a SVO'esque type offering.

Something similar to the PP2, but using the upgraded 2.3 Ecoboost. With a possible electric assist for low end torque (acceleration) and greater MPG for city driving. (But with more than 420 pounds of thrust, dialed in by how much tire slip you want/desire/program, etc.)
Assuming per wheel fwd motor/generators, typical peaks are +35hp and +40lbft per motor on mid-range units currently. The motors are quite a bit more powerful than that, but peaking at different rpms than ICEs, so the impact is quite a bit more significant than those figures suggest.

Either way, 420 lb/ft of torque with similar power is a very reasonable expectation for a 2.3L Ecooboost hybrid, assuming of course that they don't retune it in an effort to squeeze more MPGs.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Love the wheels and the color too.
Those wheels are from the Fiesta ST. I love them too, unfortunately they're freakishly small and don't fit our cars, except in photoshop ;)

Reactions: Ebm

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
The more that I think about it the more I'm convinced the model coming this year is a Mustang ST with the Focus RS version of the 2.3 doing the same 350 hp and 350 lb/ft. With the original ST models on their way out (Focus and Fiesta), I think they have to tie ST in with Mustang in order to keep some type of credibility with the badge. If all it's on is big heavy SUVs, I think it would cheapen the name. Whether or not they care about that, who knows. But a pumped up EB with GTPP or PP2 hardware is easy to do and makes the most sense. It also would make sense for Europe and tie in nicely with the other ST models there. I'm starting to doubt that Ford would go to the trouble of engineering a hybrid powertrain to fit into a car that's near the end of its lifecycle.

Sponsored

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
The more that I think about it the more I'm convinced the model coming this year is a Mustang ST with the Focus RS version of the 2.3 doing the same 350 hp and 350 lb/ft. With the original ST models on their way out (Focus and Fiesta), I think they have to tie ST in with Mustang in order to keep some type of credibility with the badge. If all it's on is big heavy SUVs, I think it would cheapen the name. Whether or not they care about that, who knows. But a pumped up EB with GTPP or PP2 hardware is easy to do and makes the most sense. It also would make sense for Europe and tie in nicely with the other ST models there. I'm starting to doubt that Ford would go to the trouble of engineering a hybrid powertrain to fit into a car that's near the end of its lifecycle.
I agree with you Ford has to do something to keep the ST name "sporty" and tying it to the Mustang make sense. I also thing your spot on with the hybrid Ford will want to engineer the system to Mustangs new platform and they already have a leg up since the Explorer is going to have a hybrid option.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Thanks TN......interesting how they know it's a V8....

"What has me curious, however, are the emissions testing pipes. These special pipes for EPA testing lead off the standard exhaust pipes from four exit points. That signifies it’s a V8 Mustang GT, as opposed to the EcoBoost version which has dual exhaust ports"

mustangs-testing-4-1024x576.jpg

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Interesting to note while looking at closer images of those Rockies test mules compared to the earlier Camo mule:

There are large rectangular “boxes” on top of the dash in each with (2) incorporated ventilation fans clearly seen on the back side (facing out windshield). So either that’s a massive onboard gauge monitoring cluster or (speculating here) that’s somehow tied to a hybrid system....

Another interesting factor to consider:
Just recently in the news there has been reporting on how other Electric vehicles have been fairing poorly in extreme cold weather (below 0 conditions), specifically their battery systems.

I’d put a guess in that it could be possible Ford is testing hybrid technology in extreme temps.... because we all know those Pirellis are pure shit in cold weather temps and won’t get a Mustang anywhere quick in the snow covered Rockies....

(Why is it that someone is able to take those exterior shots, but can’t take the interior shots.... I mean c’mon if you’re THAT close to a test mule, go full bore and take tons of pics of anything possible)

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Why is it that someone is able to take those exterior shots, but can’t take the interior shots.... I mean c’mon if you’re THAT close to a test mule, go full bore and take tons of pics of anything possible)
Spy photographers are usally not as near the cars as it seems, they just have realld good lenses to zoom in that close.
Sponsored