Sponsored

Camouflaged Mustang Prototype Spied: Possible Refresh or Hybrid Model?

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I see some sort of boxes on both cars next to the exhaust. Emissions testing???
Now I see a sticker above on the white bumper that says caution fuel drain so maybe not.
Sponsored

BigBeed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 401a PP2
If you look closely the exhaust tips have v band flanges on them. Probably for quickly hooking up and disconnecting the exhaust to emissions and performance analyzing equipment and exhaust fans during dyno testing.

Hi-PO Stang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Shelby GT500
I am thinking the pictures are of a 2.3 liter high output Ecoboost powered Mustang . I would not be surprised to see the front fenders and hood are made from the same material as the 2020 GT500. I can see an Ecoboost Mustang built for those who want a small engine for fun street driving and ready for track days on a road course.

Thatguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue Convertible (sold)

Sponsored

geep81

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Premium
I bet a lot of people would love a slower Mustang that "feels fast" due to a lot of low end torque from a turbo hybrid for daily and city driving. It'll be heavier and slower than a GT, but with tunes and mods probably be something very nice in a drag race.

Derkluge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mustang Hybrid
It'll be heavier and slower than a GT...
Totally agree with the main point of your post.

Regarding the statement above, there’s no doubt a 2.3T EcoBoost hybrid would be slower than a GT. I think the jury is out on whether it would be heavier. It’s very possible, if not likely, that it would be a 48v mild system. If I understand correctly, the 48v battery would probably weigh less than 20 lbs and there would be a small electric motor between the gas motor and transmission. I suppose there are other components for the regenerative brakes, etc., but I’d be surprised if the total system adds much more than 100 lbs.

Shipey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 DHG Bullitt.
Mustang Hybrid.......what a stupid idea. Can anyone tell me what model hybrid sells in any volume is the US that has ICE as an option? I can. NONE! Dumb idea won't sell waste of time and money.
I'm AGAINST their determination to build a four door Mustang. That kills the sports car/muscle car image for me. They could easily sell more Fusions by upping the parts tolerances and quality control. But NO, instead of competing with better built foreign competition, they fold and run! They could even make a lifted all-wheel drive Fusion wagon to go head-to-head with the Subaru Outback, and their technology is already in place. Makes me think that there are few "car guys" among their planners and leaders.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
May I remind everyone of our rule (#3) about inter-model bashing:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...of-conduct-please-read-before-posting.118153/

3. Inter Model Bashing — The forum will not tolerate any bashing of another member's choice of vehicle, options/equipment, modifications, stock vs. non stock etc. Respect for all models and model years (EcoBoost, V6, GT, GT350, 2015-17, 2018+, etc) is expected of all members.

Thank you :like:

Sponsored

OH3Cobra

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Cobra Convertible
New SVO? High output ecoboost with all the handling goodies?

law242

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
I know it says gt but the grills look like the ecoboost ones. I'm saying it's an eco with the GT badge to throw people off.
But yet it has the GT Brembo PP brakes and not the Ecoboost PP brakes

Petroleum Jesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
If this was the hybrid, the front end would not be that well put together. Packaging of the motor/generators is likely far from production ready, and would require some modifications to the suspension, spindle, and brake assemblies that would be either fairly obvious or (more likely) entirely obscured from view by wider fenders and some type of masking on the wheels.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Looking closely at the passenger front inner fender liner, it appears there is ducting, or an opening. I wonder if the 2020 will come with brake cooling ducts that are more functional than previous attempts? Maybe the front lower corners of the bumper cover will now have the brake cooling inlets.

The mule isn’t a Performance Pack vehicle, because there’s no gauges in the upper dash.

Also to note:
All 2019’s with active exhaust are quad tips, non-active is just duals.

I don’t think the Mule represents any hybrid, it’s too early to have one out and about, plus if it were there would be a lot more camo and probably more revised from end.

From the pics, I’m more curious as to why there is a Bullitt Mule...
Sponsored